Why the obsession with birdshead grip?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Seems to me every photo posted here abouts lately, as well as other gun forums and Facebook pages, all the world has gone for the birdshead grip for their Ruger Blackhawks.

I had one round butt centerfire revolver, a S&W Model 625 in .45 ACP and after shooting it went to grips to adapt it to square butt. With most revolvers, I find that flare at the butt helps support the gun muzzle for better hold/aiming. I have tried, and shot, some of those old birdshead grips on the Colt Lightning Models and found them not as comfortable to shoot as the old plowhandle grift of the Single Action revolver.

Am I missing something here? Or just too hardheaded to change?

Bob Wright

Rclark

Hunter
Not me. I'll stick with the plow handle myself for open carry. Where the birds head has an edge is carrying concealed (in my mind) because of its shape. Therefore a shorty with a birds head makes sense.... My wife called my .32 Lightening 'cute'. That could be a reason too. :) .

gunhaus

Bearcat
Why choose a single action? Why the heck would some one buy an auto? What the heck do double actions exist for? Who in their right mind would choose and old blue gun when we have stainless? WHY in the name of all that is holy would you buy a stainless gun? The 45 colt is deader than a door nail. The 45 colt is the best pistol round EVER. No real shooter would own and AR. No real gun owner does NOT have an AR. How many fairies can dance on the head of a pin?

That should explain things!!!!

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Was slow to come around to the Birdshead, had one of the SS6 White Birds and got rid of when prices were rising, my second one was a ROCS edition Bearcat. Then along came the SS7 to convert me. My cousin got a New Vaquero about then.
Still don't like them much in anything other than a SS6 or 7. The proportions look wrong to me. Have a new Birdhead frame I'm working on for a Wrangler experiment.

I've further come to the conclusion I don't much like the XR3-Red, and will be doing Bisley, Hunter, and Dragoon frame swap experiments as well. Lots of projects lined up. All the grips will have Ruger medallions!

G2

Hunter
It took me a while to warm up to Birdshead, now it's one of my favorites. However I only have them in 3.75" guns, 22, 327, 45 full size Vaquero...
and now 45CAL 4.6" Flattop medium frame. Montado Super Hammer, BM #5 Basepin, Custom front sight blade, knife blade Trigger & deep dimple ERB.

Plan was chop it to 3.75", I'm re-considering, since it has Adjustable Sights... :roll:

50279025353_88a2fa3d68_z.jpg

To me, the Birdshead has its place. Not as a replacement for a plow handle on snappier recoiling SA's, but in soft puffer chamberings and for more subtle carrying.

I have a shorty Birdshead New Vaquero, chambered in .45ACP. It is a very comfortable shooting little revolver (little is relative), is easy to carry discreetly, and is surprisingly accurate.

I've bellyached that my gorilla hands swallow up even a plowhandle grip. Even more so with the birdshead, but it doesn't adversely affect its handling.

If I was out hunting deer or bear, no birdshead will ever replace a Super Blackhawk and/or Blackhawk as my primary firearm. But as a backup gun while hunting, or as a primary firearm for certain social occasions, the birdshead is the cats meow.

jdowney

Bearcat
I agree they are for mild recoil pistols, and those with generally shorter barrels.

I like the birdshead mostly because I find the pinky wrap more comfortable with them - but a big caveat here, I'm shooting them with my own grips that are fatter at the bottom and fit far better than Ruger's. If I was stuck with factory grips I wouldn't care much for birdshead either I think.

Part too is novelty, I'll be the first to admit that.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Hmmmm, can't seem to bond with the Ruger version of the Birdshead ,,,,and I tried.
But I seem to be OK with The Italian version of a Thunderer grip .
Go Figure.

BearBio

Buckeye
The BEST single action grips are those on "real" Bisleys (Colt), followed by plow handles, then by Ruger "Bisleys". Birdsheads last.

Just my opinion from 60+ years of shooting SAs in calibers up to 454.

InjunBro

Bearcat
I prefer the lightning/thunderer grips but birdshead are next because the they fit in the palm of my hand better. For heavier calibers the Ruger Bisley is preferred. The Ruger plow handle grip belongs on a plow. I also like Bisley triggers because they're round like my finger, some new autos have flat triggers I find somewhat crude. When I was in the business of building custom guns I was amazed @ what people wanted & would pay for. When they got what they wanted their shooting improved. Whatever works for the individual is the ticket.

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
https://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/5263/992745439/wm_6751490.jpg

I have one of those in 45 ACP and like it a lot- one of my favorite revolvers, really well made little shooter, cheap big bore ammo, handles fast, accurate.

Either handle style is AOK with me.

G2 said:
It took me a while to warm up to Birdshead, now it's one of my favorites. However I only have them in 3.75" guns, 22, 327, 45 full size Vaquero...
and now 45CAL 4.6" Flattop medium frame. Montado Super Hammer, BM #5 Basepin, Custom front sight blade, knife blade Trigger & deep dimple ERB.

Plan was chop it to 3.75", I'm re-considering, since it has Adjustable Sights... :roll:

50279025353_88a2fa3d68_z.jpg

Tell my Mr. Wright what is wrong with this. Very Handsome Revolver. That's what I'm talking about!
Obsession?? I do not think so! What wrong with being a little different? ps

Sugar River

Buckeye
Had a Cimarron 44 Spec with birdshead grip. It went down the road pretty quick.
I'll take a hog leg for most cartridges, Bisley for the fire breathers.
BH might be OK in a 32mag or such, but haven't tried it.