180 Grain Hard Cast in GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

one bullet

Single-Sixer
WAYNO said:
Bear Paw Jack said:
I agree with Heliman. I've got 3 of them. They are well made and very handy.

And I agree with BPJ and Heliman. :mrgreen:

Also a fan of the Federal Cast Core 180 grain .357 . 8)
I really wish I could find that Federal 180 grain cast. That's my true first choice but I can't find it!

Good round, but this is just as good, maybe better. I went on Federal ammo web sight and don't find the cast core in 357 mag. For a long time, I haven't found the cast core in 44 mag, even though I've got some older product. I don't know if they have taken it out of the line for some period of time. What I like about the cast core is it works pretty well through a lever gun. The shape isn't really necessary in a revolver. I would try Buffalo Bore, HSM, or Grizzly. See which one shoots best for you. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1000772483

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=162

GhosT

Blackhawk
one bullet
Ever heard of Bob Milek ?
GUNS AND AMMO magazine..
Famous handgun hunter.

read countless articles of his.....one stood out...from the 80's
His colt python loaded with hard cast bullets vs a charging black bear from 35 yards out.
Short version........ aimed for the chest round one.
no effect.

rounds 2,3, and 4 hit both clavicle bones,drilled through them,,not enough bullet mass to shatter the bone.

At 5 feet away,still at full speed round 5

He used the word ''SNOUT''
He fired a hard cast bullet in its nose that the skull guided to its brain!

Understand, this man pioneered handgun hunting.....look him up.

He finished this article saying...he will never be under gunned again.
He swore to carry a Ruger blackhawk 45 long colt loaded to 44 magnum power level.

As I own both a GP100 and a scoped Ruger Super Redhawk....my choice would be harder.

YOU OWN A.44 MAGNUM REDHAWK...seems like a good choice to me.

BTW---If ya wanna round that will drill completely through a bear.....
GARRET 330 GRAIN HAMMERHEAD bullets.
Not cheap,but have drilled through elephant skulls.

GhosT said:
one bullet
Ever heard of Bob Milek ?
GUNS AND AMMO magazine..
Famous handgun hunter.

read countless articles of his.....one stood out...from the 80's
His colt python loaded with hard cast bullets vs a charging black bear from 35 yards out.
Short version........ aimed for the chest round one.
no effect.

rounds 2,3, and 4 hit both clavicle bones,drilled through them,,not enough bullet mass to shatter the bone.

At 5 feet away,still at full speed round 5

He used the word ''SNOUT''
He fired a hard cast bullet in its nose that the skull guided to its brain!

Understand, this man pioneered handgun hunting.....look him up.

He finished this article saying...he will never be under gunned again.
He swore to carry a Ruger blackhawk 45 long colt loaded to 44 magnum power level.

As I own both a GP100 and a scoped Ruger Super Redhawk....my choice would be harder.

YOU OWN A.44 MAGNUM REDHAWK...seems like a good choice to me.

^^^^I agree completely^^^^

You mentioned a Glock.
I'd rather have 16 rounds of 200 grain "heavy" loads from
Underwood, or others, vs. six rounds of 180 grain. in the .357.
Lot more holes in Mr. Bear before the gun runs empty, there won't be a reload!
Dave

one bullet

Single-Sixer
If it wasn't for buying an aftermarket barrel The Glock 20 would get the nod. As much as I like the GP, the 15 rounds of 10mm hard cast would work best, and weighs much less than my Redhawk. I carried a Glock 21 for work and it was no big deal at all, and they are the same size. Even concealed it. While I know the 44 mag is the best choice as far as the round goes I would need to practice and get proficient with it. Not sure I would shoot it that well.

Right now I'm still leaning toward my GP with the Glock coming in second. A long gun just won't work for me unless one's trying to come in. 870 with slugs in that case. And that has happened here. Believe it or not, a typical cartoon situation where a lady baked some pies and left her windows open. The bear came in, ate the pies, tracked pie filling everywhere, then left! :D

I'm not afraid of the bears around here. I am cautious when out early with my dog. I know they are very rarely aggressive and usually easy to scare off. I do think it wise to be armed to some degree though. I know there are worst case scenarios, and in that case I would wish I had something bigger. Until I come to a final decision, as soon as I find some 180 grain hard cast, I will probably go with the GP. Nobody around here has 180 grain hard cast 357. They have hollow points but no hard cast. Online prices are typical but shipping cost is plain stupid! Until then, 40 caliber gold dots out of a Glock 22!

I have shot plenty of "lead" through various Glocks with no
issues. Maybe you might need to clean them a little more
often. I'd have no issue shooting hard cast bullets, even less
for some of the coated ones. It's not like you're going to put
thousands of rounds of the stuff through it.
Dave