Current Production Blackhawk Quality

Help Support Ruger Forum:

geo57

Single-Sixer
I am strongly considering adding a new, current production Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I welcome opinions and especially first hand experiences here from those handling them. Reading reviews from other sites & from buyer's have been spotty but in general don't give a percentage breakdown of the ones with issues. Some bemoan current quality control but has that been your take overall ?

Among the new ones now ( Last year or so of production ) that you have seen have they had canted sights, issues that affect action smoothness, lockup , timing, buggered ratchets or any other significant mechanical or cosmetic issue ? Do throats diameters seem to be more in line of what is desirable now than in years past ? Or do the vast majority you've seen are just fine ?

I thank you in advance.

BearBio

Buckeye
Can't help you. All of mine (except my 1976 "200 Years Super Blackhawk" and 2 Single Sixes) are OMs. I also have a NM Super from Reeder in 454. The NM I have had are all older productions.

For what it is worth, I think the quality is so much better, it is worth the money to buy OMs. I have an unconverted 45/45acp in 4 5/8" that is my woods gun in the PNW.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
They are good quality, I've had no issues with the ones I have, some of the 45 cylinders do need some honing, which you can do yourself, or there are a few members her that do a fine job with that, I bought a new vaquero in 45 colt that seems to have perfect throats, didn't need anything, it's totally stock and shoots great, personally I don't the you could go wrong with a new model

rmc25

Single-Sixer
Stopped by to talk to my smith just before Christmas. He was explaining to a customer that the new Blackhawk the customer just bought had to be sent back to the factory. Barrel canted, out of time and something else that I've forgotten. He said that there was so much wrong that he should demand a replacement rather than a repair. Makes me glad that except for my maximums, a 4 digit new Flattop, and my 40S&W Vaquero all my Rugers are OMs.

I've plenty of Old Models as well as New Models.

My OM's are gorgeous and wonderful, but seldom leave the safe, while the NM's are used extensively.

I am mostly very well pleased with my New Models. 8)

Yes, I've had a few quality issues which I've corrected myself, or Ruger has quickly repaired, but the percentage of NM's with issues is extremely small. It only seems like a lot when you happen to have one.

I think the NM's are an excellent product and I expect to keep buying more.

I have a 45 Colt New Model; it's 3 years old. I haven't had any issues with it and I did buy it brand new. I believe its a Williams distributor exclusive. The Stainless with the 7 1/2 inch barrel. I think any new model you will pick up, if it has those ugly orange laminated grips, they won't fit well at all. I swapped them out for a set of Grashorn Elk Stag Grips. I have about a 1000 rounds through it, not that many. But the trigger has mellowed out very nicely. I wouldn't call it exceptional, but it's not gritty or rough. Oh the positive side, it's smooth enough to not cause any problems.

But to answer your questions, no canted barrel or sights, I've not measured the cylinder throats, but the gun shoots and is pleasantly accurate. I just had it out today.

MPyNcQjl.jpg

I kind of wished I'd bought a blued model. The stainless is nice, but the finish isn't as nice as my late 1990's Mark II or my New Model Vaquero from 2007. I might take a green scotch brite pad to it and smooth it out some.

I understand what everyone is saying about the OM Blackhawks, but there is just something about firing the first shot out of a brand new gun. And the New Models are really good quality.

chywjjZl.jpg

hittman

Staff member
If you have ANY questions or concerns about the new models (which now carry a MSRP nearing $700.00) why not just buy an OM?

geo57

Single-Sixer
I appreciate the reports on both the positives and negatives on these very late production Blackhawks. Kevin, gorgeous piece you have. Hitman, for several reasons I do not want an OM. And if I buy a new one I won't have anywhere near the MSRP in it total from my source who I'll be working with again.

Regards.

trapperon

Blackhawk
geo57

I recommend you proceed as planned with the new 45 colt Blackhawk. In my opinion, quality seems better to me now than about 10 years ago or so..If it is something you have to order and purchase sight unseen just know any issue can easily be resolved. Ideally if you could handle the one you were potentially going to buy that would be the best scenario. It seems if one does have a problem, specifically with the 45 it is usually undersized cylinder throats, or the need for a taller front sight.
I think it is the same gamble with any new handgun you have no history on. Just need to take the risk and buy it, shoot it, then do what you have to do to make it shoot to your specs!
Let us know what you pick out! Barrel length, finish, convertible etc!

Ron

dakota1911

Buckeye
Not 100% on target but I was comparing my 357 Blackhawk (top) I bought new in 1976 with my new 2017 Blackhawk in 10mm/40S&W. It looks to me like at least a little more time was put into these in the old days finishing the metal of some small parts.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Kevin said:
I bought my 45 in the picture new from Acrytlink ( sorry, it isn't spelt right) here in the classifieds for something right around $500.
I bought 2 of those @ $500. 4 5/8" and 7.5". I scoped the 7.5". Very accurate. Then, I had a friend want to buy the 4 .625". But Mike cannot get anymore at $500. What a bargain! Kevin, those grips look super on your .45. Good job.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I bought a brand new Blackhawk last year and it has been just fine. Zero issues so far and I shoot it pretty regularly. You rarely hear about the good ones because there's nothing to talk about.

contender

Ruger Guru
"You rarely hear about the good ones because there's nothing to talk about."

^^^^^^^^^This!^^^^^^^^^^^

We often hear complaints about issues with new guns, the lack of quality control, etc. Many folks feel they should get a NIB gun w/o any flaws,, fitted like a swiss watch, dead nuts accurate, at a price of a bargain basement sale.
Top quality,, such as Freedom Arms,, costs money to have each gun carefully built & assembled to be what many seem to want. Yet,, they do not want to pay what it costs for such work, thinking it's easy to get that kind of quality. They basically want FA quality at a Rossi price.
That said,, considering the quantity of firearms built & sold by Ruger,, and how the manufacturing process now works, (as compared to the OM's in the "the good old days,) the new models now built are still quite a bargain. Ruger,, as well as ALL of the big makers now use firearm assemblers,, in a fast production facility. NOT gunsmiths. And many of these assemblers are not even gun folks,, just hourly employees,, working for wages & benefits. Production numbers are required,, and as such,, we get to hear about the issues some have with a new firearm,, no matter who builds it.

But, as noted,, we do not hear about all the happy customers as much as we hear about those with "issues."

Buy the NM of your choice, and if, by chance there is a flaw,, then address it accordingly. Just don't expect FA quality at a Ruger price.

And yes,, while I own several OM Rugers,, I also own several NM Rugers. More of my OM .45's required the chambers to be reamed than the NM's I own.

I think everyone have heard horror stories about guns in general. Lots of the are exaggerated some are just false. Hand pick one from the gun shop got nothing to lose! Look it over take your time and if you see a flaw move on or haggle. Your Choice.
Customer Service at Ruger is awesome in my limited experience. ps

Onty

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:
I have a 45 Colt New Model; it's 3 years old. I haven't had any issues with it and I did buy it brand new. I believe its a Williams distributor exclusive...
I have feeling that revolvers made as distributor exclusive are better quality than those run-of-the-mill.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Onty said:
Kevin said:
I have a 45 Colt New Model; it's 3 years old. I haven't had any issues with it and I did buy it brand new. I believe its a Williams distributor exclusive...
I have feeling that revolvers made as distributor exclusive are better quality than those run-of-the-mill.
I think they have a better finish and fit. The $500 .45's posted earlier here are finished very nicely. Blended grip frames are one feature. I wish Mike still had those.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I took several Single Sixes and Blackhawks out last week. I killed a 22 lb turkey last Wednesday, so I had free afternoons, as Missouri's turkey hunting stops at 1 pm. These wonderful single actions all grip the same, feel same in my hand , except recoil. I have a rock pile I drive by on the way to my blind. I dusted rocks with Old Model .22's (LR and M). My .41 got a good workout. As well as .45's. And a 1976 Super BH. .45's included a 1972 convertible and the stainless ones we've posted about here. Excellent shooters. I ran out of time for Vaqueros.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I've not got the collection that some of these gentlemen have, but I've got a little of both, and one of the nicest is a NM 7 1/2 inch stainless Blackhawk in 45 colt.
Be confident and go for it.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Whatever you purchase I recommend that you have it in your hands before you spend your money. Quality varies considerably on new production guns. I rarely handle one in the shops these days where, when cocked slooowwwllly, one chamber (and only one) doesn't carry up properly. The hammer reaches full cock and the cylinder bolt does not rise and lock the cylinder. When cocked normally all six usually lock up. Once there's a bit of wear on that ratchet tooth I worry that a round could be fired without the cylinder locked. I've noticed this going back several years and keep expecting Ruger to correct it, but I haven't seen it yet. You could always stretch the pawl a bit, but you should not have to do that on a new gun.

Best Regards,
ADP3