Ruger Cougar worth it with this Colt barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wagsfn

Bearcat
I recently found a forgotten SS Colt King Cobra 6" 357 magnum barrel. From what I remember it's a NOS and guessing 1988-1992 manufacturing period? A couple slight handling marks but basically new. When I purchased it I was thinking Security Six Series "Cougar" (the Python was more popular obviously). Retiring in a couple months and was thinking putting this together as a retirement project or just forgetting about it, period.

Overall cost is my main issue. I'll first need another SS Security Six (beater if lucky), and then a competent gunsmith who is familiar with want I'm looking to do. Am I throwing money away or should I just dump this barrel? But dog gone do those Ruger Cougars look neat...... Thanks!
SV76ss2h.jpg

6JtkkCCh.jpg

oZm5syPh.jpg

To start - JUST MY OPINION

If you have the money and want it done, go for it. You'll have to find a SS Security Six - so figure $600-$700 depending on where you are. And I think you will be VERY lucky to find a "beater" SS Six of any kind. Then finding a gunsmith who wants to take the time to do it right will cost you. Personally, if I were to do it I'd want the gunsmith to remove the barrel markings and either leave it smooth or put custom markings on it.

I'm sorry to say that it would then be a niche gun and you probably would not get what you invested in it unless you find someone who really wants it.

For that kind of money you can buy a GP100 and it will look pretty close with the full underlug and you can get it spiffed up (high polish, etc.) and not spend a fortune.

All that said, contact Bobby Tyler at Tyler Gun Works ( https://www.tylergunworks.com/ ) in Friona, TX and ask him for an estimate. Bobby and his crew does EXCELLENT work. Here is one he did for me:

n7M2H9Ih.jpg

hittman

Staff member
No doubt I've "wasted" more money on dumber stuff.

It's YOUR money so your call. Just know going in this is not something you'll get your money back on. Limits your potential buyers a bunch.

Look at all the single action custom guns sold here and elsewhere. Folks are always claiming the asking price is half what they've got in it.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
It would NOT! be a Cougar if you removed the Colt verbiage from the barrel! The look would be gone JMO
I have handled and shot a few of these conversion's and all were a joy. Go for it!

Terry

Doesn't Bowen install Colt barrels for the Ruger's? If you do the project, make sure the gun shoots tight groups. You wouldn't want to do the project if the gun isn't going to be accurate. Personally, I like the look with the Colt barrel, but I'd make sure it's very accurate when all the dust settles. BTW, are the old Colt barrels supposed to be better or just look different?

T.A. WORKMAN said:
It would NOT! be a Cougar if you removed the Colt verbiage from the barrel! The look would be gone JMO
I have handled and shot a few of these conversion's and all were a joy. Go for it!

Terry

Terry, Excellent point, I really didn't think of that when I posted.

wagsfn

Bearcat
I appreciate all the positive feedback. Like I assumed and knew, this will be an expensive project with little to no return on my investment in the future. The game changer for me is a reasonable priced SS Security Six. Good luck I guess? But you never know. Until then I'll leave this barrel out to keep my interest alive for the time being.

eveled

Hawkeye
I'm not sure I'd do it without the vented rib. That's what makes it so distinctive looking.

RSIno1

Hunter
https://www.jgsales.com/smith-wesson-10-revolver,-38-special,-no-barrel,-blued,-gss,-cai-marked,-used,-s-w.-p-104679.html?SID

Here is what you need to make a real head scratcher hi-bred.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Will you enjoy it ? If so , go for it .

Are your plans contingent upon getting your $ back out of it ? Avoid it .

Snake45

Hawkeye
eveled said:
I'm not sure I'd do it without the vented rib. That's what makes it so distinctive looking.
This is true. The finished product is just gonna look like a 6" GP100 at first glace. :?

daveg.inkc

Hunter
RoninPA said:
To start - JUST MY OPINION

If you have the money and want it done, go for it. You'll have to find a SS Security Six - so figure $600-$700 depending on where you are. And I think you will be VERY lucky to find a "beater" SS Six of any kind. Then finding a gunsmith who wants to take the time to do it right will cost you. Personally, if I were to do it I'd want the gunsmith to remove the barrel markings and either leave it smooth or put custom markings on it.

I'm sorry to say that it would then be a niche gun and you probably would not get what you invested in it unless you find someone who really wants it.

For that kind of money you can buy a GP100 and it will look pretty close with the full underlug and you can get it spiffed up (high polish, etc.) and not spend a fortune.

All that said, contact Bobby Tyler at Tyler Gun Works ( https://www.tylergunworks.com/ ) in Friona, TX and ask him for an estimate. Bobby and his crew does EXCELLENT work. Here is one he did for me:

n7M2H9Ih.jpg
Simply beautiful, Ron!!! Very nice.