30 carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xtratoy

Buckeye
This is from a local gun forum. The guy has a 30 carbine for sale. "This is my third Blackhawk 30 Carbine. l wore out the first two. Bought this one new a couple of years ago. Found a distributor had on the shelf for years. l have only shot 50 rounds threw it." I have sent him a message asking how many rounds it took and what wore out on them. What do you think I would take to wear one out?

hittman

Staff member
Those guns die only from abuse or neglect. They don't get "worn out".

ADP3

Single-Sixer
The only thing I can think is that the owner never properly cleaned the bore and removed the copper fouling from jacketed bullets. With enough build-up it can look like the rifling is worn out. When I worked at a gun shop we had quite a few guns come in for trade that were "worn out" or "wouldn't shoot" anymore. We used an Outers Foul Out electrochemical rig on the bores and overnight they were spotless. No one ever "complained that we'd sold them a used gun that "wouldn't shoot". So unless this guy stumbled up on 150,000+ rounds of GI ball ammo copper fouling is my best guess, but again it's only a guess.

Best Regards,
ADP3

xtratoy said:
This is from a local gun forum. The guy has a 30 carbine for sale. "This is my third Blackhawk 30 Carbine. l wore out the first two. Bought this one new a couple of years ago. Found a distributor had on the shelf for years. l have only shot 50 rounds threw it." I have sent him a message asking how many rounds it took and what wore out on them. What do you think I would take to wear one out?

That is just what he told his wife. Honey, I need another, I wore the first two plum out.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Probably wore out the wooden dowel he used to tap out the stuck cartridge case that seems to happen with every 30 Carbine BH - at least every one I've ever owned.

I switched to aluminum - too much fun shooting them to give up. :)

xtratoy

Buckeye
Got his answer back. He gave no info on round count. "They were spitting lead out sideways". He might have been a fan of fanning. Heard back again and he says he didn't fan the guns. "They just wore out".

I dunno about the .30 Carbine versions, but I have a friend who used to shoot pistol silhouette with a 7-1/2" .357 Maximum Blackhawk, and with his admittedly silly-hot loads the gun developed such end play due to wear at both ends of the cylinder that the gun was essentially "worn out". It can be done, but you have to work at it. I suppose you could consider his loading practices as abuse. :roll:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't buy anything from that seller..... just sayin'
IMHO of course,
J

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
Never had any problems with my OM .30, but I had a OM.41 that WOULD NOT like any jacketed bullets I tried to feed it with any load data. Easy fix, I just give it a full lead diet now.

Ask Bob Wright about wearing out Blackhawks...

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I was excited to give a .30 carbine Blackhawk a try until I found out it had one chamber cut too deep so it always misfired on that chamber. Sold it to a guy cheap to rechamber to 32-20.

gunzo

Hunter
Common guys, BH's are as tough as most pistols made. But anything, everything can be used but not abused & get to the point of being just flat worn out.

I've not seen the 2 in question, but have seen at least 2 that were really not worth rebuilding.

If it was something no longer available you spend what you have too. Otherwise, get a fresh one.