Looking for .22LR Revolver Advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

red ryder

Single-Sixer
I have decided to buy a Ruger .22LR revolver, but there are many kinds with a wide price range and that is what makes the decision a bit puzzling. I got the idea to buy a .22LR revolver because I was shooting Browning .22LR ammo in my Sako Finfire II JRSJ400 which is the best .22LR rifle I have ever owned. Approximately one of every ten Browning cartridges were not ejecting and required manually pulling it out of the bore. That never happened with any other brand of .22 ammo. Well at first I thought of just giving the remaining ~350 rounds away. I then got the bright idea to purchase a .22 revolver for a few hundred dollars so I don't waste $20 worth of ammo. :D Fortunately my wife doesn't go on firearm forums. I started out looking at a Heritage revolver and then a Ruger Wrangler. I decided I wanted to get a better revolver and it would be a Ruger. Well, Ruger makes several more expensive .22 revolvers. I would most likely purchase new as I don't know enough to purchase a used (sorry, pre-owned) revolver. I have looked at a Bearcat, but not yet a single six. I don't have a need for a .22 WMR cylinder, nor the higher capacity revolvers (single 7,9 or 10) as it is not for self defense. The Bearcat had an adjustable rear side, which I don't need and I doubt the old cowboy revolvers had an adjustable sight. The Bearcat would probably be more than I need, but I think the Wrangler is less than I want. The single six would be nice, but it's more expensive than a Bearcat,. I am leaning toward the Bearcat, but wonder if the single six is worth the additional money for my purpose. I am open to your suggestions. Thank you.

The key here is what is your "purpose"? What exactly are you going to use it for? How often do you shoot? If you plan on target shooting then adjustable sights would be suggested Go to your local dealer and handle each you spoke of. One may just say "take me!"

hittman

Staff member
Bearcats are pretty small for some folks hands, mine included.

My choice would be ..... in this order--

SP101
OM Single Six
Wrangler

Fox Mike gives sound advice. If you can, fire one of the revolvers at a range (range rental gun, friend who has one, or perhaps a kindly stranger?).

One big thing to consider is whether you want a single action, or a double action revolver.

Single action revolvers are "cowboy guns," which it sounds like you have some interest in. Loading/unloading can be sort of slow- either tedious or therapeutic, depending on your viewpoint. I rather enjoy it, sort of a deliberate process.

Double action revolvers are old cop/detective guns, see movies through the 1970's for virtually unlimited examples. They're slightly faster to load/unload, so they can eat ammo more quickly. The rate of fire is likely a little faster, if for no other reason than loading/unloading speed.

IMHO, it would be hard to go wrong with either a Single-Six (single action) or GP100 (double action). I love my Single-Sixes, but have GP100 in .22, as well.

The smaller brethren (Bearcat and SP101) are a bit harder to shoot for me, because they're a bit small for my hands. Still, I own examples of them, too- the darned things are addictive!

Fixed sights look clean, and I think they look especially "right" on a single action.

Adjustable sights often give a better sight picture, AND they allow you to easily change point of impact so that it matches the point of aim.

With a rimfire, you can't always easily adjust the point of impact. This can become frustrating as your skills develop. Shooting tin cans at short range (say, 50 feet) can be fine with fixed sights that aren't very well regulated. If you want to move out a bit (say, 50 yards), it can be very frustrating with the same fixed sight gun.

A Single-Six with 5.5" barrel, in the finish of your choice, would be a very versatile revolver. That's what I might suggest... but I don't even know you. The final choice is really up to you.

Let us know what you get. Come back in a year, and again in five years, to report whether your revolver has turned into a whole safe full of them.

Happy shopping!

red ryder

Single-Sixer
For whatever reason, I do not receive an email telling me I received an answer to this thread. In fact, if I go to the list of my subscriptions, it says I have no subscriptions to threads. As a result, it may be a while for me to reply.

If it were me, with no experience with 22 revolvers, I would do one of two things. If I had a friend that had a couple of revolvers I would get with him or her to shoot them and see what you like. Or, I would limit my expense on a purchase. You can get a Ruger Wrangler single action for under $200 brand new. In double action economic platforms a harder to find. You might find a Charter Arms Pathfinder at a reasonable price. You won't get hurt too bad in the wallet either way. JMO of course from a different perspective.... Good Luck!

Dave

falrifles

Bearcat
If you buy a Bearcat or an SP101 .22 you should be happy either way. I have both and would not part with either one. My SP101 is an older 6 shot full lugged four inch.

We have two Bearcats in the family. Both shoot to point of aim at 15 yds. Easy to carry. Fun to shoot. The SP101 is a joy to shoot and accurate. Great companion to my three inch SP101 .357 mag.

I have a 6.5 inch Single Six. Its a great gun but kind of large for packing around. I have a model 18 S&W as a companion piece to my model 15 Combat Masterpiece as well. Its not a Ruger but well worth pursuing. Very accurate.

I have a Browning Buck Mark that is a great gun also. I just prefer to shoot the revolvers. I think my Bearcat sees the most use.

bogus bill

Hunter
To start things off, I definitely would not cull a used handgun! I probably have owned around a hundred used handguns through the years. I never got stung on one but usually bought ones that were no less than 80% or so. Lots of new ones too. I probably would look first for a old model Ruger single six or a Colt new frontier. Buy something like that and odds are you wont lose money on it. Double actions, I would stick with old smiths or colts in excellent condition. I never owned a DA Ruger in 22 but suppose them okay. I have or had once owned most models of Smith and Colts and never got stung on any of them. By far, I am more into old classic in nice condition handguns than anything made new today. Here is a Ruger Single Six I have made about 1958. Still looks new. Also a old nickle colt scout. A old Colt .22 Trooper. A snub Smith model 34. Last, a Hi Standard HDM that I added old ivory carved grips. They are out there.
https://i.postimg.cc/jjKz96vK/Ruger-Single-Six-146761.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/hv4ZBWrD/colt-scout-I-3025-k.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/FRF4T1Zw/Colt-Trooper-69107.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/NFLvBHsP/S-W-model-34-75679.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/nc83Hmhj/Hi-Standard-HDM-230437.jpg

Lots of very good 22 caliber handguns out there, all types, styles but that being said if you have no idea just what "floats your boat", that is the whole idea of the new Ruger Wrangler, getting an entry level revolver that is not going to cost you an arm or a leg.....then see how it goes, and then you can work your way up and spend all kinds of money "finding out and trying...." 8) :roll: :wink:
( that 's how we got started back in the 50's spending about $38 for a good Ruger 22 caliber...... :shock:

PS: get the chamber checked out on your Sako 22...thats a good rifle :wink:

red ryder

Single-Sixer
At the risk of being banned from this forum, I must confess. I visited a couple of the many gun shops here in Cheyenne, WY (aka "The Cowboy State). I saw a Bearcat, a single six and an Uberti 1873 Cattleman Stallion 22LR 10 shot. The price was $425 for the NIB Uberti. I couldn't resist. I could say I had a weak moment and strayed from the Ruger fold. Here I have Ruger apparel, a denim shirt jacket, cap and a long sleeve tee shirt. I hope I will be able to wear these items even though I no longer own a Ruger firearm, although I have owned several Rugers from time to time..

P.S. I still do NOT receive an email of posts to this or any other thread. :?:

red ryder

Single-Sixer
rugerguy said:
PS: get the chamber checked out on your Sako 22...thats a good rifle :wink:

I went to the range the next day with Remington .22s. Fifty went through and ejected perfectly. I don't think the rifle was at fault other than it doesn't like Browning ammo.

Rclark

Hunter
Nothing wrong with straying a bit from Rugers :) . I think we all do. Let us know what you think of the Stallion.

BTW, I strayed too... I bought a .45 Colt Cimarron Model P.... Which I hope to break in this weekend....

And for .22... I really like my Single Six. It looks and feels like how a revolver should. And shoots well. I know people like their Wranglers, but after holding one, I had to turn away. Just me though :) . And as a SA guy, the DA has no pull. So it goes... That's why it is a personal choice of what to buy (or just buy them all).

pinshooter

Bearcat
I shoot .22 revolvers more than any of my guns and I bought some Browning ammo only once, it was very poor quality and I won't ever buy it again. A new revolver might also have issues with your bad box of ammo.

I do have a couple Rugers (Single Six and GP100 10shot) but I have many more S&W's.

rangerbob

Buckeye
red ryder, seng me the Browning ammo and I'll shoot it in my S&W M18 revolver and that will fix your problem. Bob! :mrgreen:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I find the Single Sixes from 1950's are excellent shooters. I bought a thousand rounds of Browning.22's. They shoot fine in my Rugers. SA, auto loaders, and 10-22's. On straying from Ruger .22's,, I'm planning on buying a SW 53 model. Some have an extra rimfire cylinder. Some have the sleeves.

Snake45

Hawkeye
red ryder said:
At the risk of being banned from this forum, I must confess. I visited a couple of the many gun shops here in Cheyenne, WY (aka "The Cowboy State). I saw a Bearcat, a single six and an Uberti 1873 Cattleman Stallion 22LR 10 shot. The price was $425 for the NIB Uberti. I couldn't resist. I could say I had a weak moment and strayed from the Ruger fold. Here I have Ruger apparel, a denim shirt jacket, cap and a long sleeve tee shirt. I hope I will be able to wear these items even though I no longer own a Ruger firearm, although I have owned several Rugers from time to time..

P.S. I still do NOT receive an email of posts to this or any other thread. :?:
I was going to tell you to buy a 4" SP101 and never look back. :wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
red ryder said:
Snake45 said:
I was going to tell you to buy a 4" SP101 and never look back. :wink:
A SP101 is not a cowboy revolver. I have a Colt Cobra so I'm covered for that type of revolver.
Your OP does not specify that you want a "cowboy revolver," just a Ruger .22 revolver of some kind. A Sako Finnfire is not a "cowboy gun" so how were we supposed to guess?

A 4" .22 SP101 and a Colt Cobra don't fill the same niche at all, other than being revolvers and being able to go "bang." Two very different guns.