Pest in potato patch...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alukban

Bearcat
An unlucky pest who was raiding my newly planted potato plot, shot at 15 yards, standing two hand hold at 8:15 AM...
P1000668.jpg

The gun is a Bisley Single Six with a 4 inch Douglas barrel, front sight and round butt done by Clements Custom Guns. The ammo used was Remington Golden Bullet 550 bulk pack from Walmart.
L1070129.jpg

...cleaned with a mini hatchet, cooked and eaten for breakfast by 9:30 AM :)
L1070131.jpg

P1000673.jpg

I had a good night...
P1000666.jpg

EarlB

Bearcat
Dude! Your foot purt'near looks to be in the fire! All I know is I envy you...at 105-106 degrees I'm not even thinking about firing up my grill or doing nothing with fire! Hell I don't even want to be outside right now! :)

Earl

c.r.

Single-Sixer
EarlB":3n75n9wg said:
Dude! Your foot purt'near looks to be in the fire! All I know is I envy you...at 105-106 degrees I'm not even thinking about firing up my grill or doing nothing with fire! Hell I don't even want to be outside right now! :)

Earl

I couldn't have said it better. :lol:

OK, this is violating something I was taught as a boy and have followed every since. I was always taught that you don't handle and/or eat rabbits when it is hot. Best to wait until there has been a hard freeze. Ideally snow on the ground. Otherwise you can get some disease from them?

I've got rabbits in my garden as well. I've just been thinking about shooting a couple of them and tossing them to the dogs since I didn't think I was supposed to eat them now!

Gregg

contender

Ruger Guru
I always heard that you should always wait for a hard frost before eating game as well. However, many years ago,,, a wise man asked me; "Do you think the indians waited to eat meat until it frosted?"
Careful inspection, proper cleaning, and you will be good to go.

cas6969

Buckeye
Im SURE that was last winter when the season was open, hence the fire. :wink:

(pay no attention to all the green stuff)

EarlB

Bearcat
Are you kidding me? New York has a hunting season for rabbits? :)

Oh man I pitty you guys :)

Earl

cas":1aejzpdx said:
Im SURE that was last winter when the season was open, hence the fire. :wink:

(pay no attention to all the green stuff)

mt

Single-Sixer
Yeah the rabbit thang. I was taught you only eat rabbits killed during a month with the letter "r" in it. Then again this is South Texas and it do get toasty around here.

mt :D

andyo5

Single-Sixer
Rabbits tend to have worms in warm weather. I shot one years ago in Arizona during the summer. It had cysts under the skin containing small worms. I threw it out, but I suppose if you cooked it well enough that the worms would be killed and would just be added protein.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
andyo5...........the worms in warm weather is exactly what i've always heard.

~c.r.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
Ditto on the worms and warm temps.

Boy I sure miss a good time camping. Was in the boy scouts and loved it. I also miss eating rabbit. Good meat.

VonFatman

Blackhawk
FWIW...

I've hunted rabbits my entire life. The science does not back up the "season" to shoot/eat rabbits. It's a very rare disease that is no more prevalent in the summer than in the winter. One should always (regardless of the time of year) wear rubber gloves while cleaning any game. On rabbits, the first order of business should be an incision to inspect the liver. If white spots are on the rabbit's liver, seal up the carcass and bury it as white spots on the liver are the indication that the rabbit MAY have tularemia. Only a medical test will prove it being infected.

I've killed so many Cottontails I've no way to count...but in 42 years of hounds and hopper hunting I've only had ONE rabbit with white spots on it's liver.

Other parasites common to all types of rodents and other warm blooded mammals (including deer) do not make the meat bad or diseased. Just remove the worms, leach, ticks etc. and clean the rabbit as usual. Do you discard a deer because it has ticks? Ticks carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

The "don't eat warm season rabbits" comes from the theory that diseased rabbits will die with the first hard frost. In the old days, this was the "approved method" to eliminate the "bad" rabbits. Just remember to cook all game completely.

Kansas has year-round rabbit season and no one seems to be dieing as a result of rabbit tularemia. Just wear gloves and eat them if you like or wait until winter. It's a personal choice, but it's not scientific.

Bob