Standard Blackhawk to Flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Antipaladin

Single-Sixer
So if I wanted to turn a standard adjustable sight, stainless Blackhawk into this, I'd just have to sand the top smooth then weld up the top?

8f678fb00c9464d195b5d828c8f660a9.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
There have been folks who have taken a "protected ears" Blackhawk,, and milled the topstrap into a FT design. HOWEVER,, the biggest issue is having the rear sight retention pin hole low enough to where it'll still hold the rear sight.
Often,, the pin hole is too "high" in the frame. You just have to study the measurements.

Antipaladin

Single-Sixer
I did a 3D drawing of a couple of my Blackhawks. Not sure exactly how much metal would need to remain over the pin holes before it would be thin enough to see some kind of "shadow" of the pin hole. But as you said, all of them were pretty thin at that point. Plus, it would be damn slow going sanding and welding it while making sure not to heat up the metal enough to potentially introduce brittleness. Nobody wants a topstrap cracking/shattering into pieces when shooting. Guess that's why it takes years of experience and specialized equipment to safely do this stuff. :)

Johnnu2

Hunter
Here's one done by David Clements several years ago.... it's very close. The case coloring helps too.

J

K1500

Single-Sixer
You would still have a large frame Blackhawk when the flattop is a mid frame (assuming you are referring to modifying a current production new model).

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Note, too, that the tang on the Micro rear sight is rounded while the tang on the current Blackhawks is squared. Would require some milling to adapt the Micro rear sight, if that is the ultimate goal.

Bob Wright

TDF

Single-Sixer
K1500 said:
You would still have a large frame Blackhawk when the flattop is a mid frame (assuming you are referring to modifying a current production new model).

Original flattops, and New Model flattops came in both large frame and mid frame.

TDF

Onty

Single-Sixer
K1500 said:
I would say the goal was appearance only.

The main purpose (and advantage) of Flattop mid frame new production is to have lighter revolver for lighter recoiling rounds. I had 357 Magnum Bisley, just too much steel for such cartridge. Sold it after several months. For the same reason I didn't keep S&W 617.

This is a Single Six I did a few years ago. The biggest issue is the sight itself. The protected ear sight has a 'bump' on the underside. I had to use a sight from a flat top to make it work (thank you Rob). (Excuse the 'fuzzy' photo.)

N7HMrURh.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Sometimes the pin hole must be welded up and re-drilled lower. To use a rd front tang sight, the sq front sight groove is too long and must be welded up then rounded. But you could use a later rear Micro site with the square front end.