Old Model BH 45 Colt ammo Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sofmatchstaff

Bearcat
I tried to load some 45 Schofield ammo in My OMBH, chambers OK, but the cylinder wont turn past the loading gate. The stuff works in the M25 Smith. Any one else tried this?

Johnnu2

Hunter
MG is correct per the Starline Brass website. Here's an excerpt: "45 Schofield is similar to the 45 Colt. Differences include head diameter approximately .010" larger, case length is 1.090" to 1.100" compared to 1.273" to 1.283" in the .45 Colt"

sofmatchstaff

Bearcat
The rim diameter is the conclusion that I came to also, to bad, as I ended up with a bag of the stuff. guess I feed it to the M 25.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If your gun's cyl has recessed chambers, then of course the larger rim diameter wouldn't even chamber enough to rotate the cyl at all. So the rim diameter has nothing to do with the problem, your gun must just super tight headspace and the normal variation in brass dimensions is the problem.

It's quite likely therefore, that even 45 Colt ammo using Starline cases would not function in your gun either!

Or it's possible that it's a bad lot of brass. Measure the rim thickness, my Starline Schofield ammo and my Winch 45 Colt ammo both have rims that measure .055" rim thickness; that's the normal thickness for both.

Did you buy the ammo new or from someone else? Was it a real good price?

jack black

Blackhawk
I use the starline Schofield cases in all my Blackhawks in 45 cal and in my old Vaquero and also in two New Vaqueros with no issues.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
If your gun's cyl has recessed chambers, then of course the larger rim diameter wouldn't even chamber enough to rotate the cyl at all. So the rim diameter has nothing to do with the problem . . .
Another possibility: I had my 1st year NM .45 ACP cylinder modified to shoot .45 AR and the extractor ratchet in the center had to be clearanced to allow rounds to chamber:

wP09cUy.jpg