Did you ever find a gun you thought you sold??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Last fall I was rummaging around in the hall coat closet looking for something (forget what it was now) and lo and behold I found a Boyd's handgun case. Hmmmmm.... :? I picked it up.... hey, its heavy! :eek: Must be somethin' in it. :) But what??? Hmmmm... I'm racking my brain trying to figure out where this came from and why is it in the closet instead of the safe??? :? So, I slowly zip open the case..... see a flash of stainless steel.... BEHOLD.... its an SP-101 4" barrel, 22LR!!! :D

I thought I had sold this revolver years ago for some reason. I was ecstatic to find that I still had it!!!! As I really thought I'd sold it and then regretted it.

Thinking back on it.... I remembered I'd taken it out to shoot it at my daughter's place (outside of town). Got home and wife had informed me we were to meet some friends for supper (I'd thought this was to be the next week). So I hurried and showered and got dressed and out to the Trailblazer and then remembered the gun.... so I hurried in the house and just stuffed it in the closet quick intending later to put it back in the safe.

Out of sight, out of mind. I'd forgotten it all these years. :oops:

Has anything like this happened to any of you guys?? 8)

bogus bill

Hunter
Nope! But it reminds me of my dad. He had alzheimer`s and he, the auctioneer and I were going through his small farm getting ready for the auction as he was going to assisted living. The auctioneer pointed out a old garden tiller and asked is it to be sold? Dad said no, it`s to go to whoever buys the house. Then the auctioneer turned around and spotted a almost new tiller. Well then this one go`s? Dad squinted his eyes and said he never seen that tiller before!

I went to the gun range one Sunday. Outdoor range... I was the only one there. On the bench next to me was an AR15. Someone had left it FROM THE DAY BEFORE! No case, nothing, just the rifle. I took it home and got in touch with the range master and drove it over to his place, on Monday. Even by Monday afternoon, nobody had claimed it.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Kevin said:
I went to the gun range one Sunday. Outdoor range... I was the only one there. On the bench next to me was an AR15. Someone had left it FROM THE DAY BEFORE! No case, nothing, just the rifle. I took it home and got in touch with the range master and drove it over to his place, on Monday. Even by Monday afternoon, nobody had claimed it.

Kevin, Had that happen to me once. Went to the range and laying on the bench was a fancy tricked out Wilson 1911. I did my shooting, no one showed up. So took it home and called the club grounds keeper. Took it too him the next day after work. Found out later that the owner finally missed it a week later and practically had a heart attack looking for it.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
bogus bill said:
Nope! But it reminds me of my dad. He had alzheimer`s and he, the auctioneer and I were going through his small farm getting ready for the auction as he was going to assisted living. The auctioneer pointed out a old garden tiller and asked is it to be sold? Dad said no, it`s to go to whoever buys the house. Then the auctioneer turned around and spotted a almost new tiller. Well then this one go`s? Dad squinted his eyes and said he never seen that tiller before!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hittman

Staff member
Sold? No.

But .... in my boredom I decided to take everything out of the safe for a good cleaning. Forgot about a new in box with shipper 4 inch stainless LOW back Security Six. A pleasant surprise to see that one again.

bogus bill

Hunter
Back in the 1970`s my captain/friend knew I was going to have a table at a gunshow. He sent a Winchester M-1 carbine in its wood case with all accessory`s along for me to sell. He wanted almost double for what it was worth at the time. I had a old girl friend that lived near the show so I packed it in saturday evening as I wasn't going to do the show sunday. I went to the girl friends house and it was like 08;00 sunday when I got home. Unloaded my truck, Boss man`s carbine wasn't there! I called the show promoter, he said it wasn't on the table I had! I decided to do the 200 mile round trip to check myself. I had already decided to give my friend full pop and say it sold and eat it. I went back to the fairground and the crate and gun was under the empty table!! The guy at the next table said he seen the crate but didn't think anything of it! I never told what happened to my captain.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
hittman said:
Sold? No.

But .... in my boredom I decided to take everything out of the safe for a good cleaning. Forgot about a new in box with shipper 4 inch stainless LOW back Security Six. A pleasant surprise to see that one again.

That better yet!!! 8)

BlkHawk73

Hunter
A few times. Just a couple weeks ago I move a box I'd yet to unpack from a recent move and thought "huh, that's heavy". Open to check and 6 handguns resting inside. Huh, forgot I had those.

RSIno1

Hunter
I have a 1897 Winchester 18" pump 12ga somewhere. I took it all apart, sand blasted it and had a friend parkerize everything. Got it back and put it away until I had time to put it back together. In the mean time (1977) we moved. I'm pretty sure it's in a box up in the garage. Maybe I'll find it when we move again.

This is amusing until you wonder if any of those guns could have been loaded and who might have found them before you did. Along with the chuckles, there's some nightmare material here, too. I've had some of those nightmares over the years, and also, in my waking hours, found several other people's "forgotten" guns. At least two of them were loaded, one probably last in about 1945 (Spreewerk P-38). Many had been "stored" with live ammo.

Okay, okay, so I'm a sour, really old man who spooks at the mere mention of Alzheimer's....

I also gotta confess that I'm a little jealous--never had the $$$ to have enough guns to lose track of any!

contender

Ruger Guru
How about the reverse?

I had a Ruger Blackhawk Bicentennial 45 Colt many, many years ago. I haven't seen it in decades,, & every time I went to look for it,, it was gone. That was back in the days when I'd sell & swap a few around. I just do not remember swapping it or selling it. Well, maybe,, but I couldn't tell you who I traded or sold it to.

bogus bill

Hunter
Saw a cartoon. Showed two guys loading up to go in the woods deer hunting. One guy is looking perplexed at his rifle that had a string and cork hanging out of the barrel and saying, but, but junior took this to the church picnic this morning!

saltydog

Bearcat
I had a 150th John Browning birthday 1885 Low Wall rifle that I thought I traded several years ago. Was cleaning out a closet about a year ago and there was a rifle box. It had the 1885 in it. I swore that it had been traded, but evidently not. :)

Funny how memory and the mind works. I have found stuff I forgot I had and on the other hand I looked for stuff that I never found. Sometimes I throw my hands up and
decide it will turn up, fact is it usually does. ps

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Had a beautiful stainless model 60 Smith and Wesson I thought got stolen at a gun show. Found it months later in the door pocket of my old pickup. I was quite glad to see it!

You guys are going to embarrass me. One was a gun I thought was stolen at a gun show. I called the show to see if anyone had found it, then I called the police to make a report. Turns out I had just put it in a different zipper case.

Another was a Ruger Bearcat I bought in Alaska. It was a unique gun and I looked for it for several months.....before I found it.

I was doing an inventory (which happens way to seldom) and sent my son up stairs for something. He was moving some things around and said, "hey dad what's this?" I said what's it look like. Turned out it was a model 66 Smith still in the box that I'd "hid" till I got a chance to put it on the inventory list. My memory certainly isn't what it used to be.

I have found a couple guns fairly recently that I didn't remember I owned.

Apparently I'm in good company.

Just a few days ago, a friend called me to ask which AR he should buy. And of course I suggested the basic Colt 6920. He knew what model that was, and agreed it should be an okay choice. And he called me the very next day. He said he was rummaging thru his stash, and saw a Colt box. Looking closer, it said 6920 on the end flap. He opened the box and discovered a brand new rifle. He had no idea he had it. Apparently back in the day, he used to buy a gun at every gun show. And back then, we had a lot of gun shows.

My Son & I have been laughing about this thread for a while & relating to it!
My story only one of late was I was looking for one of my 375 H&H rifles that I would keep in a certain safe with the big bore rifles & I pulled the 375 H&H out I noticed a No.1 next to it shocked I pulled it out next to look it over. Dang it was a 22-250 4 digit with amazing wood! I started laughing at myself I totally forgot I purchased that from a gun show in Ogden Utah about 5 years ago.
You are right Marlin the old mind is not what it use to be....