At the end of the line with this revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigbob

Single-Sixer
I have tried every grip that I can think of and STILL the 2nd finger at the KNUCKLE still gets beat up trying to shoot my OLD style blk hawk 357. IS THERE ANY KIND of AFTER MARKET grip that I can put on to get that finger away from the back of the trigger guard or anything else to do short of selling it back to the FFL that I purchased it from, AT A LOSS I am willing to try anything to keep from selling it
HAD GRIPS MADE, VERY HAPPY. This was a very crazy deal, HAD it, SOLD it, REPURCHASED it, FIXED it

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
Have you tried the rubber Pachmayr style? I don't care for the looks, but they push your knuckle below the trigger guard.

Many of us have this same problem. And many of us solve it by curling our pinky beneath the grip.

[borrowed from a different thread...]
If you've got meaty fingers, you may not have enough room for all of them on the grip. That causes your knuckle to be battered while it's jammed tight against the trigger guard.

I have this problem, and must drop my pinky below the grip, allowing some clearance between the trigger guard and my knuckle.

Otherwise, different grip makers offer grips that extend below the grip frame.

One example...

hittman

Staff member
Is it a flattop and 4 5/8 inch barrel?
What you asking for it?

:mrgreen:

Or just sell that one and get a Beesley! I have fat hands with long fingers and the Bisley grips (Colt and Ruger) have always worked very well for me.

I admit that I'm not a fan of hand cannons and the heaviest recoil I've ever subjected myself to from a handgun is .357 "Deer Loads," .44-40 and .38-40 "rifle loads," and .45 Colt "people loads." Never a .44 Magnumb or a .454 or .480 or .500--I leave them big decimal fractions for guns with stocks and forends!

Rclark

Hunter
Or just load down. For example, all my .357 loads are in the 1000-1100fps range (158g SWCs) for general purpose shooting. Lots of different ways to approach the problem!

contender

Ruger Guru
Good info above.
A few more points to consider.
You mentioned your OLD Blackhawk. Is it a 3-screw Old Model,, or just an older New Model with 2 pins?
Which grip frame does it have?
If it's an OM,, it can have either the XR3 or the XR3-RED. Different shapes to those g/f's.
Putting a Bisley g/f under it may work,, but a Bisley (Ruger factory) is a NM design,, so to get the trigger return spring to work,, an adapter is necessary. (I've got a .44 mag done that way.)

So,, a Super Blackhawk g/f may be the option,, or as noted,, a set of rubber grips. And of course,, an extended set of grip panels is also an option.
I have a set of extended aftermarket grips,, but I'd need to know which g/f you have to see if they'd mate up.

And lastly,, is it possible your method of gripping is the issue? As noted above,, by placing the pinky UNDER the g/f may allow a different gripping position,, which may cure the knuckle busting.

bigbob

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys for the tips, I checked and the FRAME itself was just too short, grips were $180.00 so I got it back to where I purchased from with a pretty good refund, lost $50.00 and he had a buyer lined up for it. I will stick to the NEW blk hawk, just SHOOTER grade from now on when I find one and hopefully it will be a lot cheaper to buy

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Much different gun, but I had the same problem with a Schofield and a USFA Bisley. Company called BK Grips makes epoxy version of the old Tyler T Grip. I've fashioned a few to fit the Schofield and USFA, fills in the curve just behind the trigger guard. I bet their N frame type would work well.

The color is "though and through" so you can dremel and file and sand to fit.

contender

Ruger Guru
Too bad you traded it off & lost money.
I would have sold you a set of bigger grips for a lot less than $180.
Or,, you could have worked a trade to get the longer g/f (like off a Super) & not been out much money.

But you mentioned the New Blackhawk.
The length of the grip frame on the Old Models & the New Models is the same. The SHAPE has changed when you go from XR3 to XR3-RED.
The XR3 has a straight backstrap,, while the XR3-RED has a slight "flare" at the base of the grip. You can do a search on grip frames & see what I mean. The only longer g/f are the ones used on the Supers.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
For future reference I also shoot and like the Herrets wooden grips. I buy them on eBay. I do not really like the looks of the gun with the Herrets as well as I do regular panels but they make it nice to shoot for me.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's too bad you didn't give members here to buy it and not have to lose $50.

Rockrats solution is the easiest and cheapest way for you, and you'll need it when you buy a new model Blackhawk.
The shooting star grips have wood that fills in behind the trigger guard so your knuckle won't fit in there to get banged up. Just like the S&W factory Target grips if you've ever seen those.

images

I bought a Blackhawk .357 when the new models first came out in the early 70's. I had the same issue as the OP had. Back then it was all about practical use for me. I screwed on a pair of Pachmayr Presentation grips and was satisfied. They weren't very "purty", but practical for my purposes.

Chief

Single-Sixer
Perhaps the Russians had a good idea with their spur on the trigger guard of the old Russian model S&W. It does get that knuckle away from that guard.

10mm

Single-Sixer
I've had the same problem, what has worked for me is replacing the stock grip frame with a dragoon style SBH grip frame. This gives my hand room and looks good at the same time. Everything I have 41 Mag to 45 Colt wears that style grip frame now.
Regards,
10mm

LAH

Buckeye
The BH, SBH & Bisley all beat mu knuckle. What works for me is the standard BH frame & curl my pinky under the grip frame. Completely stopped knuckle thump.