Not a Bullseye Shooter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I have been reading this with interest. Here is what I did and it works. I had my wife measure from my eye to the front sight on my Martini Henry and Snider rifles that I shoot constantly. The front sight is the one you want crystal clear. If the rear or the target are a bit fuzzy that is OK. I then went to my optometrist with that measurement and he made me a set of glasses with lenses that give me a perfect focus on the front sight. Then I added a Merit peep sight with adjustable aperture which has a suction cup for the lense. Like magic! Now, both front and rear are clear and my shooting improved greatly. The same glasses also work for my handguns.

btmonnat

Single-Sixer
I am 63 and have never been great with open sights on pistols. My own fault because never practiced much. Shooting more than I used to only because I am retired and really getting into it.i have switched to red dots on all of my hand go s but my concealed carry guns. 3 Burris fastfire and 1 vortex venom. They work great for me with my ageing eyes and dealing with bi focals

btmonnat

Single-Sixer
Forgot to mention I also put the fastfire 3 on my mini 14. Really loving that because they are not a long range , accurate weapon anyway and you want to see fast target acquisition. You got it with that set up.

Montelores said:
I have been using progressive glasses lately.

I've found that I need to tilt my head back just a bit to clearly have focus on the front sight, which is a tiny bit awkward.

They also require straight-ahead viewing, which complicates things slightly.

But, they have improved my viewing.

I sometimes poke a small "aperture" in a sticker and place it on my uncorrected protective shooting glasses. That increases the depth-of-field, allowing sights and target to be more in focus together, similarly to a rear-sight aperture on a rifle.

I should probably invest in something like this:

https://www.seebettershootbetter.com

https://www.gunblast.com/MeritOptical.htm

Monty
I use progressive lens and use a EAR ear plug rolled and inserted between the bridge of my nose and my glasses. Raises the glasses just enough to stop the 'head tilting'.