SP101 convert

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've carried an SP101 for a few years after it became too painful to draw the KP95DC from a strongside holster. About 6 months back I was talking to a co-worker who had a pretty low regard for Ruger brand guns. During the conversation, I showed him my SP101 and he seemed to like the size/grip/weight.
A couple of nights back we were discussing work by telephone and he said "You'll never guess what I did last week". At first I wasn't sure I even wanted to know what he might have done but answered "I'm not a good guesser, tell me". He said "I bought a like new SP101 and really like the darned thing".
Well alrighty then, I'm making progress.

A long time favorite and still a favorite that gets carried:

tYT84wH.jpg

JStacy

Blackhawk
I guess I got bit by the potato chip syndrome ! I have five . 2.25 & 3" and 4.2 AS 357's plus 4.2" 327 as and 4" 32 mag as .
I put Wilson spring kits in them all and have had good luck with all of them. The 32 mag 4" is 20+ years old and is a great shooter and small game gun as is the 327 with cast bullet loads of 95 CSW @1200 . The 2.25" is a bear with heavy 357 loads so I shoot 38 spl +p+ handloads . 158 CHP @ 1000 and accurate . Still has a little bite on both ends though !!

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
I have a couple SP's.

One is an 4" .22 LR I've had for 10+ years. The other is a 3" .327 Fed mag I've had for close to 10 years. I generally shoot .32 H&R mag cast bullet reloads out of it.

silverback

Blackhawk
I picked my 3 inch up today. This was the stiffest revolver out of the box I have ever purchased. I stripped down and lubed everything. Its getting smoother with every dry fire. It will take a long time to get te action to feel like my police six.
I did find thay the lower rear trigger gaurd on the right side is more squared and not rounded off like the left side.
Mcarbo spring kit is in the mail.
I forgot how nice these feel in hand. Small and yet substantial.
Cant wait to take it out for some range time and check the sight alignment.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Liked the look and feel of the 101 with the 4" barrel. Liked the trigger pull. But...I can not cock it with one hand. Have tried several different new guns in shops with the same result, There is a short, stiff section of the hammer pull that defeats me. Is there a way to make that different? The little S&W cocks fine for me. But I liked the 4" barrel that can be had on the 101. Have not made a purchase yet so am still looking,

silverback

Blackhawk
Hopefully I will get some range time tomorrow. But I did get the mcarbo spring kit. I did the fluff and buff, installed springs, didnt need shims. Well mcarbo's kit does it again . Sweet!!!
Probably cut trigger pull in half. Much smoother in double action. I am sure that it will only improve from here.

deac45

Single-Sixer
My 3" SP in 38 Spcl is probably my most carried and shot revolver. It likes 158 gr XTP's so that's what I carry in it. For plinking, I have a light 148 gr wadcutter load worked up that is shoot-all-day fun.