New Model Blackhawk Convertible

Help Support Ruger Forum:

thirdgen17

Bearcat
New to the forum with a question. I am thinking of picking up a New Model Blackhawk Convertible in .357 Mag. / 9mm Luger. I need to know what ya'll know about this model. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly! To start with what makes it "New"? And what is a good price new in the box?

scottaschultz

Bearcat
What makes it "new" is the transfer bar mechanism which allows you to safely carry the gun with a round in all six chambers. On the old "three screw" models, if you left the hammer down with a round in the cylinder and dropped the gun just right, it could accidentally fire the round which is why you will see people suggest that you load one, skip one then load four and keep the hammer down on the empty cylinder.

Unless you already have a 9mm pistol with a lot of spare ammo laying around, I would save some money and get the straight .357 version - which is what I did when faced with the same decision. You can still shoot 38 Special and .357 Magnums from the same cylinder with no issues.

A month or two ago, CDNN Sports had 50th Anniversary Blackhawks for about $359. I doubt however they have any left at that price! Even so, a new .357 only is selling for $403 at Buds. Heck of a deal!

Scott

Meeteetse

Bearcat
Personally I think the convertibles are a great deal and they are fun. I like the ability to shoot several different cartridges in the same gun. I have two 45/45 convertibles and one 357/9mm.

For me, one of the biggest benefits is the ability to shoot 45 acp and 9mm ammo, especially the ammo that my semi-autos don't like. This is important if you reload. Besides, my survivalist mentality lets me believe it gives me an edge :D :wink:

The one thing I have found is that both 9mm and 45 acp are not quite as accurate. The 9mm I understand because of firing a .355 bullet down a .357 barrel. The 45 I haven't figured out yet, but I suspect the chamber throats on my BH 45 are a little oversized.

I think the convertibles are well worth the extra few bucks. I don't think there are bad things, just good things. You will love your Blackhawk.

GhosT

Blackhawk
thirdgen17,

First off,scottaschultz explained the "NEW"model well..
But get, not a recent change....
OLD models..tend to be collectors...lol

Second,
Do not expect tack driving accuracy outta the 9mm and the .357 from the same gun...
There is a size difference in bullets...Meeteetse's post explains...

THAT SAID.....
The Blackhawk 9mm/.357 convertible ...
A gun I never owned, but wish I did.

Known many guys that own and love theirs....
It is a cool choice!

flhr62

Single-Sixer
Meeteetse, If you are shooting .45 acp jacketed bullets, I think they are .451 dia., wouldn't they be a little small also?

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
thirdgen17":3o3ycwxb said:
New to the forum with a question. I am thinking of picking up a New Model Blackhawk Convertible in .357 Mag. / 9mm Luger. I need to know what ya'll know about this model. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly! To start with what makes it "New"? And what is a good price new in the box?

I've never seen the value of a convertable in 357 since you already have 38 spls to shoot (unless you have a 9 mm and want to share ammo). I do like the idea of a 45 convertable though.

thirdgen17

Bearcat
Thanks for all the replys. I do have a couple of 9's and a lot of ammo. Also I was thinking about the 6 1/2 barrel length as my other revolvers are 4 inch. What are ya'll's thoughts on this?

It's my understanding that Ruger barrels are sized for the .451" bullets. The lead .452" bullets will obturate down to that size just fine.

Had my chamber throats reamed to .4525" and the forcing cone reamed to eleven degrees, and I'm a very happy camper.

YMMV
:D

contender

Ruger Guru
I love the convertables, and recommend them to everyone. As for the barrel length,,, if you like the 6-1/2" then "why not?"

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Get the convertible. You won't regret it. :wink:

P1010007.jpg

Old Griz

Bearcat
I got 2 for CAS so I could practice with the cheap 9mm Wolf ammo. As big and close as the handgun targets are the 9mm is great to practice with. I have both barrel lengths. They are tack drivers with the magnum loads. When shooting 9mm, both of them shoot jacketed bullets better than lead.

I love them. It is great being able to shoot three different calibers of ammo. I only wish they had Bisley grips. Oh well, can't have everything.

Meeteetse

Bearcat
mtivester":zplpc1ef said:
Meeteetse, If you are shooting .45 acp jacketed bullets, I think they are .451 dia., wouldn't they be a little small also?

Yes, I would think so, but I'm no expert on 45 bullets. My gun seems to shoot them OK, not great, but for what I use them for it is nice to have two cylinders to choose from.

nn

Single-Sixer
If you reload or can find lead 9mm ammo, you will not regret a convertable.

thirdgen17

Bearcat
Most of the 9's I would be shooting would be FMJ. Will this be a problem? Also will the convertible handle 9mm +p?

Merle1948

Buckeye
Meeteetse":1w13waqp said:
The one thing I have found is that both 9mm and 45 acp are not quite as accurate. The 9mm I understand because of firing a .355 bullet down a .357 barrel. The 45 I haven't figured out yet, but I suspect the chamber throats on my BH 45 are a little oversized.

I can't speak for the 9mm, but my belief is that the 45 ACP is a bit less accurate than the Long Colt because of bullet jump - there is a lot of difference between the overall length of the two rounds. The further the bullet travels unsupported before engaging the rifling, the more chance it has to get a wee bit sideways & distorted when it hits the forcing cone.

This is really evident in rifles, or single shot pistols. In the TC Contender, I have been able to cut my group sizes in half (at 100 yds) by merely seating the bullets shallower so that they are closer to the rifling. As long as you have sufficent case / bullet tension to ensure complete combustion of the powder, all will be well.

In my Old Model 45 Convertible I have had more problems with radically different points of impact. Makes it impossible to use the same sight setting, at least for precision work.

8) 8) 8)