I returned my SP-101 .22 LR 6-shot to Ruger for Service

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Folks,
Current data as of 3/9/2021. I called Ruger and paid for a return label $30 via FedEx. Only system for firearms CURRENTLY (subject to change without notice, usual disclaimers apply) is to call for a pick up. Pick up window was 1030 to 1500 hours, the day I called. Pickup was by the usual FedEx man, at 1432 hours.

The problem seems to be a soft cylinder. The chambers expanded at the base jamming the cartridges. It kept getting worse. I sent in the required documents and included six fired cases indicating the problem. We will see..package is enroute to Newport, NH.

Geoff
Who hopes all goes well.

gunzo

Buckeye
Curious about the age of the SP because of the charge for the return label.

Ruger seems to, or did have break off point for offering them free.

Good luck on your repair. It will likely be returned in perfect order.

I had to pay for shipping back my SP101. I used Fed Ex too, but it was $36. I just took it to the Fed Ex office. I suppose you had to have it picked up because you had a pre-paid label? Perhaps?

Let us know what they say and how it is when you get it back, Good Luck

NikA

Buckeye
Hard to imagine a soft cylinder in .22LR. The pressure is so low the metal would need to be softer than annealed brass.

I would speculate a rough spot or burr, or some other dimension out of spec.

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
NikA said:
The pressure is so low the metal would need to be softer than annealed brass.

I agree. Even with zero heat-treat, steel has to be stronger than brass.
Sorry to read that the issue requires sending in, and that you're eating return-shipping.
On the plus-side, I've shipped a couple recently and it's now clear that FedEx is not raping us for Overnight rates on a handgun. That was like doubling the normal ground-rate charge.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
The brass became too difficult to extract. The pointy cylinder pin didn't help. When you have to push in down on a table to clear the brass, something is wrong. It got worse with age. I will find out what Sturm, Ruger et al say.
Age of the gun? Almost brand new, I bought it in June of 1993, no mods.
Geoff
Who owns six Rugers two long guns, two revolvers, two semi auto pistols.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I've heard of rough chambers being hard to eject shells from? Others echo my first thought. Impossible for .22 cylinder to wear or expand given the thickness of steel and low pressure of the round. Unfortunately Ruger will not tell you exactly what was wrong most likely.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
recumbent said:
What brand of ammo does this?
I sent them samples of fired CCI CCI .22 LR, bulk AR Rifle rounds. I notice the same effect with CCI Mini-Mags, Federal Premium and Remington Hornet ammunition.

Geoff
Who should be on the range, but my knee is acting up in the cold weather in Florida, it's a chilly day, it won't hit 70 until NOON!

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
The package has been delivered. Hopefully, the revolver is still in it. Ruger hasn't called, text, or emailed. I'll keep the forum posted.
Geoff
Who is anxious.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Oh fribjus day callou callay"
Ruger has acknowledge receipt of my revolver!

"Dear Valued Ruger Customer,

We have received your Ruger firearm and are reviewing your concerns. We will work hard to address your concerns and get back to you quickly. Our typical response time is less than one week, but we will update you along the way so that you can track the process.

If you have any questions about your firearm, please contact Customer Service..."

Geoff
Who awaits the results with baited breath! Pardon while I go apply a high quality mouth wash.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
OK, now I'm worried. I got these two emails, on a Friday afternoon, only MINUTES apart:

Please be advised that your Ruger firearm has been transferred to a technician for evaluation.

We will email you again when service is complete.

If you have any questions about your firearm, please contact Customer Service... "

AND:

We have completed work on your Ruger firearm, and are now preparing it for shipment.
We will send you the tracking number when your firearm is being shipped.

If you have any questions about your firearm, please contact Customer Service..."

Geoff
Who will wait anxiously....very anxiously...from Friday afternoon.

Geoff:
I got the same set of two emails when I had sent my SP101 .327 in to have them look at it. It's weird, they are really great with communications, and then you get an email, "in for repair." and minutes later, "ready to be shipped back." Literally, the emails I got were word for word, the same as the emails you posted. It must be some sort of automated system they have.

I'm following this, because I'm very curious what they will have done to your revolver.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Maybe its just that the tech gets gun, fixes it then send both email when he's done?

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
No notice of shipment received yet. I assume it will come on Monday 15 Mar 21.
Geoff
Who is anxious, and nervous, and paranoid...or perfectly normal for the time of year.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Notice of shipment received, 17 Mar 21; ADULT SIGNATURE REQUIRED!
Geoff
Who wonders what the current definition of an Adult is? As long as they don't ask My Lady Wife's opinion, I should be OK.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Revolver was returned, via UPS at 1800 hours 3/17/2021.

"Additional Notes:
Returning firearm
Reamed cylinder chambers
Fired 32 rounds Blazer 40 grain
Repair, safety function check, Range test & cleaning have been completed, released for shipping."

I took it to the range this morning, 3/18/2021, I fired 100 rounds of the nastiest .22 LR ammo I had; Remington Vipers high pressure and dirty. I had NO PROBLEMS with ejecting the fired cases.

I am VERY pleased with Ruger Service, turn around time ONE WEEK shipping to receipt.

Geoff
Who thinks Sturm, Ruger & Co. have lived up to their reputation.

Latest posts