38 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

k22fan

Blackhawk
While I can not write that I lust to fire 9mm Luger cartridges in a single action those cartridges do sell buy truck load, so offer a second cylinder to fire them. Maybe even offer a mid frame with only the 9 mm cylinder. It is the least expensive center fire revolver factory cartridge.

Any new frame size is not going to be based around .38 special. The current mid-frame combined with an aluminum grip frame is not too large or heavy for recreational purposes. Lots of people would not want one. That's fine. Lots of people do not want DA 5 shot .44 Specials, 10 mm revolvers and many of Rugers relatively new offerings. .38 Special snubs still sell like hotcakes. Some of their owners might like a recreational revolver that takes the same cartridge.

Now just to prove I'm a stubborn curmudgeon I'll go out side and shoot some 148 grain WC cartridges in my Redhawk.

dougader

Hunter
gunzo said:
Not doubting the combined knowledge here. But bare/bear with my cobwebbed mind.

There wasn't a special run of SASS 38 special Vaquero's ?????????
I think they were 357's and 45's.

toysoldier

Hunter
eveled said:
I would want it to have a shorter cylinder and a smaller frame window. To reduce weight and have a longer barrel in a shorter package. All that would require a major design change so I know it won't happen.

Just saying I don't want a .357 sized .38.

There's only about a 1/8" difference in cylinder length between my Security-six and a S&W Model 10 in .38 special, but the frame is definitely lighter. There's a lot of these ex-police .38's out there. How about finding one and getting a gunsmith to put on a 7" barrel?

wwb

Hunter
Kevin said:
Any reason why? Smith and Wesson seem To have a variety of revolvers specific to 38 Special......

S&W was making .38 spl revolvers before there was a .357 mag, and long before Ruger existed. Probably just carrying through all their previous offerings, and adding the .357s as a different model.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I can say for certain that Ruger made some in the 1980s. At least 24 and probably no more than 48. All as a special order for British gun clubs.

While in England in the 80s I got to visit a shooting/hunting club. A couple of members had Ruger MK II with barrels over 20 inches. I also got to shoot a S&W 10 with about the same barrel.

Later back stateside I saw a picture in a Gun Digest book of a Freedom Arms revolver. A special batch for retail sales in England.

JStacy

Blackhawk
as field guns go the SP101 4" 357 is an excellent choice. You can easily load, you said you load for the 38 spl, light loads in the 357 case or just shoot 38's in the 357 cylinder. An occasional cleaning will remove the crud that builds in the cylinders. The 3" SP101 , non adjustable sight model , also serves well as a field gun with a load regulated to the sights.

OK, OK, yes there was single actions made in 38 special, and here is one of the first months production circa 1956, and I would not sell it for 10 times a 38 spcl "Wrangler" (if there was one)..............

hbmcAlgl.jpg

8) :roll: :wink:

and now about 65 years later, I can also use the Ruger Single action offered by our friend Bobby Tyler, and I can use 357s as well as 9mms,,,,damn, life is good....

3bSrjQ9l.jpg

:shock: :wink:

Ditmo said:
I just bought a Cimarron Model P JR in 38spl. It's about the size of a single six. That's an option.

Yep, that's what comes to mind whenever I think about a single-action properly scaled to the .38 Special round. They look like neat little guns. And yes, Ruger could make a similar gun, but with the new frame and everything its cost would be like the full-sized guns and yet only have a somewhat limited market, as has already been pointed out.

And the first thing we'd hear would be inquiries about having them reamed out for .357 ammo. :wink:

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Ditmo said:
I just bought a Cimarron Model P JR in 38spl. It's about the size of a single six. That's an option.

Here's a 3 1/2" P JR. in 38 SPL.
Hard to grasp the size in the picture but think Single Six Vaquero .
Nice little "walk about " gun.

414483708.jpg