When did Ruger change from

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rmc25

Single-Sixer
red to yellow cylinder donuts? I came across an old red one that I believe came with the first blued Security Six I bought. I was in northern PA at the time and doing a lot of work outside so I traded it off for a stainless steel version.

chet15

Hawkeye
rmc25 said:
red to yellow cylinder donuts? I came across an old red one that I believe came with the first blued Security Six I bought. I was in northern PA at the time and doing a lot of work outside so I traded it off for a stainless steel version.

there are white ones also.
Probably didn't have anything to do with a switchover between colors... probably had more to do with whatever color the vendor had in their machine on that day.
Chet15

....and the holes in the center were of different sizes, even in the same colored discs. I'd venture different models used, the different colors. they dropped models over the years too...... Maybe an aid to the folks actually doing the packing up and shipping???? 8) :roll:

If only they could talk..."and so it goes..." RIP Wil Terry :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I never really tried to determine why the different colors, but in my casual observation single actions came with yellow discs. DA with red.

And I believe Dan makes a good point that it likely had a lot to do with color coding to limit the choices the packers had to make to grab the right disc for the right style revolver being packed.

Sugar River

Buckeye
Hondo44 said:
I never really tried to determine why the different colors, but in my casual observation single actions came with yellow discs. DA with red.

And I believe Dan makes a good point that it likely had a lot to do with color coding to limit the choices the packers had to make to grab the right disc for the right style revolver being packed.

Actually the discs were (and probably still are) inserted as soon as the revolver reaches the point in the assembly process where it is capable of firing. Handling a gun without a disc beyond that point was grounds for dismissal. This was the case in the 6 or 7 times I was in the Newport plant.

My observations:

I have a 2 digit Security Six and it came with a white disk. I have no doubt that it is original because I got the gun with original box, shipper and all of the original paperwork including the original receipt from the gun shop to the buyer.

Later examples of the DA's I have purchased had either a white or yellow disk.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Maybe it has to do with the day of the week it was made on...like the plastic tabs or wire-wraps on all loaves of bread. :wink: :lol: