Grips for an early Securty Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Toyman

Single-Sixer
I bought the Security Six and was advised it was the first, original grip. I have been looking for a larger set of grips. Pachmayr, etc
but all I have found is for later models. Can anyone advise if there is a certain code for the early Security Six to check when looking for grips.
fPzoO6K.jpg

hittman

Staff member
You'll probably need to put a Tyler T Grip on it. Not saying oversized grips were never made for that but IF they were ...... they're scarce as hens teeth. I've never once seen a set I can think of. Sorry.

And CONGRATS on finding the gun. Some of us ( like ... ME! ) have been looking for a Six inch blued low back for YEARS!

Look for grips that say "For 150- serial numbers only" The 150- s/n's were the only ones made with the "low back" frame (abet there are a few 151- s/n's with a low back frame and a few 150- s/n's with a "high back" frame) and only grips made for the low back frame will fit. Grips marked "For 151- and above s/n's" WILL NOT fit the low back frames, the design is completely different. You can find different style low back frame grips made by Jay Scott and Herrett at times on eBay and Gunbroker or even here in the classifieds at times. In fact I have a set of zebrawood grips that are finish them yourself listed right now (probably on page 2, 3 or 4 by now).

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Herrett's made target style grips (stocks) for the 150 series many years ago. You may get lucky and find a set. Gun shows, surplus parts dealers, EBay, and forum classifieds are your best bet. Good luck on your search.

Best Regards,
ADP3

hittman

Staff member
Has anybody ever seen Pac's or other rubber grips made for these?

Toyman

Single-Sixer
All the Pachmayr's I have found have a disclaimer on the box for 151 range.
I tried a set of Hogue rubber mono grips they fit sort of.
I will continue to use them for now.
I looked at the ones that were mentioned in an above post but I do not want to have to finish them.

Tom-R2

Bearcat
I bought a set of Herrett's Shooting Stars for mine, but that was back in the middle 1970's. I'll occasionally see someone advertising them on eBay. Mine were walnut, but they were stained an ugly peanut butter color so I stripped that stain off and back to a more traditional walnut color, and rubbed a little linseed oil on them. They are still on my revolver to this day.

Acorn

Buckeye
If anyone is interested there a set of factory low back grips on Ebay BIN for $65+shipping. Not mine. Just a PSA. IDK if thats a fair price but if you've looked for a set they're scarce.