Red dot on Ruger Blackhawk .45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trailduster

Bearcat
Anybody currently using or have used
a red dot for hunting and/or target shooting?

Thinking about replacing the Bushnell 2.5 Phantom Magnum scope with one.

No experience with red dot's.

What will hold up to
.45 Colt or .45 ACP rounds w/o getting beat to pieces?

I'd be using from 50-100 yards,bench rested shooting at targets such paper,steel etc.

Thanks In Advance
Doug

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I have a Ultra Dot on my .357 mag. Pretty good rig. It will not be as precise to aim as a scope though. I am pretty sure the Ultra Dot will hold up to anything you want to load.

98Redline

Blackhawk
I have an Ultradot match dot on my SBH Bisley Hunter. Been there for 10+ years, has seen countless thousands of full power 44 mag loads and has been 100% rock solid. Never shifted zero and plenty good for 100yard work if I do my part.

I also have a Deltapoint on a 44mag Redhawk that has done well but has seen a fraction of the total round count of the Ultradot.

98Redline

Blackhawk
Jeepnik said:
How are you mounting the ultradots on the Blackhawk?
I was going to recommend the Weigand Combat mounts. They make a no drill mount that replaces the rear sight and has a clamp for the barrel and ERH, however it says they will not work with a .45 cal or 30 carbine blackhawk.

Weaver and B-Square used to offer a no-drill scope mount for the Blackhawk but I believe they are no longer being made. You can find them on the secondary market if you so desire. I don't have any info on whether or not they are secure or not.

If you are looking at a MRDS (reflex type mini red dot) then places like EGW make a mount that will replace the rear sight. I have one of these on my RH and it is plenty stable.
A tube type red dot on a 45 BH I think I might just go the drill and tap route for the top strap.