Case coloring Vaqueros?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Congrats!

Yes the early "NEW" Vaqueros (just FYI, not "New Model") those made on the mid size frame and 44 mag on large frame, were colored from introduction in 2005 until 2009.

Ruger's process is a chemical case coloring. No actual color case hardening is done, nor is it needed.

BROKENBEAR

Single-Sixer
I have one of the very early ones in 45 Colt...
The process of the case coloring .. what ever it was .. is not a very durable coating
Since I own one I can talk about it I suppose ..fragile is the word on the "CC"
Mine has seen lots of carry ..elk n deer hunts and saddle time ..so if you want it to look and stay case colored then it will need to have limited field service
Not saying its not a fine firearm at all just saying that if the "CC" is important to you you will have to baby it ...then again ..maybe in later years they got the process better

Congratulation on your acquisition ..you will get many years of reliable service and much pleasure I'm sure

Bear

Rclark

Hunter
Yes, the CC does wear and will fade over time. But then so does a blued revolver (yes a bit more durable I admit) that spends a lot of time in/out of the holster. It just gives the gun 'character'. Certainly never hurts its shooting ability!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Recognize that the original Colts had the CCH coated with a lacquer finish, because it was more fragile to wear. And they could re-lacquered. When you get a CCH frame from places that do it these days, some usually lacquer it as well. You can certainly spray lacquer your Ruger.