Nickel Bearcat

Help Support Ruger Forum:

youngoutdoors

Bearcat
Were there any Bearcats made that were nickel plated from the factory? IF so how rare are they? Got a friend that said he had one still in the box unfired and I don't remember them.

Thanks and God Bless, Louis

contender

Ruger Guru
Quite often nickle plated guns appear, and not just in the Bearcat.
But,, no factory production nickle plated Bearcats were ever done. Not even a listing of any prototypes.

Nickle plating used to be a process that was used to help prevent blued guns from rusting,,, or just because some folks liked the look. Still done today occasionally. We used to have a member (RIP) who was known as "The Sultan Of Shine" because he had several guns nickle plated & even displayed them.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Stainless steel can never come close to matching the beauty of an aging nickle plated revolver. Nickle gets that brassy look over time that stainless can never hope to obtain. An older nickle plated revolver, Colt or Smith, or whatever, with ivory grips............well no gun except maybe a blue/case hardened revolver, can come close to matching for character. Stainless steel revolvers have all the character they will ever have when they come off the production line, which is little to none.

That's my opinion.

Bob Wright

Yes, there are some out there, never know when or where they may pop up...this one I got for my wife many years ago, think it was from Jussbad , maybe came from Dan M. , the "Sultan of Shine" ( may he rest in peace) she loves it and never did ask for a letter or any of that as we are certain it is NOT "factory"...just NEAT.......

ExTU8ZKm.jpg

Armybrat

Buckeye
Bob Wright said:
Stainless steel can never come close to matching the beauty of an aging nickle plated revolver. Nickle gets that brassy look over time that stainless can never hope to obtain. An older nickle plated revolver, Colt or Smith, or whatever, with ivory grips............well no gun except maybe a blue/case hardened revolver, can come close to matching for character. Stainless steel revolvers have all the character they will ever have when they come off the production line, which is little to none.

That's my opinion.

Bob Wright
Agreed.
My glossy stainless NV finish doesn't come close to the beauty of the deeply rich clarity of a nickel plated SAA.

youngoutdoors

Bearcat
The odd thing is he says he bought it new. He has several guns that he bought new that are in the boxes with the paperwork with them. At least he says so; I haven't go to look at them yet. SO if Ruger didn't produce any Nickel plated ones how did this one get in the store back in the 70's. And it may not be but just going by what the gentleman says.

Dan, That is just beautiful!

Thanks guys, Louis

Just because it was so called Bought new" at some dealer, who knows where or when the dealer got it and how they offered it up for sale...could have been on consignment, a special order, we used to get guns in the shop and if too many of them looked alike or the same, we made changes, added grips or sights or whatever it took to "make the sale",,,this being said back then there was a "plating company" across the street and down for the factory and who knows maybe someone special ordered "after the fact" ( original build) and desired plating, no problem to sent it out get it done,,,same for grips, if the customer wanted stags or something who knows how far the factory ( or Mr Ruger) bent over to please them...he sure did for his friends and writers.......and thats the Gospel, NOT Ruger Lore....yes , a letter may help BUT for anything custom or special order I doubt it....if only the guns could actually talk, not "bark" or go bang....... 8) :roll: :wink:

Strange things get reported as fact, but don't hold up under close examination.

I have a close friend (yes, really) who called me a while back and told me that one of his neighbors had one of the two little prototype single-shot pistols that preceded the development of the Single-Six. I said "Have you seen it?" He replied "No." I asked if we could possibly get to see it, and he said he'd ask. Got "No!" for an answer. The neighbor would never again mention the gun or respond to inquiries about it. Am I surprised? Not so much. :wink:

So . . . who's blowing smoke, my friend or his neighbor? I trust my friend, but who knows? :?

goboom

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
Yes, there are some out there, never know when or where they may pop up...this one I got for my wife many years ago, think it was from Jussbad , maybe came from Dan M. , the "Sultan of Shine" ( may he rest in peace) she loves it and never did ask for a letter or any of that as we are certain it is NOT "factory"...just NEAT.......

ExTU8ZKm.jpg

That's a beauty! I was wondering if the nose of the base pin is flat or rounded on your nickel Super Bearcat?

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
Something I read once and it has stuck with me on this Ruger Adventure...."Buy The Gun, Not The Story".
While The Story is, interesting and fun, it is The Gun that will tell, The Truth.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Plenty of stores might have sent a few out and had them plated, then sold them "new". I remember a single shot unmarked prototype of a single six showing up on GunBroker once. After looking at detailed pictures most "experts" said it definitely did not come from Ruger's toolroom.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Yup, similar 'story' was given to my son that aroused my curiosity and son bought the gun for me because after seeing it I liked the gun, never mind the story. Story goes, gun is an old model Super Blackhawk, high polish stainless in .45 Colt. My mind said "NO it ain't!" but I sure liked the combination. Truth is, It was an Old Model Blackhawk that someone added a Super grip frame, hammer and trigger and dipped the whole thing in chrome!! Dang, it's purty!! Guess which of is my sons favorite Blackhawk of all that I have......well excluding the Gallagher guns!! :mrgreen: