SecuritySix rear sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief

Single-Sixer
I have a 2 3/4" barreled , stainless steel, Security Six. The revolver was dropped some time ago and the aluminum rear sight took a beating. It still works but looks awful. Are these rear sights availble anywhere? Can a rear from the GP100 be used?
Thanks
Chief

Chief

Single-Sixer
Thanks for that link. I notice that they have sights w\bump or without. Is there an SN range for this? Does it make a difference on fit?

Well, I took apart 2 of my Security Sixes.

The 150- serial number had the flat bottom rear sight.
The 160- serial number had the bump bottom rear sight.

I probably need to take a few more apart to see if there is any rhyme or reason, but I don't think it makes a difference. The sight channels for both the low back and high back were machined the same.

Chief

Single-Sixer
Mine is a 159- serial number. I will have to take mine apart and check it. Do you pull the elevation screw out and then remove the pin?

JStacy

Blackhawk
You can just look at the sight body and see if it needs a "bump" rear sight blade or plain one . If it was made for the blade with teh bump there will be a small hole in the sight body in the sight track to slide in the blade with the bump.

Chief

Single-Sixer
I guess I am confused about this "bump". Does the bump refer to the sight blade or the sight body? I thought the bump made a difference in figment to the gun itself.

I thought you were talking about the sight body itself, that is why I answered like I did. That said, there are sight blades (the white outline or all black piece you adjust for windage) that are flat (just straight stamped from sheet metal like #46 picture of the parts break down) and there are ones that have a small "bump" done when they stamped them out. The little notch you can see in the shopruger picture creates the bump.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/ruger/revolvers-ruger/security-6 #46

https://shopruger.com/Double-Action-Revolver-Steel-Rear-Sight-Blade/productinfo/90036/

The channel in rear sight body, where the sight blade goes in, may be straight and flat while other sight bodies may have a small notch cut into them. That notch is to allow the sight blade with the bump to go into the sight blade channel easily. A sight blade channel that is flat (no notch) won't accept the sight blade with a bump. A notched sight blade channel will accept either type of sight blade.

Hope this helps.

Oh as for the rear sight body with the bump at the bottom front, it can work in any of the Security Sixes as can the rear sight body that is flat at the bottom front.

Chief

Single-Sixer
@RoninPA Ok that clears things up. I thought that the bump refered to the sight body itself rather than the sight blade. I need the sights body as it is bent. If I get an assembly then all is well.
Thanks to all!

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
The Security Six uses the same rear sight as current Ruger revolvers. Call Ruger and discuss; it's a drop in replacement, and the new ones will have a white outline rear blade.

Best, Jon

Latest posts