Ghost sight front sight...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
What kind of front sight do you use/need with the "ghost ring" sight blade on a Ruger Blackhawk. Does it work well with the ramp front sight?

Old RugerFan

Bearcat
A ramp sight will work, but when I changed out the rear sight on my 4" GP-100 /.357 to a ghost ring I also changed out the front to a gold bead. Now it is so quick/easy to pick up the sights it's crazy. Just put the gold ball in the middle of the fuzzy ring and boom!

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Have the ghost sight in and will shoot it to see how I like it and determine point of impact. I might modify the front sight if I like the ghost sight in general. My main problem with the Ruger is seeing the ramp front sight. Light reflects off the ramp and the sight disappears.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
I had a gunsmith make custom partridge front sights for my Redhawk and Super Redhawk. That helps with the glare problem.

Later a neighbor gave me the smaller of his two One Ragged Hole rear sight inserts.

I installed it on my 9.5" SRH and then bought a Ruger front gold bead sight and installed on the front. I painted the gold bead with a black laundry pen and I was very well equipped then.

Three44s

hedrok

Single-Sixer
A simple fix for the "hard to see" or "glare" regarding the front sight is sight paint.
Birchwood Casey makes paint pens with a felt tip that I've used with good success on virtually every front sight I have, even hooded sights on rifles. White base coat and a bright green final coat are what they recommend. According to many, the human eye sees bright green the best of any color. An iridescent orange color over the white base would also work...if they make it. Or maybe fingernail polish?

Onty

Single-Sixer
woodperson said:
What kind of front sight do you use/need with the "ghost ring" sight blade on a Ruger Blackhawk. Does it work well with the ramp front sight?

You are lucky!

When I purchased SBH 5.5", I found that factory blade with square notch is somewhat too small for me. When smith was swapping grips, I asked him to put lager ghost ring (rings where shipped straight to him). Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. When aiming fast, I have tendency to move front sight too high. On top of that, ring opening is too large.

I paid attention to a smaller ring. I liked its size more than a larger one. However, I started thinking about cutting it through center, so just lower half of the circle will remain. Will see how it works.

I have put a gold bead, Green or Red fiber optic sights on many of my revolvers. It just makes it a pleasure to shoot when the sights are so easy to acquire. It may not be a traditional look, but I can hit my target, with a much better certainty. That also makes it more fun.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Onty said:
I started thinking about cutting it through center, so just lower half of the circle will remain. Will see how it works.

Ummmm, doesn't that make it the same as a stock sight blade ?

Onty

Single-Sixer
needsmostuff said:
Onty said:
I started thinking about cutting it through center, so just lower half of the circle will remain. Will see how it works.

Ummmm, doesn't that make it the same as a stock sight blade ?
Stock sight blade opening is too small for me. When I was young, even small sights on VIS Radom M35 were just fine:

z6X4IHW6tgYHrQiSQQJ0ISb0uJN1rGOC1caj7_wvTVIm9359hhtdace86Q36Kgu6jOXAB4lLdRnzctMRix6H6qNG7NUIKnOcoOrL_zYKD_h0k5Z2fh5KtT78GVjBDrtpzzXAiCC1PwiJj1VizB_xtk1Px8li

Not any more.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I did cut a ghost sight in half. Did not like it much. Both the full ring ghost sight and the stock square notch worked better for me. I had a red dot on the gun. Did not like the feel of the gun with it. I still can put the red dot back on if I want to shoot at small marks. Right now I am just deciding what to do with the front sight to make it more visible and to work with the ghost sight better. I need to shoot it again to get a rough idea of the height I need the front sight. Have not had the opportunity to shoot for several weeks. Maybe tomorrow.

98Redline

Blackhawk
woodperson said:
I did cut a ghost sight in half. Did not like it much. Both the full ring ghost sight and the stock square notch worked better for me. I had a red dot on the gun. Did not like the feel of the gun with it. I still can put the red dot back on if I want to shoot at small marks. Right now I am just deciding what to do with the front sight to make it more visible and to work with the ghost sight better. I need to shoot it again to get a rough idea of the height I need the front sight. Have not had the opportunity to shoot for several weeks. Maybe tomorrow.
Have you tried one of the micro red dot sights like the Trijicon RMR or Leupold DeltaPoint pro? They are so light there is virtually no difference in the weight or feel of the gun.