Aluminum Front Sight???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
I got a slightly used Single Seven and I was at the max rear sight travel to sight in at 25yds. No big deal, shorten the front sight and screw down the rear sight. Problem is the front sight is anodized aluminum! So cold bluing won't work so had to paint the metal.

Question is, when did Ruger make front sights out of aluminum? Just for the Single Seven?

Ed

NikA

Buckeye
I do seem to remember that some of recent S6/7 front sights were aluminum. I'd have to check mine to tell you for sure. I'm sure it comes down to what's least expensive and acceptable to the average consumer.

wow, ,interesting, I have never seen ANY front sight made of aluminum, hard to believe they would use something that would NOT take any abuse and being soft , a leather holster would wear it off in no time.....hhhmm is it a screw on assembly all one piece??? easy enough to replace the entire front sight assembly.............

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
David
As I usually do, I first got a spare directly from Ruger before shortening the sight on the gun in case I screwed up the height and it too is anodized aluminum.

Dan
Yes it is a screw on base.

Ed

NikA

Buckeye
Screw-on front sights on my S7 and a recent .32 S6 are non-magnetic and have a Ruger emblem molded/cast into them. I wouldn't swear they are aluminum (could be die-cast zinc?), but they aren't steel.

Screw-on front sight on a 264 prefix S6 is steel. Not sure when they changed. I suspect the molded/cast emblem is an easy way to identify the non-steel sights.

contender

Ruger Guru
I missed this change.
I went & checked my S-7 front sight. Apparently,, it too is alloy,, but is not marked with the Eagle or anything.

NikA

Buckeye
There's a decent chance I'm misremembering and there is no Ruger emblem cast into the front sights. Having a busy few weeks around the house and didn't get a chance to do anything but grab magnet and run it across a couple samples close at hand.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
No big deal, shorten the front sight and screw down the rear sight.
Gotta ask, since shortening the front sight on a handgun, raises the point of impact, while lowering the rear sight lowers the point of impact, how'd you make out with your sighting in...? Rod

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
I did finally get it to shoot point of aim by maxing out the rear sight elevation with the original front sight but only had a couple of threads left before the rear sight screw would come out. By taking off equal amounts front and rear, I was able to get enough threads engaged in the rear sight screw I no longer worried about loosing the screw.

Sorry if that was not clear before. I can see how it sounded contrary to what I was trying to do.

Latest posts