Not a Bullseye Shooter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LAH

Buckeye
How are you eyes these days? Over the last 3 months mine have went down hill. Time to visit the eye doc.

https://youtu.be/NKj9Uws5LSw

It's called getting old. I switched to ghost ring sights on most of my handguns. You'll never get the same accuracy, but you sure can pick them up a lot faster. That's kind of important sometimes.

Seriously thinking of moving to some of the small red dots. Getting old sucks but it beats the alternative.

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
If there is a rapid change in your eyesight you should get your blood sugar checked. It could be an indication of diabetes.

LAH

Buckeye
Been shooting my K-38 & can focus much better with it but the width of the rear sight gap is much wider thanks to a handy file which allows much more light on each side of the front sight.

LAH

Buckeye
bogus bill said:
With me the bigger problem is "the shakes".

You can see some of my shakes in differ videos. Wonder sometimes how I hit anything.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Anyone here shoot with progressive glasses? They seem to work pretty well for me.

Montelores

Buckeye
I have been using progressive glasses lately.

I've found that I need to tilt my head back just a bit to clearly have focus on the front sight, which is a tiny bit awkward.

They also require straight-ahead viewing, which complicates things slightly.

But, they have improved my viewing.

I sometimes poke a small "aperture" in a sticker and place it on my uncorrected protective shooting glasses. That increases the depth-of-field, allowing sights and target to be more in focus together, similarly to a rear-sight aperture on a rifle.

I should probably invest in something like this:

https://www.seebettershootbetter.com

https://www.gunblast.com/MeritOptical.htm

Monty

LAH said:
How are you eyes these days? Over the last 3 months mine have went down hill. Time to visit the eye doc.

https://youtu.be/NKj9Uws5LSw

You need to go see an Endocrinologist ASAP and have your A1c checked. If it's really high, like 9 or above you have some serious issues. Get to the drug store and start checking your blood sugars. Normal range is 80-120. Cut back on your sweets and carbs and get serious. IF you lose your sight to diabetes, that's the end of it. It's very serious.

Snake45 said:
Anyone here shoot with progressive glasses? They seem to work pretty well for me.

Yes! I find them to work pretty good. Go lineless! Last week I had a tremendous day at the range. I shot better than I have in years.....

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=286983

OR, it was just blind luck.. :lol:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Progressives usually don't work for shooting because as someone else stated you have to tilt your head back to get the reading part to see your sights good. If so you can tell your eye doctor you need to move that part of the prescription up a bit in the lens. Often what are called computer glasses these days. I can tilt my head back a little for handguns but no way can I see the sights on a rifle with a correct cheek weld. Peep sights work ok but the rear ring is super fuzzy. Proper shooting glasses would help but are a bit expensive. Scopes of course are the ultimate solution and work fine.

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
Good Day,
I'm gonna take a different tack, I've found that spending too much time in front of a computer screen degrades my middle - distance vision. This has a large effect on my ability to see my hand gun sights.
Best,
Rob

Flyfisher66048

Bearcat
I had my Glock slide milled for an RMR red dot sight, and added suppressor heights that cowitness with the dot. Makes a huge difference for folks with old guy eyes.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I'm 74 now and have used either cheaters or prescription glasses since I was 50. I flew for the airlines for my career and the problem with any glasses is that there are 3 areas I needed in focus: the instrument panel (roughly the same distance as the front sight on a 6" revolver with a Weaver, two-handed hold), the overhead panel with switches, gages et. all., and the maps and printed approach plates, which are carried off to one side on the ledge of the side windows.

The answer for me was progressive lenses...with the correction ground in a bit higher than most non-pilots like it. This same correction/focusing grind works equally well for computer work, but does take some getting used to. In use, with handguns, I need to tilt my head very slightly, to the rear, allowing the front sight to come into sharp focus. This slight tilt of the head is automatic and will come for you after a week or two. I don't even realize I'm doing it anymore.

For rifle use, the same works fairly well but doesn't allow a full cheek weld as one previous poster pointed out. In my case, my vision hasn't been so bad to need tri-focals, where the extreme upper part of the lens is ground for close in vision....seems like this would be a major pain in the patoot.

I still shoot iron sights with most of my lever guns, and have found that a receiver or tang mounted peep sight gives me good clarity with the front sight. The peep allowing both the target and front sight to be in focus at the same time due to its increased depth of field effect.

Lastly, for the first few years of flying after my eyes went south, I used Walmart cheaters: 1.25 then later1.5x sizes with complete success, both in shooting as well as in the cockpit. For shooting I used the larger diameter lens sizes to give my eyes some add'l protection in case of a punctured primer, but for flying, I used the half size, "granny" glasses, letting them slide down my nose to allow distance vision through the front acft windows. I can still use just cheaters for shooting handguns, but generally just keep my regular prescription glasses on as I have a correction for both near and far vision.

In my 60's I was still shooting NRA Hi-Power with a tuned AR-15 out to 600 yds, and found that 1.5x cheaters still allowed me to shoot to my ability to hold. The rear peep giving me just enough target clarity for a good, 6 o'clock hold on the bull. In my case, the 1.25x size was the limit on this type of long range sighting. I now need 1.75x and haven't tried to shoot over the course in over ten years and doubt that I'd be successful...hell, just getting down into prone (and getting back up!) for those 20 shots slow fire would be a challenge.

Were I you, I'd try the cheaters for awhile. Their correction, the smallest that you can get away with to bring the front sight into focus, forces you to concentrate on the front sight. You can check this at the store without bringing your pistolas in by pointing with your index finger extended and concentrating til you can see the nail in complete focus. You'll look a bit odd, but then most folks in our Walmart do too...especially on Friday nights.

Best regards, HTH's Rod

LAH

Buckeye
I'm growing cataract & know the last 6 months my ability to focus the front sight has gone down hill. I also have a large floater causing a trip to the ER thinking a detached retina was close to happening. The MRI said I was okay. I saw the eye doc Tuesday & go back in 2 weeks.

My a1c is at the bottom of the range & is checked bi annual. No sugar problem.

silverback

Blackhawk
Yep getting old bites the big one
Tri focal glasses and the shakes are big issues to deal with. The shakes are the worst for me. Trying to break a decent shot with a hand gun is a challenge. Ridley is still good to go using peep sight