Question about Super blackhawk square trigger guard grip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Hi all!
Is the currently made Super blackhawk square trigger back grip frame compatible with the old larger frame Ruger Vaquero?
I saw this one on Midway and got to wondering.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004340974?pid=560754

Enigma

Hunter
Yes, they are basically interchangeable. All Single Sixes, Blackhawks, and Vaqueros share a common screw pattern for the grip frame. You may encounter problems with the height of the 'ears' on some grip frames and cylinder frames. Newer cylinder frames lack the slots for the alignment tabs found on older grip frames. Also, Ruger grip frames are shipped as-cast, and require fitting and polishing (and finishing, as applicable) - some more than others.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
If you'll pardon my intrusion, here is a former Ruger Bisley fitted with the Super Blackhawk grip frame:

100_7663_zps6d23c47b.jpg

This is a Blackhawk that originally was fitted with the aluminum grip frame, then fitted with the Super Blackhawk grip frame:

100_0003_zps4hlwgi51.jpg

And here is a Blackhawk temporarily fitted with the Bisley grip frame. (Since been changed back to Blackhawk configuration):

101_0011_zpstbrpeouj.jpg

As pointed out, the screw patterns are the same. Fit-up may be perfect from the git-go, or minor fitting may be required. Brand new, not take-offs, require more fitting and finishing.

Bob Wright

daveg.inkc

Hunter
The interchangeable parts on Blackhawks adds to these great handguns. Many shooters swap hammers. I like the SuperBH grip frame size. I think the brass Super sized frames are the best.