Anyone know the diameter of the thin SP101 grip locator pin?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Bought a used Hogue Monogrip for the 9mm SP101 and when it came in, the hole for the grip locator pin was much smaller than the pin that came on my gun. I'm planning on making a pin out of some aluminum rod or something and was wondering if anyone knew the correct diameter of the thinner grip pin? I've already emailed Hogue and IIRC Ruger, but haven't heard from them. I figure since there will be downward pressure on the pin, there may be no real need for a thicker sleeve to fill the void in the grip tenon...don't know.

Thanks in advance!

the hole in the stirrup does NOT have to "match" the pin size, they seldom ever do,,,,it will "draw down" when you tighten the bottom screw in the grip......... it helps with "two piece" grips that the locating pin is the size for BOTH the hole in the grip panel and the pin through the frame, so as to NOT allow the grip panel to shift back or forward......

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Follow-up post...

A BIG THANKS to those who told me to contact Hogue! I had already sent them an email when I posted here, and they eventually answered, but in the meantime, I called, spoke to someone and they mailed me a free pin which I received in four days. The rep who answered didn't fully understand what I was explaining, and requested a photo via email, but once she received that, she replied saying they'd mail me the correct part.

For reference, the Hogue Monogrip "stirrup" pin, called "grip locator pin" by Ruger, for Ruger SP101 with the "thick" middle/body and narrow ends is Hogue Part ID: ST-BH500-PIN. As mentioned by rugerguy above, even though the ends of the Hogue pin are turned down much thinner than the main body of the pin, the ends are a bit undersized for the holes in the Hogue "stirrup." Regardless, once installed, the grips are snug and don't move.

A BIG thanks to you guys and to Hogue for sending me a pin free of charge and extremely fast. They'll continue to be my grip of choice for revolvers!

Hope everyone is staying safe and a good week to all!