Maybe I just need bigger targets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I went to the range today. It was so pleasant. I was the only one there and just as I was leaving another guy showed up.

Anyway, I was shooting my 357 Maximum. I've had it since last Fall, and have only put about 100 rounds through it. It definitely takes some getting used to. I brought a rest to shoot from, just to see the accuracy of this revolver and another. Plus it was hot, and I just wanted an excuse to sit. :D

UweVb5ol.jpg

The barrel is so long, it just shoots different than other revolvers because of the length. I caught myself flinching. Which is weird, because I don't flinch with other revolvers. But my groups were good, but more like a string up from the target. Maybe it's just the weight of the gun too. Bigger targets would help. :D

Jg2UGv5l.jpg

I love the front sight on this gun. For some reason it is very easy to see. It must be because this gun was developed for silhouette competitions, but it's just a great front sight.
1tnWKWAl.jpg

Chief 101

Hunter
I have one like it without the white grips...I've hardly shot it but it a very sweet revolver...I shot a 50 year old model 19 Smith and an old hardware store Marlin lever that I had bored to 30-55 today...all off hand and 50yds out to 200 yds...the kind of shooting that gets me smilin...
That is a very nice pic of a very nice revolver...

contender

Ruger Guru
Chief,, he's playing with photoshop to get that look on the pistol & grips.

Kevin,, you don't need bigger targets,, just better shooting! :D :D

Settle down & make each shot as if your life depended upon it.

Contender, I'll think about that the next time I go to the range.

And yeah, it is Photoshop, but the Grips are Grashorn's Elk Grips. with a smooth finish. The fit it pretty nice. I don't have the original grips that would have came with the gun. One thing I've noticed about the Maxi, is the bluing seems to be much, much darker than other Blackhawks.

QUESTION: Would they have done something different for these guns during production?

Here's the "original" picture. The wood bench at the range is too yellow. I don't care for it in the picture.
F92vmFEl.jpg

k7PPaXIl.jpg

akbluz said:
That's a beautiful revolver Kevin. I'm sure that the more you shoot it, the better your groups will get.

Thanks, I had the good fortune to shoot with Contender and his Maximum at the East Coast Gathering. Good times there, although he can be a bit persuasive about getting someone to buy a new gun. :D

bogus bill

Hunter
Yeah. Especially since I aged and got the shakes.
I never say "I am going to tell you a joke" and then write one. You gotta spring it on them.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Thanks, I had the good fortune to shoot with Contender and his Maximum at the East Coast Gathering. Good times there, although he can be a bit persuasive about getting someone to buy a new gun."

Now,, I don't have a clue as to what you mean by me being persuasive. All I did was let you shoot one,, and you had the smile of "I gotta get one" !! :D

I don't recall Ruger doing anything "different" for the finish on the Maxi's,, but I'm not the expert either on that model. Coogs or David Bradshaw would know better than I.

And bill,, I laughed out loud when I read your comment about the barn. I think all of us feel that way occasionally!