ruger vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yes, just like the Buckeye Special Blackhawks of 1990, the S-3840, came with an extra cylinder for 10 mm auto, headspaces on the mouth of the case, like the 9mm and the 45 acp.........so just gotta find, make or modify ( rechamber) one for your gun....there's custom guys out there who will build you a cylinder to your 'specs'

coach

Hunter
I just did a quick search and a couple of YouTube videos came up with 40 S&W and 10 mm and 38/40 came up. One guy thought Davidson's had a run of 38/40-40 S&W a while back.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Yes, a while back, Ruger put out a limited number of Vaqueros with dual cylinders; 40 S&W and 38-40. They are fairly rare and quite expensive.
Stainless steel, 5 1/2 inch barrels and 4 5/8 inch barrels.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, I do not think a 38-40 cylinder can be reamed to accept 10mm.

Another note.
If you have one of the rarer variations of Ruger that accepts 38-40 or 40 S&W and desired to shoot 10mm, a spare cylinder would be the best way to accomplish this. Find a .357 cylinder, that fits, and have it properly reamed to accept 10mm. That way, you could keep the rare variation intact, and still be able to enjoy a different caliber.

gak

Buckeye
Just get a .357 Vaquero or Blackhawk (large frame) cylinder and have it rechambered. It's been a long time dream of mine to have my/donor .357 mid-frame (NV) made into a "triple threat" .38-40/.40/10mm. All cyllinders given a different treatment to quickly tell them apart ...The .38-40 cal "just because" with a donor midframe .357 cylinder heavily old west/blackpowder chamfered, the .40 made from the donor gun's cylinder/otherwise cosmetically stock (mild factory bevel) - for cheap(er) shooting/plinking/desert trekking and CCI snakeshot availability (unique in this trio), and the custom-cylinder fluteless 10 for serious hunting/bear country camp duty.

Just saw Contender's same suggestion ^^ sorry for the redundancy!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
One cyl could be set up to use full moon clips for both .40 and 10mm. The fast way to empty and reload a single action is to pull the cylinder anyway.

The back end of a 38 -.40 chamber is the size of a 45 Colt. It would have to be re-lined and then reamed for 10mm.