1956 Blackhawk Price-NEW Pics Added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

K1500

Single-Sixer
I'm looking at a 1956 flattop .357 4 5/8" that is unconverted. It looks to be in very good shape except the rear sight blade is damaged and needs to be replaced. Only minor handling and light holster wear. The bluing and anodizing looks good, but there is some holster wear at the usual places. No box, just the gun. Any ideas of what a fair market value of the gun would be? Thanks in advance for your help.

hittman

Staff member
To me the 4 5/8" is most desirable.

Is it in the "Ross gun" range of time or serial number? I don't know a lot about single actions but understand that can make a big difference on prices.

Most recent RENE puts them from $740 to $1625 depending on which variation it is ….. barrel grooves, grip frame, Ross, etc.

The Ross variations run from 14684 thru 15483.

30XX is a Type 1 from early 1956.

Should have a six-groove 4-5/8" barrel and an XR3 grip frame with the original "black plastic" grip panels, although it might have been retrofitted with the later walnut panels.

RENE puts it at $1150 in pristine condition w/o a box. I bought an "experienced" one for $600 several years ago and considered myself fortunate.

RENE would add $465 for a mint, proper box . . . which I don't have. There's a pretty nice one for sale in the Classifieds right now for $330.

It's a very early gun that a real serious collector might pass over due to "condition" but worthy of consideration to most of us. Ya just don't see 'em very often. JMHO

:mrgreen:

hittman

Staff member
Ale-8(1) said:
It's a very early gun …… worthy of consideration to most of us.

Myself included! Heck YES, a low 4 digit serial gun is always desirable to me. The only one I own is in the 155xx s/n range ….. just after the Ross guns. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the price is in the ballpark.

Good luck to you.

K1500

Single-Sixer
Does $900 sound high?

This gun would be purchased to be a shooter.

This is where rugerguy would say "Depends on your pucker factor." How bad do you want it? Can you afford it? Can you make a lower counter offer without blowing the deal? All part of the game. JMHO :wink:

hittman

Staff member
Hmmm ….. pristine = $1150

But broken rear site and holster wear ….. asking $900. Probably not out of line in todays world but I haven't seen it in person to judge how much holster wear, etc.

$900 seems like a lot but ….. go find another one!

At $750 it'd probably spark my interest a bunch though.

Another view . . .

https://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/specSheets/0306.html

. . . the latest New Model of that gun. Short barrel, black grips, transfer bar action, MSRP $810 and you can almost surely get one cheaper.

So . . . for essentially the same money you could have either one. Do you want a shiney new one or a 65-year-old ORIGINAL Old Model Ruger .357 Blackhawk with "character"?

Decisions, decisions . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

K1500

Single-Sixer
I know it. I tried to find a new model flattop convertible. They are basically impossible to find. I don't really want the larger frame size of the regular new model. I have an old model and a new model flattop. This one would be for my daughter, so the smaller grip frame is probably a plus. She didn't really like the one new model we could lay our hands on, and she likes my old model better than my new flattop. The thing is, they aren't making any more 1956 guns anymore….

I have until Monday to decide, and am waiting on pictures to be sent.

hittman

Staff member
K1500 said:
I tried to find a new model flattop convertible. They are basically impossible to find.

they aren't making any more 1956 guns anymore….

1. Maybe put a Want To Buy ad in the Classifieds here.

2. You're correct, I'd always take an OM over NM; its not even close.

In your other thread http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=296602 you reveal that your consideration is between a this nice Old Model and a New Model, with the difference between the two being $80 on a deal that will be in the $900 range either way. Heck, flip a coin. :lol:

K1500

Single-Sixer
Update…the pics came in. It is a bit rougher than I thought. Any ideas on solid price? They are asking $900.

It looks to me like the gun got wet and has some rust, as well as some chipping and light pitting. Not sure if this is a walk away kind of a deal or what a fair counter offer would be. $900 seems too high to me but I've been out of the market for a long time, so everything seems high.

contender

Ruger Guru
For a gun that's roughly 65 yrs old,, it's not too bad in general. From the pics,,, it appears to have all the period correct small parts that are often swapped around or replaced. Even most of the screws appear to be in pretty good shape,, with just the ERH screw showing a bit of buggering. Yes,, there are some marks on it,, but not huge issues. Plus,, it's still a very early Ruger,, that was most likely well assembled & cared for from Ruger as it was being built. The gun also shows a bit of light "plum" coloring which many find desirable.
A minty Type I is valued at $1150 by the RENE Guide.
I'd likely try & negotiate a lower price, pointing out the minor flaws,, (missing rear blade, the spots on the mainframe & barrel,,,) and see what the bottom dollar would be, shipped & insured. (Of course,, my dealer only charges me $25 for transfers,, and shipping is by USPS,, so it's not too bad either.)

Agree with contender! A few little "age marks" and the rear sight don't bother me, and I cannot see any serious rust in the pics. If I didn't have mine -- which isn't as nice as this one -- I'd be real interested. Of course I'd not be comparing it to a New Model for pricing so that makes some difference in how I'd approach it. JMHO :)

K1500

Single-Sixer
Thanks for everyone's help! I've got the revolver on the way for $800. I need to order a rear sight blade. Ruger will not send one out unless it has been converted. I do have a new model flattop with the same barrel length and I could call them back and order a rear sight blade for it.

On the thread in the gunsmithing it was stated that they are all the same except for the little nub that is on the new blade that needs to be filed down. I want to order the sight so I can get the gun up and running ASAP.

chet15

Hawkeye
K1500 said:
Thanks for everyone's help! I've got the revolver on the way for $800. I need to order a rear sight blade. Ruger will not send one out unless it has been converted. I do have a new model flattop with the same barrel length and I could call them back and order a rear sight blade for it.

On the thread in the gunsmithing it was stated that they are all the same except for the little nub that is on the new blade that needs to be filed down. I want to order the sight so I can get the gun up and running ASAP.

Ruger's current day sight blades have an outline around the square... early flattops were just a flat piece of metal.
Chet15

K1500

Single-Sixer
Thanks, I didn't realize. My Lipseys flattop has no outline. I wonder if they have any of those blades left. I suppose a call may sort it out. Brownells also has blades for $11 shipped.

I think you've scored a great old gun and a little work on the rear sight should bring it up to proper configuration. Tell us a little more about the rust you mention. If it's just fine surface "dust rust" it can likely be slicked up. Your best source of info there is probably rugerguy. Dan's been administering to these old guns for a loooong time and is good to work with. :mrgreen: