Two part question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azleite

Single-Sixer
Hi Folk's, I have a couple questions. 1: What cleaner works best for getting lead out of the barrel & cylinder of my revolvers without damage to the gun? 2-Are there any products for polishing up the blue to make them look good without taking off the finish? Thanks for any advice-Dave

contender

Ruger Guru
Renaissance wax is great to make a blued gun look shiny.

Lead removal,, depends upon the amount. Many good solvents will handle minor leading. Otherwise,, the Lewis Lead remover is excellent. Nothing is "magic & easy",, it takes actual cleaning work sometimes.

I have reduced the leading in most of my cast bullet shooting by using powder coated bullets. Just an idea. Easier to clean up afterwards.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Thanks Folk's for the help. I've used Hoppe's #9 for years. I have pretty much switched over to the coated bullets. I recently retired & have sorted through my supplies and been using up my lead stash. Leading is not bad, just kind of a pain at the forcing cone.

Rclark

Hunter
I use Copper Chore Boy (pure COPPER strands). wrap strands around an old bore brush and push through the barrel. Works well. I use this method now rather than use my Lewis lead remover -- when needed which isn't often. I use Hoppes 90 to clean and occasionally a brush if I see some 'excessive' built-up. See no reason to move to something else. If the normal brush does not get it out, I push the Chore Boy brush through which will remove it. Keep in mind, one doesn't need to completely 'clean' the bore down to bare metal like coming out of the factory. Leave it seasoned, and it will still shoot well.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I use what RClark mentioned. A little copper Chore Boy works like magic, and yes, I tried the Lewis lead removal but it didn't work as easily as the copper and also a lot more expensive.

jgt

Buckeye
I have owned Lewis Lead Removers since I started casting many years ago. They work when all else fails. The first time through with a new screen is tuff. I have switched to using the Lewis Lead Remover as a last resort. I now use copper Chore Boy wrapped around an old brush as my first choice. Be sure it is sure enough copper and not copper plated steel. The label should identify it. They also make a Chore Boy pad from bronze if I am not mistaken. I don't know about them, I have not bothered with anything but the real copper. If the gun is stainless, you have some other options, but they would remove the blue from non-stainless guns.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I am also a fan and user of the Copper Chore Boy, I also have Bronze Wool. When the lead does not wipe out easily I will saturate the bore with Kroil and let it soak. I wish that I would have known about this method and done this 50 years ago.

K1500

Single-Sixer
Kroil soak. If that doesn't work, Kroil soak with the all copper chore boy method. The Kroil gets under the lead and it usually comes out in big strips. It has rescued a couple of .22's that got shot with a poorly lubed batch of ammo.

NikA

Buckeye
I bought both a large pack of copper scrubbing pads and a can of Kroil from Amazon. I was able to find Kroger-branded pure copper scrubbers at one point, but that was probably 8 years ago now.

They're both consumables and cheaper to buy in quantity online.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I've been using Kroil for years. Works well, but you have to give it some time to soak in. I've pulled brushes out of Kroil-soaked barrels just wrapped up with lead strips. Helps to have a good supply of cleaning brushes, and time at hand to put some elbow grease into the job.
Actually, you can find a sweet spot when reloading lead bullets where leading goes way down without sacrificing accuracy. Takes some doing.

Latest posts