Vaquero with Desert Ironwood Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I have cut up a bunch of ironwood on my table saw. I had heard the dust was problematic, but I had no issues.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I don't think anyone offers ironwood grips for any gun. I was lucky enough to find these guys who would make them from wood I sent them. If you send them your original grips and some ironwood they will duplicate them for you.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
The Ironwood I have worked with seems to always finish darker . What I find to work with is generally repurposed /damaged carvings from the Seri/Yaqui Indians in northern Mexico. A lot of wood there that nobody wants after an ear gets broken off.
Stuff has a bright , beautiful grain when you cut it and rough sand it. Progressively darker the finer you sand and almost black with bright streaks by the time you polish .
These have no finish or stains applied , just naked polished wood.

413863501.jpg

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
That is one of the beauties of desert ironwood, no finish required. But a linseed-based oil works ok too.

jdowney

Bearcat
needsmostuff said:
The Ironwood I have worked with seems to always finish darker . What I find to work with is generally repurposed /damaged carvings from the Seri/Yaqui Indians in northern Mexico. A lot of wood there that nobody wants after an ear gets broken off.
Stuff has a bright , beautiful grain when you cut it and rough sand it. Progressively darker the finer you sand and almost black with bright streaks by the time you polish .
These have no finish or stains applied , just naked polished wood.

413863501.jpg

Have you been down to that store on S. Palo Verde? Woodworker's Source is the name if I remember correctly. They used to sell small offcuts from a knife maker or someone like that. I picked up several nice burl pieces back when I lived in Tucson.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
jdowney said:
Have you been down to that store on S. Palo Verde? Woodworker's Source is the name if I remember correctly. They used to sell small offcuts from a knife maker or someone like that. I picked up several nice burl pieces back when I lived in Tucson.

Yup , know the place and Yup , they have had their way with my wallet ,,,,a few times.
Can often find interesting grip and handle woods , by the board foot. Good thing I only need a couple of sq. inches at a time.
This is how I get the Ironwood carvings . Could find unloved , damaged ones at yard sales or thrift stores pre covid.
This is two of them and some left over scraps.

414495804.jpg

414495803.jpg

I have heard of sacrificing for art but this is sacrificing art for ME.

jdowney

Bearcat
needsmostuff said:
jdowney said:

Yup , know the place and Yup , they have had their way with my wallet ,,,,a few times.
Can often find interesting grip and handle woods , by the board foot. Good thing I only need a couple of sq. inches at a time.
This is how I get the Ironwood carvings . Could find unloved , damaged ones at yard sales or thrift stores pre covid.
This is two of them and some left over scraps.

414495804.jpg

414495803.jpg

I have heard of sacrificing for art but this is sacrificing art for ME.

Pretty good repurposing of broken stuff. I never would have thought of that :mrgreen:

You must know Kent's Tools too. I still have a lot of tools and equipment I bought there. One thing I almost picked up once but was too poor was an Emmert vise. No idea how that got out to Tucson, but there it was, a mere $300 as I recall. It was the model bigger than the import that Woodcraft used to sell for $250, but I had no cash at the time and couldn't swing it. Probably didn't need such a thing anyway, but like six shooters, those vises have a major cool, gotta have factor going for them.

toysoldier

Hunter
SteelBlue said:
They can be small scrub or have a 2' diameter trunk and stand 20' high. It is the latter that is usually struck by lightening and ages for decades. These trees will live hundreds of years. Many photos available by googling.

My father-in-law, a machinist who did a lot of woodworking, told me that wood from a tree struck by lightning would be difficult to put a finish on, as the wood tended to fuzz up. Maybe that's just walnut.