Old Army

Help Support Ruger Forum:

recumbent

Buckeye
I was in my local gun shop picking up a new Ruger rifle. I noticed they had 3 Ruger Old Armys in the case for sale. all 3 had adj sights, 2 stainless and 1 blue, 1 stainless was $650 and the other 2 were both $525.
I mentioned that you don't see old army's very often. He said it had been a long time since he had one and now 3 peopled traded them in in the last 3 weeks.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
So, the more expensive stainless was the one with fixed sights? I find the prices very interesting. I change them over to Canadian dollars for fun and see $650.00 equates to $850.00 to $900.00, while $525.00 is close to $700.00 to $750.00. I see these for sale here at much lower prices. Such is life when we live in a Liberal country!! Sad but true. Enjoy your freedoms.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Fixed sights 5.5" are $1500. Or close. I wish I had bought one , or two, when they first came out. I can't believe Ruger still does not catalog these.

skeeter

Single-Sixer
I have 2 fixed sight 5.5 blued unfired old armies that I can't get any interest in. I've posted them on here a couple times. Timing seems to be everything.

chet15

Hawkeye
There was a small cleanup run of less than 200 guns two or three years ago.
All were built with the short loading lever (like goes on the 5-1/2"), even the 7-1/2" examples.
I think there were five different cleanup models, and all with a 147- prefix serial number.
Chet15

Rclark

Hunter
I have 2 fixed sight 5.5 blued unfired old armies that I can't get any interest in. I've posted them on here a couple times. Timing seems to be everything.
I never saw them. And it wasn't that long ago (a few months back now) I was 'looking' :) . Some one mentioned they had one LNIB and I picked it up. Shoots well and to POA.... But I have one small problem... The front grip frame screw is frozen in place... Grrrr. Now buggered, so will replace if and when I can get it 'unstuck'.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Rclark said:
I never saw them. And it wasn't that long ago (a few months back now) I was 'looking' :) . Some one mentioned they had one LNIB and I picked it up. Shoots well and to POA.... But I have one small problem... The front grip frame screw is frozen in place... Grrrr. Now buggered, so will replace if and when I can get it 'unstuck'.
Good luck on getting screw out. Anti-seize is a must with black powder arms.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Kroil Oil has been excellent for breaking free screws and stuck anything.
Let it soak. Vibrate as much as possible and resoak.

Works good.

Prescut

bogus bill

Hunter
I bought the first old army I found when they came out in the early 1970`s. I cant resist showing this picture of me showing it to a couple buddy's I was camping with almost 50 years ago. The guys are both dead now. We worked together. Bill the guy looking at it, wife took the picture. "Red" was sick and ran for the campground outhouse right after Judy snapped the picture. Later Bill went to the outhouse and said there was poop in a semi circle on the walls! I still crack up every time I look at this picture! Maybe "spirt`s" were involved.
https://i.postimg.cc/yxq0WpK6/Red-Becker-Bill-Sandifer-me.jpg

edlmann

Blackhawk
bogus bill said:
I bought the first old army I found when they came out in the early 1970`s. I cant resist showing this picture of me showing it to a couple buddy's I was camping with almost 50 years ago. The guys are both dead now. We worked together. Bill the guy looking at it, wife took the picture. "Red" was sick and ran for the campground outhouse right after Judy snapped the picture. Later Bill went to the outhouse and said there was poop in a semi circle on the walls! I still crack up every time I look at this picture! Maybe "spirt`s" were involved.
Red-Becker-Bill-Sandifer-me.jpg
Fixed yer pic