NEW MODEL BLACKHAWK

Help Support Ruger Forum:

J. R. WEEMS

Single-Sixer
Are the 'NEW MODEL BLACKHAWK' frames bigger than the Blackhawk Frames?? Sorry I am not up on this but I am trying to find a cross draw holster for such a gun, 4 3/4".. Factory stocks are a bit small for the frame as well. None of my holsters fit this gun and am just nor sure what size is needed?? THANKS for the help. :)

Rclark

Hunter
First, there two relevant NM BH cylinder frames that you will run into. The medium frame is found on the flattops (.357, .44 Special, and .45 Colt) . The exception 'flattop' is the .44 Magnum 50th Anniversary which is on the large frame. All other NM BHs and SBHs are on the large frame since the New Model was introduced in 1973. Easy to tell as the New Model large frame will have 'ears' around the rear sight (not a flattop). Doesn't matter the grip frame type... just the cylinder frame. Hope the 'summary' helps you decide what you have!

Also as a quick how-it-is. The Old Model (also know as the 3 screw model) BHs started production in 1955, ended in 1973. Note that the OM .357 BH was on the medium frame. All others were on the large frame. The New Model (two pins though side the frame, and a transfer bar) from 1973 to present. The .357 went to large frame in 1973 to join the others. The NM flattops came much later starting with the .357 50th Anniversary flattop in 2005. The .44 Magnum 50th Anniversary flattop in 2006. Then the .44 Specials, and finally the .45 Colt/.45 ACP (wahoo!) medium frame flattops.

Then there is the side case of the .357 Maximum on a stretched Large BH frame.... There is always the 'odd ball' :) .

Just a 'summary' history. More to the story of course :) .

You didn't say what cartridge your gun shoots ....

J. R. WEEMS

Single-Sixer
Well, the gun in question is one of 10mm/40S&W caliber. A special edition from Lipeskys. Doesnt fit any regular Blackhawk holsters I have. ???? THANKS!!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
J. R. WEEMS said:
Well, the gun in question is one of 10mm/40S&W caliber. A special edition from Lipeskys. Doesn't fit any regular Blackhawk holsters I have. ???? THANKS!!

It's a standard NM large frame. Don't know what holsters are for, but compare dimensions of the Blackhawks that you have that fit the holsters, with your 10mm/40S&W; they're the same.

Maybe the holsters you have for Blackhawks (if they're for the large frame), are for the Old Model 44 Mag large FLAT TOP frame: same size frame but the OM 44 Mag didn't have sight ribs, so holsters for it would be tight for a NM BH with the sight ribs.

Rclark

Hunter
Looked it up. As said above, it is just a standard large frame NM Blackhawk.

LIPSEY'S MODEL: RUKBN-104X | 4-5/8″ Barrel | 10mm/40S&W | 6 Shot
LIPSEY'S MODEL: RUKBN-106X | 6-1/2″ Barrel | 10mm/40S&W | 6 Shot

Hondo44

Hawkeye
J. R. WEEMS wrote:
Well, the gun in question is one of 10mm/40S&W caliber. A special edition from Lipeskys. Doesn't fit any regular Blackhawk holsters I have. ???? THANKS!!

Rclark said:
Looked it up. As said above, it is just a standard large frame NM Blackhawk.

LIPSEY'S MODEL: RUKBN-104X | 4-5/8″ Barrel | 10mm/40S&W | 6 Shot
LIPSEY'S MODEL: RUKBN-106X | 6-1/2″ Barrel | 10mm/40S&W | 6 Shot

J.R. WEEMS: You haven't told us how your gun "does not fit", to loose or too tight?

You have a NM Blackhawk 10mm/.40, You need to find/borrow any other NM Blackhawk (non-Flat Top) which can only be the same size to try in your holsters; they'll either both fit or neither will fit the holsters, period! There's no mystery here.

What brand and quality holsters do you have?
Have you even tried another Blackhawk in them?

Holsters can be notoriously tight when new because they get looser with use, never tighter. They should be wet-formed so they fit better right off the bat; not after all the blue is worn off of your gun.