SS Single Six Hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blackmore

Blackhawk
A poster on another board is selling one of the 7.5" stainless Single Six Hunters in .17 HMR. There is no mention of a .17HM2 cylinder being included. IIRC, all of those Single Six Hunters in both .22 and .17 left the factory with 2 cylinders. We got several of the .22 models and even a .17 one when my friend could still buy out of the UGB program.

Does anyone recall if they ever sold this revolver with just a single cylinder? Thanks.

k2nd

Single-Sixer
I remember that they did bring out a 17HMR only Hunter. I'll have to search my catalog collection for the year/years it was available.
k2nd

mike7mm08

Buckeye
The two cylinder 17 hunters came out first. Very few were produced and demand high dollar. For whatever reason, probably the unpopularity of the 17 mach II the two cylinder was rather quickly discontinued. They then offered the 17 HMR only hunter. Was cataloged for a few years but were rarely seen. I was fortunate to snag one.

One theory floating around the internet at the time was that there were reports of the .17HM2 cases splitting.

1) Don't know if this is true, or not.
2) If it IS true… sounds like either an ammo problem, or possibly a problem with the chambering reamer (i.e., chambers being oversized)?
2a) I seem to remember reports of case neck splitting on some of the early .17HM2 ammo, in rifles. Maybe their was a problem with the brass annealing, or something?

I'm not trying to spread rumors, just throwing these things out to see if they ring a bell with anyone else… they're just miscellaneous thoughts lurking in the back of my mind… :p

mike7mm08

Buckeye
There was reports of brass issues with both the Mach2 and the HMR. I have encountered the occasional split case with the HMR in both my single six and some rifles.

I think the real problem was the popularity of 17HMR. If the 357 mag came out before the 38 special how many people would be interested in the 38? Who wants to go down in power?

Also the Mach II was originally hyped up for semiautos. Which never happened. Have to see if I can find the magazine article about the introduction of the Mach II. Was still the days of Ruger showing off products that never made it to production. Article showcased a 10/17HM2 and a Ruger MKII pistol in 17HM2.

Initially the thought was a 17HM2 was low enough pressure to just drop into any semi auto 22lr design. Nope same problems as the 17HMR.

Just too many negatives put the cartridge into a very small niche market. As such manufacturers of guns and ammo quickly decided it did not make much sense.