An issue with my Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PinnedAndRecessed

Single-Sixer
I bought a used 44 mag Redhawk. It's the 4th I've owned.

The issue is that with reloads, the cylinder binds up in rotation after it heats up. It doesn't do it with factory ammo. Just reloads.

I initially used pre fired brass and after I discovered the issue, was careful to make sure I seated the primers especially carefully. It didn't help.

So then I used only new, unfired brass. It still binds.

I have a 3 screw Super Blackhawk and never had that problem.

I have two S&W 29-2 revolvers and never had that problem.

I haven't miked it yet, but maybe the gap between the cylinder and breech face is less than it should be?

Suggestions?

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Does the new sized but empty brass bind BEFORE you seat a bullet or only after you seat a bullet ?
Could be a bullet Dia. or crimp not letting the cartridge not seat completely in.

PinnedAndRecessed

Single-Sixer
I loaded it with reloads and the loaded rounds fell easily into the chambers. Pulled the hammer back slightly and the cylinder spins easily. But after a few rounds fired, it will lock up.

I then unload it, and narrow it down to a half dozen rounds that won't allow the cylinder to rotate. Those rounds are fine in my other 44s.

Curious.

To NikA. These are mild loads. 44 special level.

LAH

Buckeye
Something is dragging. Perhaps color the case heads with a marker & see.

Cholo

Staff member
When I've had this happen I've found that the primers have backed out .001/.002. That's all it takes. It never happened with hot loads.

PinnedAndRecessed

Single-Sixer
Cholo said:
When I've had this happen I've found that the primers have backed out .001/.002. That's all it takes. It never happened with hot loads.

Yeah, I figure that's what's going on. I also figure there must be some high spots on the breech face. That's a job for a smith.

Recoil from hot loads reseats the primers to their proper depth.

jgt

Blackhawk
If it did it with new cases, I would have a look at the primers also. It could be another brand primer would not back out on softer loads. I have used Winchester large pistol primers for 44 special loads and never had that problem and I have loaded some brass that has been loaded many, many times.

hpman66

Hunter
Could it be the barrel/cylinder gap is too close? When fired a few rounds, they expand, bind and keep the cylinder from rotating.

hpman66 said:
Could it be the barrel/cylinder gap is too close? When fired a few rounds, they expand, bind and keep the cylinder from rotating.

Probably not because he said it shoots fine with factory ammo. I'm also guessing that the primers are backing out a little. It seems that "soft" loads seem to do this more often than "hotter" loads - as someone above said, the hotter loads reseat the primers during recoil where softer loads don't.

If you had the equipment, you could measure the diameter of the primer pocket and the diameter of the primers you are using to see what the difference is. I would guess that if the diameters were equal or the primer pocket just a few ten thousandths smaller then a good possibility the primers are backing out. That begs the question - when seating the primers how easily do they go in? Real easy - could be the problem.

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
I had this problem when I first started reloading, and forgot to crimp. First couple of shots were fine, but by the 3rd or 4th the remaining rounds had the bullet pushed forward enough by the recoil to bind the cylinder.

Latest posts