Vaquero with Desert Ironwood Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I had some Arizona Desert Ironwood at home and sent it in to Eagle Grips to have them make me a set. The gun is a Bobby Tyler special, .357. The tree it came from had been hit by lightning and had dark streaks running throughout. That's what the dark line is running down the grips.

F.jpg

B.jpg

BDM1

Single-Sixer
That is beautiful and absolutely unique, at least i have never seen any like that. Those grips would be a conversation starter at any shooting meet, i would never get rid of those!!

Rocdoc

Buckeye
As above, how do you go about the process to have them make a set from your supplied materials?

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I sent them my original grips and a slab of wood. It took two months and cost $190. I called ahead and spoke to the guy who usually answers the phone: Nate.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have seen grips made from desert ironwood, as well as many small artifacts, such as carved roadrunners, but as I recall, have never seen the tree. Does anybody have a photo of the tree that is the source of such wood? I'd like to see a photo. I assume its a fairly small scrub tree like most desert growth?

Bob Wright

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
They can be small scrub or have a 2' diameter trunk and stand 20' high. It is the latter that is usually struck by lightening and ages for decades. These trees will live hundreds of years. Many photos available by googling.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
SteelBlue said:
They can be small scrub or have a 2' diameter trunk and stand 20' high. It is the latter that is usually struck by lightening and ages for decades. These trees will live hundreds of years. Many photos available by googling.

Did that. As I suspected sort of a scrubby tree, typical of southwest desert growth.

Thanks for the tip. Googling is not something that immediately comes to my (old) mind.

Bob Wright

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
As the name suggests, Desert Ironwood is extremely hard and dense. It is most often used for knife handles, but I thought why not try it for grips.

I do like your grips. Ironwood does make nice knife handles. Here is a pocket knife I have with an ironwood handle. It's about 7 or 8 years old.

Come to think of it, I've never seen an ironwood tree. Or if I have, it didn't shout out, "Hey, I'm an Ironwood Tree."

15WTtgtl.jpg

P9XB9Ujl.jpg

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Bob Wright said:
I have seen grips made from desert ironwood, as well as many small artifacts, such as carved roadrunners, but as I recall, have never seen the tree. Does anybody have a photo of the tree that is the source of such wood? I'd like to see a photo. I assume its a fairly small scrub tree like most desert growth?

Bob Wright

Search on "Olneya" to see images of the Desert Ironwood tree.

jdowney

Bearcat
The sawdust is certainly an irritant, but it varies a lot from tree to tree. Most I've used just had a kind of unpleasant smell, but I remember cutting one piece on the table saw and a minute later it was like having a head cold. That only lasted 30 minutes or so.

Sure is pretty wood though! Nice grips in the OP, they did a good job for you :mrgreen: