RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:40 am 
Bearcat

Cordite wrote:
Updated... thanks for the input!

----------
The lowest serial number of SP101 in .327 with a cylinder problem is:
563-903xx

The highest serial number of SP101 in .327 with a cylinder problem is:
573-791xx
----------

Note: 574-06xxx is reported as having no problems from the factory. May 2009 production according to Ruger. Maybe the issue is fixed now?

Anyone else with cylinder issues like to share their serial number?

We need to take the highest number to 573-865xx left Ruger 9/30/2008

I returned it for repair in early summer and had it back in about 6 weeks-the cylinder was replaced and several repairs and/or adjustments were listed also. This was NIB from the dealer. I am very happy with the customer service and they did a fine job in taking care of me. However, I must state that there was no reason for that 101 to have left the factory with the finish that was on it or to be returned with even worse file marks and lack of the quilty finish I had always thought Ruger to have.

Ronnie J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:22 pm 
Single-Sixer

Updated... thanks, Ronnie J!

----------
563-903xx

573-865xx
----------

Note: 574-06xxx is reported as having no problems from the factory. May 2009 production according to Ruger. Maybe the 574 prefix denotes the start of production with the revised cylinders. I'd like to hear from anyone with a 574 series .327 revolver that was returned for a cylinder problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:43 pm 
Buckeye

I'm in the zone and have not had a problem, 573-631xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm 
Single-Sixer

Updated... thanks, nn!

----------
563-903xx

573-865xx
----------

Note - The following serial numbers are reported as having no issues from the factory:
573-631xx
574-06xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:53 am 
Buckeye

Geez - what a nightmare.... Several possible causes relates to metallurgy, tooling, processes and/or machinery.

I've been working in machine shops since 1977, after my 1st year of tech school. Started sweeping floors and cutting stock, had my own shop (still part time, thanks to this f!@@$$!!! ECONOMY..) so I've seen a lot of issues.

My guess is that Ruger is going through the process pains that others described earlier. When you spend beaucoup $$$$ on CNC equipment, rigging, installation, and the tooling(costs a freakin' fortune!)the bean counters justify the payoff over a certain period of time. The Return On Investment is based on the manufacturer of the machine's 'claimed' cycle and operational speed. And we ALL know that salesmen NEVER stretch the truth.... right?

Then we can get into management trying to save $$$ by importing alloy steels from overseas that are definitely NOT as consistent or pure as that put out by reputable American makers. Hard and/or soft spots in the material can be a nightmare as far as consistent accuracy goes. Varying results from heat treatment processes due to poor quality material are a very real possibility here.

I see it all the time - a programmer writes a program based on the manufacturer's recommendations, for both the machine and tooling. THe progress in both areas over the last 10-15 yrs has been phenominal, but the basic rules of machining still apply! College educated bean counters, not to mention engineers, and 'freshly minted managers' have no clue why things aren't working right, but they want it fixed, and fixed NOW!

And the lack of honesty in admitting a problem has as much to do with the general lack of morals these days as the overabundance of lawyers, of which Ruger seems to have more than their share.... :( That's the part that bothers me more than anything. This whole problem should have been fixed in-house well before the guns were ever available for sale!

The bottom line is that when production numbers don't meet projections, managers scream. Programmers then try to push the envelope harder and faster, resulting in more scrapped parts, and a big problem for QC departments. Not to mention the poor schmuck running the machine who actually is trying to make the processes work! :evil:

Compound these issues with all the Lean Manufacturing, 5S, Six Sigma, ISO, QS, AS, etc. constraints, it's almost a freakin' miracle that anything gets out at all, sometimes! Thanks ALOT Toyota!

Ruger and their subcontractor's are going to have to learn that you can only push a manufacturing preocess so fast. Take the manufacturer's recommendations, knock off 30-40%, and start there.

It's just like working up a new load for your favorite gun. You don't start at maximum, you work up to it, find out what's safe and accurate, then go from there.

Obviously, most college educated bean counters and management trainees aren't reloaders..... :shock:

Hopefully Ruger's upper management will start reading some of these forums, and come to the realization that honesty is the best policy, and admit the snafu they're trying to ignore. Everybody makes mistakes, just got to be a man about it, if you want your company to survive. Especially these days.
It takes money to make money, and some corners can't be cut. Those have to be learned thru experience.

And Ruger's learning that the hard way..... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:34 pm 
Bearcat

I finally got my 327 back from Ruger. Cylinder and barrel were replaced. Works well and casings no longer stick. Trouble is I can't find anything beside S&W Long. I don't reload, but even if I did, I see most 32 H&R materials on backorder.

Does anyone know of a good place to find the 32 H&R Magnum round? This seems to be the best fit for my wife to use. If I continue to have a firearm with ammo so hard to find, I may have to sell in favor of a .357.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this same difficulty. It's a damn shame as the SP in 327 is so versatile.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:35 pm 
Single-Sixer

The problems with the .327 seem to have stopped but I suspect that it is because ammo is so hard to find. Midway states they will receive some Federal ammo this month... everyone else states January is when they will receive some .327. In fact, this seems to apply to all .32 cal rimmed ammo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:41 pm 
Hunter

Cordite wrote:
Geechie,

Looks like it will be several more months before Federal runs another batch of 32 H&R Magnum. Both versions (lead SWC and JHP) seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Hornady and Sierra make .312 cal JHP and .314 cal LSWC bullets so reloading looks like the best way to keep 32 H&R Mag in stock, at least for now. Hodgdon has a bunch of reloading data for it. Not sure who has the 32 H&R Mag brass...

Starline has brass. I ordered 1,000 pieces directly from their site, and it came quickly. Although they may be out of stock now. I also hit the mail/internet order sites at the right time and got jacketed and cast bullets fit for 32 H&R mag. I'm set. Hope you guys can find supplies too.

I ordered from Graf's for the 32 mag stuff... jacketed bullets, dies, etc. I got my cast bullets from Missouri Bullet IIRC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:24 am 
Blackhawk

jaypee wrote:
RonS said it all. New manufacturing rules, no inventory, How long does it take to check with a go/no go gauge or gauge pin ?

This right here says it all about quality control. You can do this before the next one is done!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:20 am 
Single-Sixer

The .327 round has generated a lot of opinions both good and bad. The interesting part for me is the people with bad opinions on the .327 usually have not fired one. As a CC caliber you can do a lot worse. The .327 round hits hard. You can also shoot other .32 caliber rounds in a .327 for practice.

More guns are being produced in .327... Ruger, among others, is a believer. It takes a large investment to produce a gun a new caliber and this is not something done lightly by any firearm manufacturer.

The main problem with the .327 for me is the lack of ammo availability. Only ATK loads it so we have to wait on the ATK production schedule. I believe that ATK holds the patent on the .327 round so they will be the only ones loading it for a while. ATK will respond to market demand so I do not see this to be a long term issue.

A lot of noise was made about why do we need something in a CC round for revolvers other than .38 / .357. The answer is simple: choice. The .327 round performs differently than a .38 cal round and some shooters may like it better.

I like choice... After all if Henry Ford has his way we all would be driving black cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:26 am 
Single-Sixer

So what is the latest conclusion? Has Ruger solved the problem(s) and now producing well functioning guns without the earlier problems? Has anyone purchased a .327 Federal SP101 lately that has not has the extraction problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:10 am 
Ruger Guru

Yes...problem solved. Ruger's been shipping them again for quite some time now.
Chet15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:37 pm 
Single-Sixer

Thanks, Chad. I assume the other .327 Federal makers have fixed their issue too. Did not know S&W model already a collectible--at least @ rec ent prices. Did they just not make as many? Or stop producing them?Or just in high demand? R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:50 am 
Bearcat

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:22 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated... thanks, Ronnie J!

----------
563-903xx

573-865xx
----------

Note: 574-06xxx is reported as having no problems from the factory. May 2009 production according to Ruger. Maybe the 574 prefix denotes the start of production with the revised cylinders. I'd like to hear from anyone with a 574 series .327 revolver that was returned for a cylinder problem.

Surprise! I have a 574-19xxx and the shells stick on extractiion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:29 pm 
Bearcat

Hello,

I purchased an SP-101 in .327 Federal at the end of 2008, the first one I saw. Having only had experience with S & W revolvers, and being a reloader, I admit I was concerned about how my brass would come out after firing. Being unable to come across .327 brass, I have not fired it much.

After Brian Pearce's latest article in "Handloader" magazine stating that .32 H & R magnum brass is as strong as .327 Federal brass, I have renewed my quest to load cast bullets in .32 H & R magnum cases for this revolver.

After reading most of this post, I checked my fired .327 Federal cases (all 13 of them), and they all appear to be fine, no bulges at the case head, or inappropriate smoking (indicating powder blow-by, I guess).

In my efforts to load cast bullets for this revolver, I have not noticed sticky extraction, or anything else to cause me concern, so I guess I got a good specimen.

The one thing I have noticed is that sometimes a fired case will be bypassed by the extractor star and get stuck under the star and be difficult to remove for that reason.

I have always been fascinated by .32 caliber revolvers (especially small ones) so the SP-101 was of great interest to me, since S & W's are cost prohibitive in the extreme.

Sorry you guys are having trouble, and I am looking forward to working with this revolver as well as being on this forum after lurking for a while.

exile

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next