Gifting a gun legality's.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bogus bill

Hunter
We live in Utah. Daughter lives in Arizona. She is here visiting and I want to send back a colt scout for my 19 year old grandson. She is a little hinky just taking back due to registration etc. To me it`s a non factor, I wouldn't begin to worry about. How do you guys feel about it and how would you handle it?

RSIno1

Hunter
ALL interstate transfers MUST go through an FFL per federal law. Even if she is in UT or you are in AZ an FFL in the state of the receiver must handle the transfer.

bogus bill

Hunter
Maybe. But realistically what's the odds of getting stopped, and shook down? Ten thousand to one?

NikA

Buckeye
Based on my previous research, it would be legal for you to store the gun at her residence, for her use, and will it to your grandson, all without involving an FFL. You cannot gift the gun (or any other transfer of ownership other than bequest) across state lines without involving an FFL.

18 USC 922(a)(5)(B)

Just make sure that everyone involved knows it's a temporary loan for all legal sporting purposes.

hittman

Staff member
Doesn't grandson have to be 21 to own a hand gun?

If so, have your FFL ship it to his FFL in two years. Then there shouldn't be any questions.

RSIno1

Hunter
hittman said:
Doesn't grandson have to be 21 to own a hand gun?

If so, have your FFL ship it to his FFL in two years. Then there shouldn't be any questions.
States are different on age. AZ must allow 18 year olds to own handguns based on their open carry law: They allow any person who is at least 18 years old to open carry, and 21 years old or over to conceal carry a firearm without a permit.

In CA I couldn't purchase one until I was 21 but the law allows parents/grandparents to gift one at 18.

Check and make sure AZ doesn't have a time limit on loans: CA it's 30 days.

Your daughter getting caught is probably a million to one. But do you want her to end up with the federal felony on her record?

jdowney

Bearcat
Possession vs ownership is weird.

What I recall from living in AZ was that when I was 18 to 20.99999 years old, I could borrow my father's 9mm and carry it openly (I don't recall if it was purpose specific - like sporting only), but I could not actually own a handgun. Bear in mind though, I'm now 50, so even if my recollections are accurate they may reflect laws no longer applicable.

I almost moved back to AZ when they passed constitutional carry. I've never heard of registering there.... that's a really foreign concept :mrgreen:

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
Maybe you are planning to fly down to Az six months from now to visit your daughter and you want to have the gun there, but you wouldn't be able to take it on the plane with you.

G2

Hunter
Lots of interesting information posted, let's go to the Source that counts.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca

nvbirdman said:
Maybe you are planning to fly down to Az six months from now to visit your daughter and you want to have the gun there, but you wouldn't be able to take it on the plane with you.

A firearm can be taken on an airplane, it just has to be locked in a case and then put in your checked baggage. You have to alert the airline so they can do what they and the TSA needs to do (inspect to insure it is done correctly). If you do it that way, DO NOT allow anything on the bag that would "tell" someone there is a firearm in the bag. Also, do not use a "TSA approved" lock on the case that the handgun is in. You use your own lock and YOU keep the key(s) - do not allow anyone to tell you otherwise. If they try, get a TSA supervisor immediately.

bogus bill

Hunter
Thanks guys. Some of this overly cautious stuff reminds me of seeing a guy drive through town towards the sheriffs dept. He had a revolver hooked over his car aerial. You could only see knuckles and eye balls.
Another factor about being a "Goot German" is now the gun is in the system for Biden's henchmen to earmark their house. How many of us old collectors have maybe FIFTY unregistered guns?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
bogus bill said:
Thanks guys. Some of this overly cautious stuff reminds me of seeing a guy drive through town towards the sheriffs dept. He had a revolver hooked over his car aerial. You could only see knuckles and eye balls.
Another factor about being a "Goot German" is now the gun is in the system for Biden's henchmen to earmark their house. How many of us old collectors have maybe FIFTY unregistered guns?

I don't have that many, but not one of them is "registered", unless you define that as the NICS paper trail. If so, about 1/3 are "registered".

bogus bill

Hunter
It aint happened yet. She`s here to help my wife nurse me as I just got out of the hospital and am next to paralyzed from the beltline down. Actually this is more about 50 guns, my collection and accumulation. I am 79, busted my hip two years and lately have fell eight more times. While I hope to get better I am a realist and it looks gloomy. Both wife and daughter have to get me out of my recliner just to take a whiz. Now I am trying to make up my mind what to do with my collection. It`s always been hard for me to let go of things.
The biggest thing I learned is "Smoke em if you got them while you still can.".

NitroAcres said:
My Father and I traded guns all the time when he was still alive..never gave it a second thought.

This happens a lot more than people think because they don't know the gun laws of their state and the federal laws. Then one day they say something to the wrong person, or someone overhears them talking and "alerts" the authorities and both people are in a heap of trouble.

If a person owns even one firearm, they should also familiarize themselves with the firearms laws in their state and the federal firearms laws that concern them and what they own. It could save them A LOT of problems in the future.

That said, to get the information, do your own research. Don't just believe everything a gun shop counter person or even a law enforcement officer tells you, I have run into too many people that have been given information from people who THINK they know the laws, but have NEVER read the laws themselves. Hate to say it but most police DO NOT know the guns laws of even the state they patrol in.

I've been in the gun business for over 30 years and I still run into situations that I do not know the answer and have to do some serious searching/asking to get the answer.