The Prodigal Returneth!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Dear fellow Ruger-istas,

After a long travail away from the true home, I have just completed negotiations to purchase a Blackhawk Buckeye Special in 32-20/32 H&R. I had one of the first ones that came out and foolishly sold it 30 years ago. Now I'm buying one that is a couple of steps away from being a full on safe queen, but Lord willing, I plan to remedy that as soon as it arrives. Now I'll be able to hold my head up once again among the Ruger Faithful and share stories of my adventures at the range and in the field.

Stay tuned for further developments.

The (Returning) Green Frog

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Congratulations, I have always wanted one. Gun ship had one that someone put a Bisley grip on. I bought it, I have not had time to shoot it. I have considered finding the right grip frame and changing back.
Jeff

Johnnu2

Hunter
Welcome home my brovva.........pull up a stool and sit awhile (or a 'spell').....

J.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Looks like it will be at least a week to ten days to complete the transaction. He's in the Northern Tier and I'm in Central VA. While the gun is being packed and is traveling, I'll have time to dig out a couple of bags of virgin 32 H&R brass I got from Starline and load up some range loads using a bullet I got from my friend beagle a while back. I'm planning a trip to visit Dale53 and that should be the perfect time to wring my new acquisition out a bit. Dale loves 32s almost as much as I do!

As I type this, I'm beginning to feel like a kid the first week in December. I know Christmas is coming, but I wonder if I can last until it gets here! If I keep myself busy loading, etc, maybe it will speed the passage of time. Wayne the Shrink loaned me a Lee mould from a group buy, the famous "Keith type" bullet in 32... maybe I should cast up and load a bunch of those. Then again, Dale has a bunch of neat moulds to try while I'm up there, and of course my bench is fairly littered with 32 moulds so I can keep myself occupied. Since I don't have the gun here yet for the "plunk test" on my loaded rounds, I will standardize everything using an Ammo Checker from Lyman. Anything that will go in and out of this cleanly will work in any of the 32s I already have.

Do any of you who have been shooting the H&R round in the big Ruger have any pet loads to recommend? I've been loading mostly either 32 S&W Long and 327 FM of late. Oh man, I can feel the anticipation starting to build! :wink:

Froggie

Congratulations! Post some pictures when you get it. I love loading for the 327 magnum. It really has a wide loading zone, from mild to wild, with lots of different possibilities, most of which seem very accurate. But sorry, I don't load for any other 32 calibers.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
The list would be shorter if you asked for BAD 32 mag loads.
But then again , I have never found a bad 32 mag load.
Pick a powder you have , pick the bullet weight you want , then pick the speed you want to send it.
It will shoot .
But first ,,,, get some pin gauges check those chamber throats . Most all the buckeyes were tight and that doesn't help.
Give 2dogs a call , he can help.

O Yeah, don't ignore that 32-20 cyl. as it can be LOTS of fun .
Sometimes trying and aggravating ,,,,, but it can take you places no old 32-20 ever could.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Update: I went to visit my old friend and comrade-at-arms Dale53 and he "just happened" to have a Dillon 550 set up to load his pet round for the 32 H&R, the Keith style 100 grain bullet over 3.7 gr of W231. It was starting to rain at the range, but I was able to get enough rounds fired from a casual rest (my range bag) to see a lot of potential. :)
Another 32 enthusiast who some of you may know as "beagle" once gave me a somewhat hotter formula for a similar bullet but a little more powder, but I won't post it here because it may be a little too powerful for use in any but the full sized Blackhawk and not in the Single Six or other "smaller" revolvers. :shock:
As soon as I can, I plan to load some of each of these and go to an indoor range or my home club's range and should be able to report some serious results. 8)
Froggie

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
Hey Mr Froggie....

An old Ken Waters load was 4.5gr 800x with a Lyman 311008 115gr bullet. I've found it quite accurate in a wide assortment of guns including my Ruger #1.

We should all get together and have a 32 fest. I even got Buschenmacher into 32's even though it is a Ballard 32 S&W Long. No accounting for some peoples taste. :lol:

MI-shooter

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
I went to see Dale53 and his standard 32 H&R load looked like a good place to start. As soon as I find my lost baggie of new Starline brass, I'll go a little hotter with the "beagle load" that he suggested to me a couple of years ago. :mrgreen:

Also, I started a new thread about the strange phenomenon of factory 32 S&WL cases sticking while 32 H&R cases (Dale53 reloads) slid out easily. This seems to defy logic and the laws of physics that the case from a shorter, less powerful round would stick when those of the longer, hotter round would not. :?

Nothing wrong with a Ballard in 32 S&WL, but my idea is more like a #3 Carbine in 327 FM… now that would be SUEWEEET! 8)

Regards from Down South,
Froggie

snakeeyes4445

Single-Sixer
I have a 290 inch Henry in .327, blue receiver with round barrel. Even with receiver sights it feels too heavy to be handy. My ,357 Microgroove sixteen inch is just right for packing,
I would buy just about any single shot in .327 and a Number 3 would be fine.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Belated updates: Friend Brass Magnet, I found a couple of hundred rounds of virgin Starline brass and some once fired stuff as well, then Dale53 gifted me an additional 50 rounds as loaded ammo with some sweet Keith style SWCs, so I'm good to go for the moment. 8)

Snake45, I only paid 2.5 times as much as I sold my original one for about 25 years ago. :?

My brother and I took his 11 and 14 year old grandsons out to our club range last Thursday. They really took to shooting just about everything we put in their hands, especially the Buckeye Blackhawk with both 32 S&W Longs and 32 H&Rs. Even the younger, much smaller one took to it like a duck to water! My brother brought his little Shopkeeper, but I think the Blackhawk was the bigger hit.

Froggie

PS the "Prodigal" was a reference to my going away from the "true path" and selling my original 32 combo Buckeye Spl. But never fear, the prodigal has returned.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Well, I was back at the range yesterday with freshly loaded 32 H&R (Dale53 formula) and 327 FM (my own "secret formula") ammo. Firing both the Buckeye 32 H&R and the Stainless 327 as well as my custom K Stainless S&W 327, I came to a disturbing conclusion. The Stainless Blackhawk 8-shooter does not turn my crank like the other two do, even with the hotter loads.

I'm now wondering whether it would be totally foolish to have my 32 H&R cylinder reamed to 327 and letting it be my "token" single action for all things 32 (keeping in mind its auxiliary 32-20 cylinder). I like the traditional idea of a six shot SA, and of course the blue BH is beautiful.

I've always thought of factory 32 H&R as being "magnum wannabes" and nothing in my recent shooting has changed this, but I can't help but wonder whether I'm throwing away too much value by reaming the H&R chambered cylinder. Am I in need of an intervention? In my defense, the blue, 6 shot cylinder has the same dimensions as the stainless 8 shot cylinder, so with only 6 chamber holes it should be a little stronger than the stainless one... like I would need the extra strength! ;)

Your thoughts, please.
Froggie

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have shot the Skeeter Skelton 32 mag loads in my SP101 32mag, SP101327 and GP100 327 and all go bang nicely and are accurate loads. I usually do not shoot them in my SSM 32 mag. A load with potential and taken directly from a loading manual is 10.5/296/85XTP and it does 1250 and sounds loud but cases slide right out of any of the 32's. SS's load of 95SWC/8.5/2400 is a good load and quite effective on small game. My TC 32Mag, really a 308 bore, shoots 4.5/unique/100SJ Hornady @1250 and is a very accurate load and very mild. 32 long load that is very accurate is 2.6/231/90Hdy swaged bullet light but effective on small game , clocks 950 out of my 32Mags . I know loading manuals list a lower velocity but what I quote is what my ProTac got at 10 feet.

"I'm throwing away too much value by reaming the H&R chambered cylinder. Am I in need of an intervention?"

Yes, and yes, IMO. But it's your gun and you get to "molest" it in whatever manner you choose.