My Police Security Six came in.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Picked it up couple days ago and yes the blue has a good bit of wear but the action locks up nice and the bore looks good. Supposedly it came from Australia but only
thing I see is a Georgia GDM stamp or etch on the left side. What does that indicate?
Will take it down to the range this weekend and see how it shoots.
KuKOY3tl.jpg

3bjlwDBl.jpg

Mus408

Hunter
Thinking of sending it to Ruger for a bluing job. All the blue is gone on the back grip area plus normal holster wear.

Shot it yesterday and it shoots as well as my S&W Model 66. Both were made in 1977.

k22fan

Blackhawk
After reading this thread I re-oiled mine. It has serial number prefix152 and is stamped "Police Service Six." I was struck my how good looking its blue steel and walnut looked. We used to take those things for granted. No more. Neither S&W nor Ruger have actually blued guns for a long time, maybe 20 years? Go to a store and handle a new "blued" Ruger before deciding what ever finish it has is what you want and worth your money. The difference between the new substitute finish and real bluing is visible from across the room. If I was going to reblue either brand I'd take the gun to a gunsmith. Locally a couple of old men still do real bluing as a small business.

I wish mine was a .38 special but I can live the long chambers. Compared to S&W revolvers I prefer Ruger's larger fixed sights.

My blue 2 3/4" .357 is in the same prefix and is also marked "Police Service Six." It came with square butt "service" stocks but I like the "compact" smooth walnut oversized stocks better when shooting "real" .357s in it, so found a NOS pair online and put those on.

You're right: the fixed sights are about the best factory sights I've found on a DA revolver. In fact, I think this model is about at the zenith of police revolver development. Took me over ten years of looking in CA to come up with one that was legal to purchase, and didn't involve TWO daylong drives to register and receive. Fair price too for a near mint gun--I'm usually pretty slow on the wallet draw, but not that day.

Mus408

Hunter
My mistake.....it is the Police Service Six. Might just keep it the way it is. I wiped it down with Ballistol and the stocks came out nice!

bogus bill

Hunter
My Lockheed Aircraft security dept. Carried 4" Speed Six`s in stainless for many years. Probley have went to
9mm by now as I retired over 21 years ago. Had 35 years their. Ours were stamped LAC with a three digit bin #. Also The grips were the non standard rounded gun fighter style. Kind of like a colt lighting I had,

island boy

Bearcat
Nice gun! I used to live right down the street from there. Who knew!

I bought my Security Six, a '73, in Lawrenceville, GA, at Bullseye gun store and range. I went to get a Makarov, guy tried to sell me a flashy nickle .38 S&W K-frame 4", but this one spoke to me.

After he called it "old, and ugly!?!", I bought it. After all, .357 > .38, right? :)

Y'all, may I introduce "old ugly" to you! One of my loves...

ZFNMh60h.png

k22fan

Blackhawk
I'll only agree that rubber looks old and ugly. However, I do not doubt that you find it more comfortable firing magnums.

Malcolm2

Bearcat
My stainless Police Security Six had the barrel separate from the frame after 12 rounds of Armscor 158 grain FMJ. The folks at the range had never seen that type of failure. They sent the remains to Ruger to see what they will do.

hittman

Staff member
That gun has been out of production for about 35+ YEARS!

I'd guess the warranty is long expired …… maybe they'll give you a discount on a GP100.

That old Service Six has import marks on it too so Lord only knows how its been treated.

Malcolm2

Bearcat
hittman said:
That gun has been out of production for about 35+ YEARS!

I'd guess the warranty is long expired …… maybe they'll give you a discount on a GP100.

That old Service Six has import marks on it too so Lord only knows how its been treated.

Ruger provided an RMA and the gun is going to them for inspection. I am pleased that they are willing to take a look. The Australian Police may have a gunsmith that was in to weightlifting.