Question re Blackhawk barrels

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LPRoad

Bearcat
I own an old model 357/9mm Blackhawk with 4 5/8 barrel. I want to install a longer barrel. My gunsmith has suggested a take off barrel would be significantly cheaper than having him turn down and fit a new blank.

I occasionally see new model 6.5" barrels for sale. I wondered if the threads are the same on the old and new models. I think I heard that the ejector rod attachment is different on the new models which would necessitate the replacement of the ejector rod housing as well?

the smaller framed 357 models the barrels are the same threads and hole location, just the roll marked address ( old models versus NEW) or a "warning...." may be a bit unslightly,,,any question s should be to the 'seller' as to a picture or two and compare that to what is on YOUR gun...I looked around but only have a shorter one here on the bench.....good luck 8) :roll: :wink:

Wouldn't it be about the same price to just buy another gun? Plus, depending upon condition, isn't an old model 357/9mm with a 4 5/8th barrel fairly rare and desirable (i.e. valuable)?

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Sell it and get a longer barrel model. Get it lettered too, from Ruger. I bought a.357, 4 5/8" from my LGS. $400. Sent off for a variety pack of letters from Ruger. This game back a brass frame!! Approximately $2k per RENE! I realise you can swap it back. But, check it out first.

I'd say that finding, buying, and installing a different take-off barrel will go a long way to just buying a factory made version of what you're wanting. Pretty sure I have 2x 6.5 BH. If you were close, I'd swap you even up (6 1/2 for 4 5/8). Been wanting a BH 4 5/8 to match my SBH 4 5/8.

LPRoad

Bearcat
I have certainly given thought to trying just to get a similar gun and leave this one alone. Truth is just buying a 6.5" 3 screw gun is financially out of reach. I like the fact that this is a 2 cylinder gun, and I haven't seen a lot of 6.5" guns in that configuration. I did have it lettered back when I bought it years ago, but I let my brother borrow it for several years and he managed to lose the letter. I live so far from ANYWHERE that shipping a gun is an onerous task and our liberal governor has made private sales a burden as well.

My gunsmith (who has done work on my cowboy action guns and I trust) has given me a ballpark figure of $500 if he has to start with a blank and considerably less to install a take off barrel.

We'll see how it goes. I certainly appreciate everyone's input.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
Do you live in New Mexico ? There is a 6.5" on e-bay for $99.99 + shipping. You might try contacting the various handgun shops that do custom work.

LPRoad

Bearcat
I do live in NM and I did see that barrel on eBay, thanks. I see you are a NM resident as well, if you can recommend any shops to contact, I'd appreciate it.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Your old Three Screw Model Blackhawk will accept the Colt New Frontier barrel as well. these go for about $125 from Numrich/Gun Parts Corp.

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
LPRoad said:
I occasionally see new model 6.5" barrels for sale. I wondered if the threads are the same on the old and new models. I think I heard that the ejector rod attachment is different on the new models which would necessitate the replacement of the ejector rod housing as well?

I believe you're referring to the problem of going from an older barrel pre ~ 1983, Old and New Models, that have a stud on the barrel for the ejector housing to fit over. It takes a different ejector rod housing size screw; it changed from 6-40 w/.245" cap, to 8-36 w/.217" cap. Ejector housing screw hole also changed accordingly.

The .357 barrels never used the studded barrels, only the larger caliber barrels. So you won't have to worry about that.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Bob Wright said:
Your old Three Screw Model Blackhawk will accept the Colt New Frontier barrel as well. these go for about $125 from Numrich/Gun Parts Corp.

Bob Wright

They sure do! I had Alan Harton convert a three screw .357 to .44 Special, using a 5 1/2" Colt New Frontier barrel. I sold that one here on the forum a few years back.

LPRoad

Bearcat
Muley Gil said:
Bob Wright said:

Bob Wright

They sure do! I had Alan Harton convert a three screw .357 to .44 Special, using a 5 1/2" Colt New Frontier barrel. I sold that one here on the forum a few years back.

Now THAT would be tempting

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Getting into your thread sorta late. No where do I see any mention regarding the condition of you OM BH. As has been mentioned, the convertible 9mm/357 are seldom encountered. There is thread on collecting Rugers that give the appx numbers of each and there are not that many.

Just saying that once you cut or modify there is no return, in my opinion. Others will disagree. The revolver is no longer original! Your to do with ad you will. If has be truck gun all of its life, probably won't make a difference! Just my
Input for you to no ponder.

If you have owned the piece for awhile, why do you now not satisfied with it, I would ask?