Single-Sixer
Can I use Bear Loads in a 1970 Blk Hawk 357Cal 3 screw
Can I use Bear Loads in a 1980 S&W 686 357 Cal
Bear loads are HSM 180 Grain Lead RNFP: Gas Check

Thanks in advance

hittman

Staff member
I wouldn't in a Smith.

They're not known as Rugged, Reliable Firearms.

unionprez

Single-Sixer
If you look closely, somewhere on the HSM website, they say that the only Ruger handgun that will safely fire their bear loads is the Blackhawk. I actually called them and asked about shooting their bear loads out of my Redhawk and the guy on the phone told me that the Blackhawk was the only model that they approve to shoot their bear loads from. If they say that only a Blackhawk will safely shoot their product, that pretty much leaves the rest of the handguns out of the picture.

Read this.....

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

I have fired HSM, Federal, and Buffalo Bore "Bear Loads" in my 686. No issues. The Buffalo Bore is much stouter than
the HSM load. 200' per second faster than HSM with the same weight bullet.

Oh, and by the way, in bear country without a rifle I am packing my 5" 629 44 Mag. Not a .357.

unionprez said:
If you look closely, somewhere on the HSM website, they say that the only Ruger handgun that will safely fire their bear loads is the Blackhawk. I actually called them and asked about shooting their bear loads out of my Redhawk and the guy on the phone told me that the Blackhawk was the only model that they approve to shoot their bear loads from. If they say that only a Blackhawk will safely shoot their product, that pretty much leaves the rest of the handguns out of the picture.

I believe I would call them and have them confirm that. A redhawk is every bit as strong as a blackhawk. Are they not using SAAMI shooting standards? I absolutely have a difficult time believing you talked to a knowledgeable gun person at HSM. When it gets down to 357 magnum an L frame model can certainly handle any factory ammo in the industry. That's why Smith brought it out. I know Buffalo Bore used to use Hornady for testing pressures of their ammo. Not sure if they still do, but I can't imagine an ammo manufacturer taking a risk like that when the gun manufacture produces a gun that is for that cartridge. I know their ammo is dirtier than most, but I'm hard pressed to believe the pressure exceeds SAAMI regulations. Not questioning you. I'm questioning what someone who picked up the phone there said, and why they would say it.

For what it's worth Buffalo Bore says you can shoot their Heavy Outdoor 357 mag ammo out of a J frame. For those that don't know. Smith came out with (smallest to largest) and I frame, J frame, K frame (which at one time was the police gun even with 357 magnum) and L frame (mine will shoot 7 357 mags out of the cylnder), N frame, and X frame.

Heliman said:
Read this.....

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

I have fired HSM, Federal, and Buffalo Bore "Bear Loads" in my 686. No issues. The Buffalo Bore is much stouter than
the HSM load. 200' per second faster than HSM with the same weight bullet.

Oh, and by the way, in bear country without a rifle I am packing my 5" 629 44 Mag. Not a .357.

From that link . . .

"Our 357 mag. ammo adds more power than ever before to the 357 Mag. This ammo is safe to shoot in ANY all steel 357 revolver - this includes J frames. This ammo is no harder on your gun than any other normal 357 ammo. Please don't phone or email us and ask if this ammo is safe in your gun. It is, providing your gun is in a safe condition for use with any normal 357 ammo."

My only comment would be that they carefully avoid any mention of SAAMI. They may feel that they have covered themselves with the "any normal 357 ammo" expression, but that's a pretty fine point.

Full disclosure: I never use any ammo that makes it a point to use the above manipulation when discussing their product's suitability. May be fine, may not . . . personal discretion involved. Your gun, your money, your choice. JMHO

Don't know how HSM got such a bad rap. They simply market a fairly priced cartridge with a decent bullet. The velocity of their 180 grain .357 load is far less than Underwood, Buffalo Bore, and even less than the Federal Cast Core cartridge. Now folks repeat that these cartridges are somehow nuclear powered and will blow up guns.

Really?

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I know this is a Ruger Forum , and predisposed to extol the virtues of Rugers , and disparage the short comings of the various other brands . But the S&W L frame is indeed a plenty stout revolver . ( I could insert accounts of my one shooting partner's L frame loads , as tested over my chrono , but I won't publicly repeat his load data .) Heck , even the internet horror stories about K frame .357 have grown exponentially in the retelling .

I am not HSM management , nor their in house ballistician . But unless they are deliberately stupid , it is entirely credible for that ammo to be well within the CUP pressure standards for .357 Mag . ( I worded that sentence deliberately .)

unionprez

Single-Sixer
Take it easy, guys. I'm just saying what the guy at HSM told me. I use their products and I use Buffalo Bore too. I shoot both BB heavy loads and HSM bear loads in my Blackhawks, Redhawk, and 4" Speed Six and Service Six. They don't got shot much, just enough to check accuracy and then used for carry depending where I'm at. The loads we're talking about are too expensive to use for plinking or target practice.

jpickar

Blackhawk
Ammo companies say certain things a certain way. It is a lawyer making them say it. A S&W 686 or 586 is plenty stout enough to handle any 357 load. Now if you are talking about the K frame guns like the 66 or 19 then you are asking for trouble in the long run. The very first 357 made was a S&W on the N frame in 1935. I have shot a couple of the first 357 rounds made in the 1930's for the new S&W 357. They are by far the most stout 357's I have ever shot. So much so I said no I think my blackhawk doesn't need that abuse.
These first 357's used large pistol primers and hot enough loads to shoot through a engine block to stop a fleeing crook in a car, like Bonnie and Clyde, John Dillinger, etc.

I use a 629 with hot loads for bear protection.

smith1961

Blackhawk
I've been watching this thread for a while........

"the guy on the phone told me that the Blackhawk was the only model that they approve to shoot their bear loads from" subsequent to stating "If you look closely, somewhere on the HSM website, they say that the only Ruger handgun that will safely fire their bear loads is the Blackhawk."

I must be missing something. The Ruger Redhawk is arguably at least as strong, if not stronger than a Blackhawk in .357 magnum. I have HSM "bear loads" in .41 mag and .45 Colt. I can't find any printed warnings regarding "use only in Ruger Blackhawk" on either load. :?
In regard to the S&W 686, it certainly isn't a Redhawk, but it IS safe to shoot any commercially produced and retailed ammo.

Come on folks......... :lol:

unionprez

Single-Sixer
To smith 1961:
I'm the guy that talked to a rep from HSM on the phone. Do me a favor and go to the HSM website and go to the home page. Scroll all the way down and open the FAQ tab. Then open the question about what firearms are safe to shoot HSM loads in and look at what they say about the .45 caliber. I never said you couldn't shoot them out of a Redhawk, they say not to shoot them out of a Redhawk.

smith1961

Blackhawk
unionprez said:
To smith 1961:
I'm the guy that talked to a rep from HSM on the phone. Do me a favor and go to the HSM website and go to the home page. Scroll all the way down and open the FAQ tab. Then open the question about what firearms are safe to shoot HSM loads in and look at what they say about the .45 caliber. I never said you couldn't shoot them out of a Redhawk, they say not to shoot them out of a Redhawk.

Easy now,

I'm only taking this thread on the whole. Even with HSM claiming what's safe, it not exactly scientific. Freedom Arms and BFR's aside too. I referenced the weak 686 crowd as well. There's no attack on you personally, just looking at some of the stuff being perpetuated here.
:eek:

magpouch

Single-Sixer
I believe Handloader (or another magazine, I don't remember exactly as I get a lot) did an article showing that the Redhawk in .45 Colt was the strongest production revolver made, even over the Blackhawk. The cylinder is larger in diameter and has more meat all around. Logically it would have the same advantage over other smaller calibers as well, say .44 Mag or .357.

Lots of opinions out there on what is what, and most of what is printed is just that.