SA Ruger I always wanted

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Onty

Single-Sixer
For many moons I was searching forum for this picture. And finally I found it! Not on forum, but on my hard drive :mrgreen: .

I always preferred Ruger Bisley over any other configuration of SA revolver. I do have now SBH stainless, 5.5", with Bisley grip, hammer and trigger swapped from Bisley Vaquero. Going this way I have also a grooved cylinder, something I never liked on Bisley and 7.5" SBH. However, I found that, at least for me, Bisley hammer spur does not have optimum design. I liked hammer spur on SBH better. So, when I saw first time a picture of custom made old Flattop Bisley, I said "this is it", the best configuration of single action revolver. Well, now I am retired, and didn't stop thinking about it. Since I would like to have a revolver for shooting range, most likely it will be Flattop stainless 357/9mm, converted to Bisley the same way.

Anyhow, here is the picture of that revolver I would like to share with you:

Zuzi1yL.jpg

If I remembered correctly, this revolver was done by Alan Harton. Hammer is modified by welding curved back. Hope that gentleman who owns the gun could tell us bit more.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That .44 is a nice configuration.

Although I'm not a fan of the Bisley grip. I prefer the SBH round guard grip frame. Also fluted cyl, SBH but Bisley trigger:

xlarge.jpg

And bordered SBH Hammer:

standard.jpg

Rodfac

Blackhawk
While I'm not a fan of the Bisley's looks, I do like those grips on the Flat Top...stained, fiddle back maple I'd say. A nice combination with a 5-1/2" bbl'd revolver. But, I'll also say that looks come a distant 2nd to performane...how's it shoot? I've never shot a Bisley in a big bore caliber. Some say the grip mitigates the recoil better than the plow handle type....

Hondo, what appeals to you about the Bisley hammer...way back (hell I'm talking about the last century!), in my boyhood, I managed to break both of my thumbs. As a result, SA cocking as most do it, is impossible for me. I have to do it with the weak hand when shooting two-handed, or by loosening my grip when single handed. Always wondered if the Bisley hammer would help in that regard.

Here's a set of fiddle back maple grips I made for my son's Single Six....finished in tung oil....after seeing the set in this thread, I might have chosen a stain to help bring out the figure.

Best Regards, Rod

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Rodfac said:
Hondo, what appeals to you about the Bisley hammer...way back (hell I'm talking about the last century!), in my boyhood, I managed to break both of my thumbs. As a result, SA cocking as most do it, is impossible for me. I have to do it with the weak hand when shooting two-handed, or by loosening my grip when single handed. Always wondered if the Bisley hammer would help in that regard.
Best Regards, Rod

Hi Rod,

Those are beautiful grips you made!

Actually I don't care that much for the Bisley hammer, only the Bisley trigger. I prefer the low, wide spur of the SBH hammer. However, I'd highly recommend the Bisley hammer for you. The Bisley hammer spur is even lower than the SBH hammer. And for ease of cocking that's a real plus!!

My wife had trouble cocking her Ruger Super Single Six .22 because of her small hands and weaker thumb due to arthritis. I lightened the hammer spring and installed the single six Bisley hammer (and trigger). She loves it and it made all the difference in her ability to shoot comfortably:

orig.jpg

This is another of her favorites with Bisley hammer that I made up for her:

standard.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Rod,, as an instructor,, I understand limitations to operating an action on any firearm. You mentioned using your "weak" hand to cock a SA handgun, when using a 2 handed hold.

Actually, that's a very good way to cock a SA. If you study it,, by using the weak thumb,, you are not shifting your primary had grip,, which can cause accuracy to suffer. I usually teach folks to use the weak hand thumb to cock a SA handgun.
Next,, a SBH, a Bisley, or sometimes a Montado hammer is often a better solution for those who have hand issues making it harder to operate a SA. I'd suggest you look into maybe look into that,, as noted above.
I just wanted to point out that the weak hand cocking is not necessarily a bad thing. Good luck!

Johnnu2

Hunter
+1 on 'weak hand' cocking..... I've been shooting that way all my (very long) life.... two hand hold/weak-hand cocking.... no matter if it's a single-action, double-action, auto with a hammer.... That's how I do it.

IMHO,
J.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
This is another of her favorites with Bisley hammer that I made up for her:
standard.jpg

Hey Hondo , I do enjoy a nice Bisley Hammer or a SBH in a pinch but us mere mortals cannot ever find them for the single six sized frames .

But my question is about the cool Thunderer frame and what parts it took to make it ?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's sadly true, about Bisley hammers for the small frame. Although Ruger made a "clean up" run of Bisley .32 H&Rs's in the recent past so you may get one from Ruger, albeit likely only in SSteel. And the SBH/Montado hammers were never made in the small frame size. The ultimate solution for both Bisley and SBH hammers for small frames and particularly for small frame 3 screw old models is to cut the top off of full size hammers, cut out a section below it and section it by tig welding the top to the bottom. Use an old model hammer bottom in the case of the Bisley hammer in the snubby w/Thunderer grip above. And if you can't locate an old model SBH hammer.

Old model 22 with sectioned SBH Hammer. Also made into a Flat Top small frame:

large.jpg

I tried the Ruger Birdshead grip:

orig.jpg

Then I decided I liked the Colt Lightening/Thunderer style birdshead 2 piece grip better. I cut the back strap and most of the butt strap off of a new model Ruger XR3 steel grip frame leaving the spring mount attached to the front strap, and drilled and tapped a 6x40 hole for a Ruger grip frame screw thru the piece of butt strap I left at the bottom of the front grip strap toe. Inserted the back strap of a Cimarron Lightning/Thunderer grip frame and screwed it together. The top two holes of the birdshead back strap align with the Ruger frame holes. The butt screw went into my new hole drilled and tapped in the front bottom end of the piece of butt strap left on the Ruger front strap. If you use the front strap from a Ruger XR3-RED grip frame (old or new model depending on the guns vintage), there won't be any front strap sticking out to slim down. Or just make a new set of grips to fit . I also added the Bisley hammer.

standard.jpg

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Thanks for the details! My electric welding is limited to Stick ,,, so no hammer surgery in my future. :?
Wonder if a hammer can be torch welded ,quenched and tempered and how hard do you want them ? :shock:
Thanks for the rundown on the Thunderer grip. Looks like I got to find some Parts. :D

dakota1911

Buckeye
They are nice. I saw a 45/45ACP convertible in a LGS years ago and had to have it.

Then a couple years ago a shorter one in the same LGS.

My thumb is O.K. with the hammer.