RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:17 pm 
Buckeye

Lee's shop would be a dream place for me. I have never even owned a lathe but I know if I did I would spend all my time trying to learn to use it. I have friends that own lathes and one that is a gun nut. His specialty is 700 remington rifles. I have 2 that he did for me they are awesome shooters. He likes douglas premium barrels air gauged. One of them is a 30-06 in a #8contour the other is a 300 ultra mag with a #5 contour both are stainless barrels. The 30-06 was a 30-06 to begin with and the 300 ultra was a 7mm mag from the factory. Both guns from the factory were just average shooting rifles after the rebarreling they both are super shooters going from about 2" groups at 100 to small cloverleafs around 1/2" if I do my part. The 30-06 ended up right at 16# and the 300 ultra is 8#. It's amazing what a difference a hand fitted barrel and trued action face makes in a rifle's performance. I went into his shop one afternoon at 5:30 and had a barreled action in 1 hand and a barrel blank in the other and at 10:00 that night I left with a newly barreled action ready to be fit into the old stock. It was amazing to watch the whole process and he answered every question I asked him as he was doing the work. It was truly a great experience for me and I admire his work everytime I take the rifles out and use them. There is nothing that compares to a great shooting rifle in my book. And to say that I saw these rifles made into great shooters from just run of the mill shooters. Means a lot to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:16 am 
Hunter

Thanks for the compliments Tommy. And like your friend, many of my custom rifles get Douglas tubes.

Post subject: Re: 44 Special Project
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:09 pm 
Blackhawk

Thanks Lee, and what a beautiful shooter you created!!
cmacrph

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:30 pm 
Hunter

Great job! Id love to have an unfluted cylinder for my OM 357. You like the flutes better or just wanted it for thinparticular project?

Its been said and i agree. I wish i had the talent and machinery for this type of project. Id probably be on someone's watch list. Ha!
Again, great job!!

Ruger accumulator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:31 pm 
Hunter

Oh and before you start your next project on such a pristine revolver, trade it to me for my rubbed finish one. :)

Ruger accumulator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:23 pm 
Single-Sixer

Thank you, lee for posting this!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:10 pm 
Single-Sixer

Lee thanks for sharing your time and talent with us. I love tinkering on guns and hope you will do another in the future God Bless

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:48 pm 
Buckeye

"I was wondering what the relationship between the bolt stops and the ratchet cogs is. So if the cylinder is in your dividing head or 3 jaw chuck in the rotary table, what would be the offset of the cog from each bolt stop? Obviously the spacing on the cogs and stops is 60 degrees, but I was just curious as to how you get the two in proper orientation to each other."

If you are replacing a cylinder in an existing frame, the first question to ask is how well did the old cylinder work... was it flawless? If so, this would be your "standard" even over a set of blueprints.
Many times blueprints are a "starting point" and due to stacking and variations in production they can be off some. Unless you make changes to the frame, window, hand, etc. You would want to duplicate the dimensions and offset relation between the cogs and the stops from the old cylinder.
If you don't know how to measure and existing piece to be duplicated... you're lost before you even start!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:46 am 
Hunter

Denny wrote:
Lee thanks for sharing your time and talent with us. I love tinkering on guns and hope you will do another in the future God Bless

Thanks. And I am currently doing another build thread on my forum:

http://singleactions.proboards.com/inde ... hread=8069

I'm cloning Ross Seyfried's famous "Buffalo gun" Seville.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:45 pm 
Single-Sixer

Could you have cut the flutes with a Ball End Mill instead of the Horizontal Mill and Shaped Cutter that you used?

.....RVM45 8) :shock: 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:47 am 
Hunter

You could but they wouldn't look right. The rear portion of the flute would be much more rounded.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:46 pm 
Hawkeye

Yes, they'd look like 1st generation 1/2" radius Colt flutes.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

Last edited by Hondo44 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:07 pm 
Bearcat

Cool thread Lee. I enjoyed every page of it.

LAH wrote:
All I will say though, is that this is why crafts die off. Craftsman no longer take apprentices and they are unwilling to share the knowledge they have, thus keeping the craft from growing or surviving a lot of times. I personally believe that this is why a lot of crafts that used to employ people are now turned into just hobbies.
Possibly a sign of the times.
I have seen where training apprentices usually ends one employment. The bean counters usually pick off the experienced men in favor of saving money. Too often, subpar work is sold and a percentage is expected to return under warranty.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:57 pm 
Single-Sixer

Lee Martin wrote:
You could but they wouldn't look right. The rear portion of the flute would be much more rounded.

It's pretty much impossible on a manual mill, but on a CNC you can program the ball mill to cut a 3"-4" radius in the XZ or YZ plane (depending on which way your cylinder is oriented on the table) and get good looking flutes with tapered ends.

Awesome thread, Lee, thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:18 pm 
Bearcat

I love threads like these. Now I'm hoping someone goes nuts on something tiny like take a Bearcat and chamber it in .17 Hornet or something crazy like that. I can't figure why it took me so long to join up here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next