New model Flattop Blackhhawk Convertible

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Antipaladin

Single-Sixer
Just picked this 357/9mm convertible up at the FFL and now I understand why people say the full size Blackhawk is oversized for the 357 cartridge. Great ergonomics on this gun and love the trimmed down grips.

DHD

Single-Sixer
You're not wrong that the fullsize BH is a whopper in 357 (the 32's must be tanks). However, there's some comfort in knowing you aren't going to blow one up. Mine is a 4 5/8" SS model and it has never disappointed.

The Flattop is still a strong thing as I'm sure you know. I bet you'll enjoy it.

Rclark

Hunter
However, there's some comfort in knowing you aren't going to blow one up.
Compare the cylinder chamber/throat wall thickness to .44 Mag. Remember .44Mag has about the same max SAAMI psi. The wall thickness in .357 in the medium frame and large frame and you can tell it is 'over kill' and 'over over kill' :) . The Medium frame though conforms more to standard Colt size so just feels right.... Which is a good thing :) .

I have the .357 flattop 5 1/2" version . You'll enjoy yours. Was just out to the range with mine this last weekend. Both the .45 Colt and .357 flattops.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
The midframe flattop has a little thicker cylinder walls than the colt SAA. It would take one heck of an overload to wreck one. I do wish they made a version with an aluminum XR3 grip frame, as these guns are quite heavy for hip carry compared to the originals.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
71shooter said:
The midframe flattop has a little thicker cylinder walls than the colt SAA. It would take one heck of an overload to wreck one. I do wish they made a version with an aluminum XR3 grip frame, as these guns are quite heavy for hip carry compared to the originals.

Yes the Ruger mid frame cyls are .060" larger in diameter than the Colt cyls.

Also, it's pretty easy to install an old model XR3 alum grip frame on a new model:

OLD Model grip frames adapted to NEW Model guns with simple modifications:

1. Drill a hole in the OM grip frame above the trigger guard for the cyl bolt NM plunger & return spring. Replicate the location of the hole from the NM GF.

2. Grind off the spring shelf web on the back of the NM trigger and use the OM trigger return spring and plunger.

3. the OM GF trigger slot must be widened, or the NM trigger must be narrowed, your choice. You may have to lengthen the rear of the slot just a bit for the trigger to go far enough back to release the hammer. Makes a great trigger stop too if you lengthen the slot just the right amount. There you have it, piece 'o cake.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Antipaladin said:
Just picked this 357/9mm convertible up at the FFL and now I understand why people say the full size Blackhawk is oversized for the 357 cartridge. Great ergonomics on this gun and love the trimmed down grips.
If standard Blackhawk is oversize for 357 Magnum, can you imagine full size Bisley with 7.5" barrel. That is the reason why I didn't keep 357 Magnum Bisley for long time.

BTW, what is the steel, standard (blue) or stainless, and what is barrel length?

eveled

Hawkeye
P89DC said:
Now OP needs the 44 version.

and the .45 convertible.

As much as I love my old model flat top .357 I think I like my new model .45 flattop even more. .45acp is a joy to shoot from it.