Old Model Flattop dates of manufacture

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TENFAN

Single-Sixer
I have an old Model Flattop .357 that has serial nbr 84xxx, when I looked it up it says 1966, would that be the year it was shipped from the factory? Didn't the stop Flattops before then?

TENFAN

Single-Sixer
I went with the number the seller sent me but I am thinking the first digit looks like a 3 instead of an 8 so 34xxx which is 1960 and sounds correct. Oh well it is still going to make a nice custom gun even if it is 6 years older than me. I will get some pics up as soon as it arrives at my door

eveled

Hawkeye
What are you planning to do to it? I have one I like a lot as it is.

TENFAN

Single-Sixer
It is definitely not a collector quality gun but I am sending it to John Powers for conversion to a .38 WCF/10mm, 5 inch octagon barrel with full length ERH, add a brass Bisley grip frame, case harden the frame and hammer and rust blue the rest. A few more odds and ends and have Scott Kolar make some fancy walnut or mastodon ivory grips. It should turn out pretty nice

J2X

Bearcat
pacecars said:
It is definitely not a collector quality gun but I am sending it to John Powers for conversion to a .38 WCF/10mm, 5 inch octagon barrel with full length ERH, add a brass Bisley grip frame, case harden the frame and hammer and rust blue the rest. A few more odds and ends and have Scott Kolar make some fancy walnut or mastodon ivory grips. It should turn out pretty nice

That sounds like an awesome revolver!
Where can I get a brass Bisley gripframe?

eveled

Hawkeye
Please post pictures of both guns, and congrats on your retirement.