Is It Just Me?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
Or does anyone else dislike the current Ruger fads on SP models to taper the front of all the cylinders and the wasp waisted grips on the single actions? Several versions I'd like to buy but don't because of these features. Yeah, grips can be changed but not cylinders....

MI-shooter

ADP3

Single-Sixer
I'm in agreement with you on both configurations. The grips are just annoying, but at least you can replace the plywood ones easily. The tapered cylinder made its appearance on the Wiley Clapp SP101's and for some unknown reason is still in production. I refuse to buy any SP101 with the silly taper. It serves no purpose. Some marketing guru put out the claim that it's for easier holstering but any decent holster does not require the bogus taper.

Best Regards,
ADP3

trapperon

Blackhawk
I am not a fan of the SP tapered cylinder either. just throws the lines off, and looks odd. Its strange as it seems this would add cost to production as well. I hope it doesnt transition to any of the other revolver lines!

Ron

Sugar River

Buckeye
I never noticed the Cylinder taper before, but now that I've looked at them I kinda like it.
Looks like some GP models also have the taper.

Armybrat

Buckeye
My 3" SP101 in .327 Magnum has the tapered cylinder. Not a fan of its look, and am skeptical about shaving metal off for such a high pressure round.

It hasn't blowed up on me yet though, even using Federal AE 100 grain jsp. 8)

woodsy

Blackhawk
I'm sure that Ruger has factored-in any strength-related issues with the cylinder. As far as a holster is concerned I can only applaud their attempt to make it easier to draw. The fewer sharp edges the better.

My 9mm SP101 is "fixed up" that way and I think it looks like a boob with a belt sander attacked it. And my SP101 frame is covered with gouges from being "polished" with something like 80 grit sand paper. Really amateurish work from the factory.

If they want to make it easy to holster they could do a "black powder chamfer" on the front of the cylinder. At least it would look like the guy who worked on it had a clue.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
MIshooter said:
Or does anyone else dislike the current Ruger fads on SP models to taper the front of all the cylinders and the wasp waisted grips on the single actions? Several versions I'd like to buy but don't because of these features. Yeah, grips can be changed but not cylinders....

MI-shooter

Hopefully, someone at Ruger will read your objection, along with others, and restore a straight cylinder. The taper may well encourage to revolver to fall out of the holster and, just as bad, direct SIDEBLAST back to the shooter's face. By any measure the taper is ugly, and shall not be seen on a gun I own.
David Bradshaw

falrifles

Bearcat
I don't like the tapered cylinders either. It makes the flutes in the cylinder look like a hemorrhoid suppository. The whole look is not traditional. Revolvers are a traditional handgun design.

The LCR revolver series has used modern design and that's fine. Leave the traditional steel and wood revolvers traditional. I like the black powder bevel. It would accomplish the same mission and look more aesthetically pleasing.