38 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
Did Ruger ever make a single action ie: Blackhawk, super blackhawk, Vaquero in 38 Special only. If so did it have adjustable sights. Thanks

Any reason why? Smith and Wesson seem To have a variety of revolvers specific to 38 Special. And Ruger has the SP101 chambered for just 38. And isn't there an LCR for just 38?

A larger frame revolver like the Vaquero would be pretty nice in just 38.

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
No reason other then I like single actions and I am looking for something for a kit gun. I do a lot of swamp walking and would like a medium caliber. Chose 38 Spec. because I load for it all ready and have dies and molds. Something with a 3 or 4 " barrel like an LCRx . I guess the SP 101 fits the bill because I have seen them on GB with adjustable sights. Right now I am caring my single seven 327 with the 7 1/2" barrel but its a little bulky

hittman

Staff member
If ya wanna shoot 38s, put them in your 357.

Ruger has made many many models in 38 Special ..... just not SINGLE actions.

LCR
SP101
GP100
Security Six
Service Six
Speed Six

... each available in 38 only.

unionprez

Single-Sixer
NikA said:
3" .38 LCRx is 15.7 oz unloaded and has adjustable sights. About as nice a walking around .38 as I can think of. Model number is 5431.

I had that gun and loved it. Carried it in the woods all the time, it was accurate and reliable....until when I was cleaning it one day, I noticed what I thought was flame cutting on the top strap. At that time, the gun had maybe 100 rounds through it. Went to the range and shot 50 rounds and took it home to clean it. The flame cutting looked worse and to the point I wasn't comfortable firing it. No hot rounds fired from it except 5 rounds of Buffalo Bore
.38 special to check accuracy. Ruger had me send it in and after looking at it, they offered me a new one and said that my gun would be destroyed. I told them I didn't feel comfortable with another gun with an aluminum frame. They ended up sending me a .357 3" LCRx with a stainless steel frame at no charge. You can't beat Ruger customer service.

hittman said:

LCR
SP101
GP100
Security Six
Service Six
Speed Six

And why haven't they offered a single action in 38? When I asked any reason why earlier, I meant why hasn't Ruger made in in 38. It seems like other companies make them, and people would probably buy them.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
The same reason nobody will listen to me about a 327 Fed Ruger rifle: they don't think there is a market

smith1961

Blackhawk
Kevin said:
hittman said:

LCR
SP101
GP100
Security Six
Service Six
Speed Six

And why haven't they offered a single action in 38? When I asked any reason why earlier, I meant why hasn't Ruger made in in 38. It seems like other companies make them, and people would probably buy them.

Just reach out to Lipsey's and tell them you want one. They were quick to answer our calls for a .41 Vaquero or mid-frame over the last 7 years, four months and twenty three days ago.................. :(

contender

Ruger Guru
The short answer as to why no SA handguns from Ruger is the profit margin would be low.
Yes,, it would only require a different chambering of the cylinder, and marking the frame. BUT,, the BUYING market would be very weak,, and as such,, not profitable.
Some of us who collect,, would buy one,, but not use it.
But the number of serious collectors seems to be a small pool of people. So sales would not be strong even among us. Heck,, I prefer to collect OM SA handguns,, and unless I could buy a factory built one CHEAP,, I'd probably pass because it would be a NM.

And the practicality of it all,, doesn't make much sense. A SA handgun doesn't lend itself to the CCW crowd,, so it's field use would be it's main purpose. And,, since you can already get a .357 Mag,, load it with 38's,, and be just fine,, again,, sales would be weak.

Remember,,, Sturm, Ruger & Company are in the business to make MONEY,, and the guns & such are the avenue to that end. It has to be able to make a profit, and that profit be substantial enough to justify the changes they'd have to make.

gunzo

Buckeye
Not doubting the combined knowledge here. But bare/bear with my cobwebbed mind.

There wasn't a special run of SASS 38 special Vaquero's ?????????

k22fan

Blackhawk
Contender's current lounge thread is about how a few of us are slightly less active than when we were in our 20s. some of us don't even shoot noisy magnum cartridges as much as we used to. My old model .357 is very pleasant target shooting with .38 Specials. I haven't shot a magnum in it for a while. I'm probably not the only member that has not. A modern stainless version in .38 Special would be tempting. True, I do not need it but I'd enjoy shooting it. Isn't that the reason most owners of single actions bought them?

contender

Ruger Guru
k22fan,,, you are on the right track.
However,, look at the current hot selling caliber. It's .9mm. by sales & production, the 9mm is currently enjoying being the top caliber of choice among shooters overall.
LEO's use it, the military uses it, NATO accepts it as the official caliber, and with those endorsements,, the general public follows that & wants the same thing. Plus,, it's in those new fangled bottom feeding, guns that use a separate ammo holder called a magazine.
In many eyes,, the SA,, or any revolver is an obsolete firearm. Revolvers thrive using a rimmed cartridge, and all of those calibers have taken a back seat to the semi-auto, brass shucking, don't worry about picking up brass, spray & pray mentality of the modern movie educated shooter.
Sales drive companies to produce what sells, AT A PROFIT.
All successful sales people know the following; "Give the customer what they want."

So, yes,, often as we age,, many of the serious revolver shooters have found it more fun & pleasant to shoot less recoiling calibers,, and don't engage ourselves in magnumitis. With that,, sales of rimmed calibers are less than the rimless ones.

The overall sales of ammo is an easy way to gauge the attitude of the general populace of shooters.

eveled

Hawkeye
I would want it to have a shorter cylinder and a smaller frame window. To reduce weight and have a longer barrel in a shorter package. All that would require a major design change so I know it won't happen.

Just saying I don't want a .357 sized .38.

Latest posts