Another “want” from Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
I'd maybe be the only one interested but ….. be nice to have a GP100 with 3 or 4 inch barrel in 30 Carbine. Maybe 7 or 8 shot??

Does somebody make a double action 30 Carbine and I don't know of it?

Would anybody else like to shoot a double action 30 Carbine along with their M1 Carbine?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The muzzle report from a .30 Carbine is just flat awful in a 6" barrel, and in a 4"?? There's many more cartridges that are a lot more fun to shoot!

There's no .30 C double actions that I know. You'd have to make one, but with its 40,0000 CUP, I'd only use a large frame like a S&W N frame and a sleeved cyl or custom cyl. You can re-thread and use a .30 C Ruger Blachawk barrel for little cost.

But I'd consider the potential of the .327 Fed Mag cartridge (45,000 CUP) with many guns made for it. And strong enough for the .30 C if so inclined to convert one.

k22fan

Blackhawk
S&W did make one prototype .30 Carbine N frame during WW II. If I recall correctly it was to sell to the Chinese.

I can not write that I ever lusted after a .30 Carbine DA. Admittedly my lack of enthusiasm for .30 Carbines influences my view. I want more accurate rifles. It would give up affordable carbide resizers which would be enough reason for me to chose a .327 Federal instead. However, the muzzle blast could be reduced by reloading. The smaller diameter .30 Carbine bullet would allow bullet casters who do not have .32 molds to use their light .30 rifle molds. I suspect .30 Carbine would be safe in a 7 shot GP-100.

hittman

Staff member
You'll see your 308 before I get my double action 30 Carbine!

woodsy

Blackhawk
Nope. As Hondo44 said, the noise would be deafening.
Also why the .22 Mag. will never arrive here, because it was originally designed for rifles.
How about a .45-70, eh???

RSIno1

Hunter
woodsy said:
How about a .45-70, eh???

Might work in a S&W Governor - https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/governor

It will take 2 1/2" 410 shells and the max length of 45-70 is only .050" (abt 3/64") longer (but there is room for the shot shell to open so it should be ok). You'd need to ream it to take the .025 larger at the base 45-70. The neck sizes are the same.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Nope. As Hondo and Woodsy said, muzzle blast would be hideous. And .30 USC ammo is neither plentiful or cheap anymore (it never really has been in my shooting lifetime--those days were back in the '60s for the most part).

I can't think of anything a .30USC 4" DA revolver could do that couldn't be done better by a .357.

I'm not a fan of 30 Carbine either. I had the Blackhawk, but had it converted to 45 Colt. I am however, a big fan of 327 Magnum.

I always felt like the 30 Carbine wasn't especially accurate and in my opinion, sort of an ugly little round. Maybe it's the tapered case, but definitely not pretty.

NikA

Buckeye
If I were to buy a handgun for the rimless .30 carbine case, I'd want it to be a self-loader like the rifle.

If I wanted a handgun and rifle with .30 carbine ballistics that used the same cartridge, they'd be chambered in .327 Federal and be lever action and a revolver.

I have always seen the .327 Federal as the rimmed version of the .30 Carbine. It's a 45,000 PSI round comparable to the carbine round, so potentially comparable in performance and there are revolvers available for it. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/910242980

JMHO :mrgreen:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I see that this .327 has a very loyal following. I've not shot one. Sounds like a hot, little number with low recoil. Especially out of a stout Blackhawk.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
daveg.inkc said:
I see that this .327 has a very loyal following. I've not shot one. Sounds like a hot, little number with low recoil. Especially out of a stout Blackhawk.

True this. ^^ I have the stainless SBH 8 shooter in this caliber as well as a custom built stainless K frame S&W (based on a Model 66 donor) and both are ground shaking, fire breathing monsters. Surprisingly, the recoil is about the same as a 28 Spl +P. I have to say that the idea of a 30 Carbine handgun of any sort has virtually no attraction for me at all. YMMV.

Froggie

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
When 327 became available in a wide variety of guns I predicted the death and demise of 32 mag. and 30 carbine.
Well my crystal ball sucks .
Both slowed down for a while but both bounced back bigger than ever .
Seems the 32mag is much loved now cuz it does 90% of what a 327 does with 200% less drama.
And the 30 carb. is fun cuz its just a huge , big ole Blackhawk that can be found unloved .True , with carbine ammo no fun. Still not a gun for a casual bystander but with proper handloading a very tractable alternative small bore .

GarrettJ

Bearcat
I've got Blackhawks in both .30 Carbine and .327 Fed.

Both have a bit of muzzle blast, but it really doesn't seem like any more than what you get with a .357 Mag. To that point, I wouldn't really want to shoot any of them without some decent ear protection.

My .30 Carbine seems to shoot a little more accurately than the .327, but it's a close thing. I can hit the plates at 100 yards a little more often with the .30C than with the .327. But both do pretty well.

The .30C seems pretty picky about case length, where the rimmed .327 doesn't care.

Having an 8-shot cylinder on the .327 is nifty, but a revolver just seems "right" with 6.

PiNLIZVh.jpg

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Taurus put out the "Raging Thirty":
30css10-jpg.79482

10" barrel. Photo snagged from 'net.

I didn't do any research on it to know the specs, but I just happened to remember they made one.

Aqualung

Crytot

Single-Sixer
{quote="Snake45"]I can't think of anything a .30USC 4" DA revolver could do that couldn't be done better by a .357.[/quote]

Except shoot in his .30 carbine like he originally posted.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
I recently reacquired a Buckeye Special Combo with the 32 H&R and 32-20 cylinders, planning to have the former reamed just a bit deeper to give me the six shot 327 Fed Mag of my dreams. However, since I already had the stainless 8 shot BH, I'm now torn between utility and collectibility. I'm leaning toward the latter, but the jury, while not "still out" is at least still in the building. Oddly enough, I probably shoot as many 32 S&W Long cases in both of them as anything else. :roll:

Froggie